Eric Duncan

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

19 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

There was an infamous post from a user here in the JW OS thread who said that JW will gross under Godzilla 14 worlwide :lol: And then JW outgrossed G14's 524M in its Opening Weekend Worldwide :lol:

Not only under Godzilla WW but by a large margin too. $380 million WW. 😂

Can't describe how unoriginal this film is. The only mildly interesting featute of the film is Chris Pratt. It is annoyingly similar to Godzilla which was also made by Legendary Pictures (unsurprisingly).

Overall, a gross similar to Godzilla would not surprise me but I think audiences learnt their lesson from last year. It didn't help that Godzilla had bad reception so I believe this will gross less - especially in North America.

Prediction: $140M in NA, $240M elsewhere (only because of China).

• Haha 1

Just now, Brainbug said:

Beeing a Jurassic Park fan in June 2015 was extremely, extremely satiesfying.

Absolutely one of the BEST weekend threads on here since I started back in 2014 honestly.

• Like 4

Just now, Mulder said:

Absolutely one of the BEST weekend threads on here since I started back in 2014 honestly.

The best weekends are those where the numbers just keep getting bigger ... and bigger ... and bigger. JW is the prime example for that. @Rthmar-vell jizzed his pants so often ive had lost count (was a lurker back then).

6 minutes ago, Mulder said:

For sure. From the Thursday numbers estimates, the estimates just got higher and higher and higher until it smashed the opening record. Awesome weekend thread.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Avatree said:

For sure. From the Thursday numbers estimates, the estimates just got higher and higher and higher until it smashed the opening record. Awesome weekend thread.

Black Panther weekend was fun too. Infinity War I was pretty pumped up with international #s through Thursday but Friday NA seem bit low missing that TFA weekend. Once I got Saturday # estimates in morning at $78-80mn, it was all good again. And Sunday also bumped a bit than what I would have expected.

Hopefully End Game will be one such.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, LexJoker said:

Nobody saw JW grossing as much as it did.

this. what JW did is what people expected AoU to do. JW wasn't big on social media compared to AoU, Star Wars. So as far as I remember, around 140M was the highest it was pegged around here. Previews didn't hint at beating TA OW. and yet here we are. Shows that social media hype isn't be all cause it doesn't show what GA thinks. sometimes interests line up sometimes they don't.

as for New Avengers, none of current characters - BP, CM, DS, SM, AM, Wasp - is the new Tony, the super charisma that's also kind of a bad boy of the gang. I don't think that new line up is as interesting mix as the original 6. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Black Panther weekend was fun too. Infinity War I was pretty pumped up with international #s through Thursday but Friday NA seem bit low missing that TFA weekend. Once I got Saturday # estimates in morning at $78-80mn, it was all good again. And Sunday also bumped a bit than what I would have expected.

Hopefully End Game will be one such.

Not really comparable since those films were all expected to open that high anyway... Really up until JW opening day there was no expectation remotely close to what it did.

5 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Lol, the person who thinks that Detective Pikachu is only doing 400-600mil worldwide. Reminds me of the hilariously ultra low Aquaman predictions. 

hey now, Aquaman was facing that sure-fire billie juggernaut MPR. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

hey now, Aquaman was facing that sure-fire billie juggernaut MPR. ;)

I will never stop bringing up the great Aquaman and Mary Poppins battle on Twitter. Everybody is wrong so I have no issue with people being wrong about predictions but the smugness from certain people who wanted Aquaman to fell and there by propped up Mary Poppins Returns will not be forgotten by me any time soon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terrestrial said:

What ppl seem to forget: BP was already known way more before BP's release than CM before her movie (in their presentation per an actor/actress) = this does not take anything away from BP, but it is a difference.

We have co-leads with the actual Avengers, why do ppl look for a solo lead for the future?

Also why is everyone forgetting that before Dr. Strange released Feige said it was going to be him who would be new face of MCU 

2 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Also why is everyone forgetting that before Dr. Strange released Feige said it was going to be him who would be new face of MCU 

There in lies the issue. The film was another hit for Marvel but it was no Iron Man in terms of people fallling in love with it and its hero. Kevin Feige is a smart guy, he knows what actually happened. So it doesn't matter what he said before. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Ehh the best weekend thread for me was The Avengers OW. That's around the time I stopped lurking. 

NOT A RECORD

Fun looking at the predictions for o/w a few months before as well

On 11/10/2011 at 11:05 PM, 'FilmBuff said:

Maybe, it is me. I just don't see this film being successful in the future. The whole idea of a team-up superhero seems lame and unoriginal. Why would audience be interested and go see a super hero film like this? It seems like a mix-mash idea. The comic book fans will obviously see it, but it will not draw in mainstream audicens like many on here believe. I see at the most 275 million for it. Why would it make more if Captain America and Thor didn't even cross 200 mil?OW 80 MilDomestic 275 milWW 525 Mil

• Haha 5