Eric the Fall Guy

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

4 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

so 6th largest global opening passing BvS and TLJ. that's massive :ohmygod:

how much above 1 billion can it do? I'm thinking 1.1B :thinking:

Would need a breakdown somewhat like this

DOM - 153 x 2.75 = 420.75

CHINA - 88.5 x 1.7 = 150.45

OS-C - 213.5 x 2.47 =  $528.8

(Japan will probably toss in about $15m)

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Thur Previews was male/female - 60/40

55/45 by end of weekend bodes well for the female % to keep rising.

Then again -  WW was m/f - 45/55 over the first weekend and 48/52 after 2 weeks

I want to say the Thursday deadline update for Wonder Woman was exactly 50/50 for male/female, but it’s been a while 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

so 6th largest global opening passing         TLJ. that's massive :ohmygod:

:bravo:

I certainly want it to leg it out over TLJ but I'll lower my expectations to over RO. 

Also, CM global launch>>>>>>>>>>>Solo lifetime gross 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, andersonhoran said:

Incels right now

kEGRZo8.gif

I'd say this should tell them that they should give up their "boycotts" because they always flop but we all know they'll soldier on in hopes that something will stick eventually.

Ironic that in a year like this, even after we finally have blockbuster numbers, it's still a relatively boring one. Above tracking for sure, but most were expecting an OW around the $140-160M range, barring a couple of people here and there predicting a potential breakout based on presales.

But of course, a $153M OW is nothing to sneeze at, and shows the POWAH of the MCU brand. The fact that this is basically the first time we're seeing this character (I don't care about that IW pager BS), and it's openings already bigger than just about every solo MCU solo minus BP is kind of mind-boggling. And while potential indirect competition like Us and Dumbo might give it a bit of a dent (although they might just give CM double features with Dumbo, ya never know), it's relatively smooth sailing up until Shazam, and it should cross the $400M mark with relative ease. With a 2.75x multiplier, that would be around $420.7M. Hopefully it makes about $700K less for...reasons.

Arguably the even bigger success story is its OS results. The fact that this managed to beat out Black Panther's global OW despite the US results being $50M less is astonishing and bodes well for Endgame in these markets. Should also mean another billion grosser.

Outside of CM, holds weren't actually all that bad. While it would've been cool to see Dragon 3 drop sub-50%, it's still a pretty decent drop, and it should continue to hold well for the next couple of weeks up until Dumbo. Madea and Lego also had okay holds, and Alita's definitely could have been worse. Green Book's China box office is also impressive and honestly pretty mind-boggling (although having Alibaba as an investor probably helps its performance in that country quite a bit).

Oh, and Gloria Bell's $30K PTA seems pretty decent. It's better than Climax's opening from last week in the same TC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Good start for Gloria Bell as well. $30K PTA from 5 theaters.

That's a remake of a Chilean movie, by the same director even. 

I watched the original in theaters, it was very good, one of the few Chilean movies that I like

Edited by salvador-232
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Would need a breakdown somewhat like this

DOM - 153 x 2.75 = 420.75

CHINA - 88.5 x 1.7 = 150.45

OS-C - 213.5 x 2.47 =  $528.8

(Japan will probably toss in about $15m)

IMO

Dom 375-400

China 140

OS-C $525-550mn

Total: $1040-1090mn.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Ironic that in a year like this, even after we finally have blockbuster numbers, it's still a relatively boring one. 

:whosad: #MeToo

OS was par/better than expectations, China did a BP but US ok but seems so (I was not getting the word, thanks to you) BORING.