Eric Furiosa

Weekend Thread (3/15-3/17): Captain Marvel 68, Wonder Park 15.8, Five Feet Apart 13.2, Dragon 9.3, Madea 7.8

2 minutes ago, tawasal said:

It was assisted by the 8.7m thursday and it made 50% of it gross on it's 4-5 days and that's through an extended weekend holiday. Everything after will look rosy. 

A 3x is a 3x. 

3 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

A 3x is a 3x. 

It's and it's not bad, but you need context to go with it after all this is the weekend to weekend performance. 

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Week
Feb 15, 2019 1 $28,525,613   3,790 $7,527   $37,241,845 1
Feb 22, 2019 2 $12,342,291 -57% 3,802 $3,246   $61,023,359 2
Mar 1, 2019 3 $7,221,417 -41% 3,096 $2,332   $72,452,725 3
Mar 8, 2019 5 $3,215,344 -55% 2,374 $1,354   $78,361,408 4

You need to calculate it this way to get a true measurement. 

80/37*100 = 2.16x

Edited by tawasal
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

Disney movies make billies like it s a formality while other studios keep dreaming of that number or have one once in a blue moon.

If you read BOT at the time of the release of Ultron and Civial War , you d swear they were borderline flops.

And Beauty and the Beast made massive  numbers while everybody was yawning.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Disney movies make billies like it s a formality while other studios keep dreaming of that number or have one once in a blue moon.

Do you just drop wisdom once a day? 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

If you read BOT at the time of the release of Ultron and Civial War , you d swear they were bordelrine flops.

Disney churns out multiple billion dollar movies every year since 2015 that you'd think it's so easy to achieve now. That's why people like Grace Randolph aren't that impressed with $1B now and saying things like "$2B is the new $1B".

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

If you read BOT at the time of the release of Ultron and Civial War , you d swear they were bordelrine flops.

I haven't discovered BOT yet when CW opened. I can only imagine the panic when it had such short legs. Lol. But why did it have short legs though?

1 minute ago, UserHN said:

I haven't discovered BOT yet when CW opened. I can only imagine the panic when it had such short legs. Lol. But why did it have short legs though?

You don't want to open that can of worms trust me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

13 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I mean it's a 80 million, that's pretty terrible for a 170 million production budget. Leggy or not.

It depends on its worldwide numbers. Maybe it can be saved by a $600M worldwide gross. Can it reach that though? Are there some huge markets left?

Just now, The Futurist said:

You don't want to open that can of worms trust me.

I'm just curious as to why it had such short legs. Maybe if that movie was called Avengers: Civil War, it could have made at least $1.3B.

1 minute ago, UserHN said:

It depends on its worldwide numbers. Maybe it can be saved by a $600M worldwide gross. Can it reach that though? Are there some huge markets left?

It seems to have opened in all major areas internationally. 

2 minutes ago, UserHN said:

I wasn't around BOT at the time but my reasoning was a combination of Avengers faitigue after Ultron, being more appealing to hardcore MCU fans than GA and continuity lockout with Winter Soldier being essential viewing a film which grossed half of Ultron.

22 minutes ago, UserHN said:

It's opened everywhere already. Final WW gross should be around $410 million. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, UserHN said:

No, 500 is out of reach too. Maybe 400+? I'm not commenting on the quality. Could be great, haven't seen it, not my cup of tea.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

So it will have the typical MCU 50-55 % second-week drop. I don't understand what made some people think this would have a Wonder Woman/Black Panther-like second frame decrease, when it is quite evident that the actual word of mouth for CM is ok, not spectacular like those other two films.

Can you point out the people or posts where people seriously thought CM would have a drop like WW (and make 87m)?Because I cant find these posts. 

Or are you just trying to stir the pot?

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 12

36 minutes ago, UserHN said:

No, should go just barely over 400

35 minutes ago, UserHN said:

I'm just curious as to why it had such short legs. Maybe if that movie was called Avengers: Civil War, it could have made at least $1.3B.

Agree with Futurist in "you don't wanna open that can of worms". Seriously, the meltdowns were crazy... I'm pretty sure there was an over 200M OW and 600M DOM club or something along those lines. 

Among the rational theories, I think a lot of them were along the lines of "it was a fans-only event"

6 minutes ago, expensiveho said:

Remember how BOT predicted <2.1x legs for IW because there was no way it'd be less front loaded than CW? :hahaha:

After AoU people were saying there was no way Infinity War would hit 400M, lotta people (not everyone) were calling for the end of the MCU box-office wise. Hilarious in retrospect. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1