Eric Duncan

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

13 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Fairly sure Doctor Strange isn't even in the 3 main new faces of the MCU post-Phase 3 honestly at this point. T'Challa, Spidey, and Captain Marvel are definitely the new main three for now.

after IW, I'll def say Dr Strange is more popular than T'Challa.

Dr.Strange 2 will probably make a billion

I definitely feel Doctor Strange 2 will get a good boost from the first one in large part to his role in Infinity War. I am surprised the gap is gonna be 5 year between films cause it's gonna be the longest wait for a sequel in the MCU. 

Anyhow with Captain Marvel almost certain to hit $1 Billion I really want Far From Home to do so making 3 $1 Billion films in the same franchise in the same year. Going to be near impossible for any franchise to replicate that.

• Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

after IW, I'll def say Dr Strange is more popular than T'Challa.

Dr.Strange 2 will probably make a billion

The thing is a little of Strange goes a long way.  He's a very abrasive character (w/o the charm, humor and humanity RDJ brings to Tony) which is why he works better in an ensemble film bouncing off of others.  AIW certainly boosted his popularity though.  I think it also boosted Holland as SM so I'm interested in how big that opens this year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

this. what JW did is what people expected AoU to do. JW wasn't big on social media compared to AoU, Star Wars. So as far as I remember, around 140M was the highest it was pegged around here. Previews didn't hint at beating TA OW. and yet here we are. Shows that social media hype isn't be all cause it doesn't show what GA thinks. sometimes interests line up sometimes they don't.

as for New Avengers, none of current characters - BP, CM, DS, SM, AM, Wasp - is the new Tony, the super charisma that's also kind of a bad boy of the gang. I don't think that new line up is as interesting mix as the original 6. 

That 18mn previews really suggested 190-200. 

17 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Fairly sure Doctor Strange isn't even in the 3 main new faces of the MCU post-Phase 3 honestly at this point. T'Challa, Spidey, and Captain Marvel are definitely the new main three for now.

Not Spider-Man. He's only being borrowed for the Avengers flicks from Sony. Sony owns all the movie rights at the moment, not Marvel, so I can't see them promoting a character to the top of the totem pole that they don't outright own. I still think it should be T'Challa, and it's too soon to see what Captain Marvel will do. Her comics and toys aren't exactly doing gang  busters, and she doesn't exactly get the crowds going like Robert Downy Jr, or heck even Tom Hiddleston (who really brought in the crowds) and he's arguably more popular than Thor was during Thor's movies. 

4 hours ago, RealLyre said:

200M domestic and 450M worldwide would be a huge breakout for Detective Pikachu imo

Considering our China insider thinks $300M in China is likely I feel like that worldwide number is a bit low.

23 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

give credit where credit is due. it wasn't fans, it was just one fan, that guy BRK or something. I remember when people on this forum reposted his calculation which was something like IM OW + Hulk OW + Thor OW + Cap OW = 600M OW

BKB but no I remember people saying the same on IMDB and SHH.

35 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I think the Russo brothers give to him a huge boost thanks to IW

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Nah, loads of people here have been giving crazy huge predictions for Detective Pikachu since the first trailer. 

To be fair, a good amount are joke predictions but I get it. Personally I think it’ll breakout but no tears will be shed if it does something like say $175M DOM/$400M-$500M WW, I just think breakout potential is high; it’s the first live action Pokémon movie, there’s a very notable buzz online and test screenings are apparently good, a PG family film allows it to breathe next to Endgame which will likely be a near 3 hour epic and be decent counter programming, and it definitely has a lot of OS potential.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RealLyre said:

I know you're joking but Detective Pikachu won't even be the number 1 movie on its opening weekend, it'll fall under EG's 3rd weekend.

Eh, I have a feeling that Detective Pikachu is going to be the monster that will cut off whatever legs End Game was planning on having. End Game isn't going to one of those fun movies. It's going to be depressing, polarizing with whoever lives, dies, etc. People are going to be looking for a movie that can uplift them, and I think Picachu will be that movie, plus it will have that kiddie factor going for it.

24 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The thing is aside from CM the others aren't even "new" now unlike with the first Avengers where everyone had just been seen once except for Tony.  Now it's only Carol who's "new" and even by  Avengers 5 she might already have been in three movies.  

Whereas with the first Avengers, they were writing it before Thor came out and had finished filming it by the time CA: TFA came out & Hulk was re-cast.   Tony & Steve were co- leads b/c of their roles and dynamic as leaders in half a century of comics (that and Iron Man was huge and RDJ is a rockstar).  Even then Black Widow had the third most screen time in Avengers as a narrative and character choice for the film not based on the strength of her previous appearance in IM2 or the comics.

The new configuration of the Avengers will have several films from each of the members before it's even going to be written and all those appearances and films in all probability will strongly affect how it's written. 

Even though we're probably losing most of the OGs it will be interesting to see the new team dynamics going forward.  I kinda wish they would leave Rocket on earth to stay in The Avengers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, raulbalarezo said:

I was excited for the soundtrack, but it sounded kinda generic, nothing memorable :(

It would have been cool if the synth elements were pushed even more but maybe it would have been too close to Ragnarok's score. Still one of the better MCU scores they've definitely improved in the past couple of year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Dr Strange

Homecoming

Black Panther

3 Movies I didn't liked that much in theatre watch but loved in re-watches.

Hopefully Captain Marvel will be so.

in your opinion could spiderman far from home be bigger than captain marvel ww total ?