Eric Duncan

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

The Jungle Book and IT were also a surprise breakouts

Personally, the big 4 mega-surprise breakouts in the last 5 years were American Sniper, Jurassic World, Deadpool 1 and It.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I'd add Jumanji to the list too

Jumanji as well, I thought NATM Numbers were a possibility after Sing but $400M? That’s insane.

10 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

I think the Russo brothers give to him a huge boost thanks to IW

No doubt. Out of all of the actors/actresses in the MCU, I think Benedict Cumberbatch is the only one who can go toe to toe in the charisma department with Robert Downy Jr. But, I think his age is what will hold him back. These movies have become increasingly grueling to work on, so I think Marvel will stick with actors under the age of 36 to be the new leaders. Need someone with some staying power for the next 10 years.

But, I also won't rule out Chris Pratt, who seems to be doing fine carrying the GOTG and the Jurassic World franchises. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I thought most people were pegging It for a break out after the trailer views?

Break out as in 150-175mil. Not 323mil. Most people were not going overly high on IT Chapter One. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, eddyxx said:

And Guardians of the Galaxy

Id say no. GOTG definetly outperformed even the most optimistic expectations, but its still a CBM and many people predicted it would atleast perform okayish to good. But id say from the MCU movies as a whole, both GOTG 1, The Avengers, IW and Black Panther could brag about having the most epic runs.

Also, i totally forgot about Bohemian Rhapsody lol. That had/has a run for the ages as well.

7 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

This was pretty memorable

The use of it wasn't memorable in a good way if you ask me. I thought that scene was the worst part of the whole movie. They were trying to do what two of the other MCU directors did before but clearly weren't able to do it as well. It was pretty clear it was second unit directors trying to imitate the style of those other directors. Couldn't they at least do the editing more tastefully?

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Id say no. GOTG definetly outperformed even the most optimistic expectations, but its still a CBM and many people predicted it would atleast perform okayish to good. But id say from the MCU movies as a whole, both GOTG 1, The Avengers, IW and Black Panther could brag about having the most epic runs.

Also, i totally forgot about Bohemian Rhapsody lol. That had/has a run for the ages as well.

Nah, no one thought Guardians would do anywhere near as well as it did. I think maybe Thor range at best is where I saw most people. Some even thought it would bomb. It's like the It: Chapter 1 of CBM's.

But yes, as far as biggest breakouts of the decade, period, the biggest has to be Jurassic World, because while I expected it to reach 1 billion WW or close to it, to break record after record after record and crush every single expectation so insanely hugely was out of this world. I spat my drink when I saw that JW had broken 500 million on WW OW and outdid Avengers in the DOM opening. "Jurassic fucking WORLD?!?!? But...... HOW???". Damn, feels like yesterday :rofl:

American Sniper is close because how in the ever loving fuck did a film like that make over 300M DOM :huh: Deadpool and It were expected to at least cross 100 (ok, some people didn't think Deadpool would do it, but c'mon, it was a CBM in 2016). I'm not sure if AS was expected to do that, and to reach for 300M and becoming the highest grossing film of 2014 domestically is mental.

But Deadpool and It are #3 and #4. And then Jumanji 2, Bohemian Rhapsody, The Greatest Showman and Get Out are obviously up there too.

I'm just waiting for the estimates of Captain Marvel's OS Weekend to come in. I still can't wrap my head around the fact it's gonna be around $300M OS. I thought I was being a tad bullish with my $500M OS total for Captain Marvel lol

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Warhorse said:

No doubt. Out of all of the actors/actresses in the MCU, I think Benedict Cumberbatch is the only one who can go toe to toe in the charisma department with Robert Downy Jr. But, I think his age is what will hold him back. These movies have become increasingly grueling to work on, so I think Marvel will stick with actors under the age of 36 to be the new leaders. Need someone with some staying power for the next 10 years.

But, I also won't rule out Chris Pratt, who seems to be doing fine carrying the GOTG and the Jurassic World franchises. 

Especially if it takes awhile for a new Guardians movie...yeah, I could see Starlord as part of the big 3 with BP and CM b/c he fills the "Cap" role when it comes to being "outdated" on Earth stuff, but he also fills the charismatic and confident role of Tony, missing on the team...

Fill in with Spidey for youth, optimism, and screw ups...Black Widow for seriousness, experience, and badssness...and Dr Strange as a "big gun", especially for the crazy stuff in the galaxy (ala Thor)...and there's a new 6:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits