Eric Duncan

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Lol

My first favourite weekend thread was Freddy Vs Jason in 2003 on BOM. 

@baumer, remember? 😍

Oh wow!  That was a blast, wasn't it?

32 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I thought most people were pegging It for a break out after the trailer views?

Depends on how big of a breakout we are talking about. My $100M OW club for it had way more people out than in for it. With most folks having it open in the $60-70M range. Which I guess technically is a breakout for a horror movie but no where near what it actually did. 

12 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

China

Previews: $2.3mn

Friday: $32.2mn

Saturday: $33.6mn

Sunday: $20.7mn

Weekend: $88.8mn

Seems like $140-145mn full run.

Faster...Higher...Crumbling!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
  • Knock It Off 2

The Jungle Book, It, Fast and Furious 7, Jurassic World, Secret Life of Pets, 50 Shades,

I would say these are all good recent examples of films that already had big positive expectations for opening weekend but still broke out further and went well beyond those predictions.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

Faster...Higher...Crumbling!

Those pesky pre-sales! Lol. I hope the next MCU film will have mediocre pre-sales so that we won't expect much for its OW and then we get excited once the figure is higher than we expected. I hate the feeling of expecting higher because of huge pre-sales and then suddenly becoming disappointed once the predictions start to go lower and lower and lower.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Those pesky pre-sales! Lol. I hope the next MCU film will have mediocre pre-sales so that we won't expect much for its OW and then we get excited once the figure is higher than we expected. I hate the feeling of expecting higher because of huge pre-sales and then suddenly becoming disappointed once the predictions start to go lower and lower and lower.  

The next one is Avengers, for God's sake :rofl:

But yeah, after all of the initial tracking and expectations, it is a slight bummer that Captain Marvel didn't make 90 in China.... that being said, it's still a huge result, bigger than Black Panther and Homecoming, and it's a hit regardless. Not all of them are gonna be Venoms and Aquamans over there. (I actually liked Aquaman more than CM, btw....... haven't seen Venom yet).

Edited by MCKillswitch123

1 minute ago, KP1025 said:

WW, Frozen was one of the biggest surprises of the decade for me. Basically doubled my expectations (was expecting around Tangled numbers at best). 

The Greatest Showman has The Greatest Run from my conscious lifetime.