Eric Lasagna

Weekend Thread (3/15-3/17): Captain Marvel 68, Wonder Park 15.8, Five Feet Apart 13.2, Dragon 9.3, Madea 7.8

1 hour ago, Deep Wang said:

Well, not when you are comparing apples to oranges.

The example I like to use is Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.  It has 3day multi of like 3.70, which is really good.  However, it opened on a Wednesday and it burned off around $90m in demand Wed/Thursday which in turn deflated the opening weekend.  

So while the number is technically good, it's deceiving because it made nearly a quarter of its total gross before the opening weekend took place.  The stat to look at would be the 5day multi, which is 2x, and that's not good.  

This is why 4day/5day opening weekends are harder to compare with 3day weekends.

Just take the pre-Friday gross out of the total and calculate the multi off the 3-day OW. TF2 run without its 91m on Wed/Thurs would be 109/311, which is ~2.85x. Obviously if it actually opened on Friday the multi wouldn't be exactly the same, in most cases it'd be lower cause the movie would be more frontloaded and its first couple of weekend holds would be worse. But it makes more sense this way than to look at the 5-day multi. It's not like TF2 would have come anywhere near a 200m FSS opening.

11 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Dragon and LEGO lost too many screens this weekend, in the same playing locs they were up 100%+.

Dragon only lost 7.8% of it's theaters even if it's screen loss was more severe.

If it was a normal week with no schools out the Friday jumps would be 200%+ and well over 100% even with severe location lost.  

Just look at the weekdays where Dragon 3 was from last week  M- Thur  -21.3% / -14.9%/ 4% / 5.5%    Not normal.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Still not sure why Focus put Captive State in 2,500+ theaters. Movie was a dumped dud if there ever was one.

Might have been contractual.

Wyatt really failed to capitalize on Planet Of The Apes. He left the second film of his own accord didn't he?  Poor career choice.

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Still not sure why Focus put Captive State in 2,500+ theaters. Movie was a dumped dud if there ever was one.

Still not sure why they didn't sold it to Netflix.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sfran43 said:

Finally!

I wasn't the biggest fan of the first LEGO but it's sad how much this franchise has flat lined when it had all the potential for growth.  It was certainly more worthy for a long life than say Ice Age, Madacascar or Cars

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

So is US taking #1 easily next weekend or it's gonna be a photofinish with CM? I expect US to exceed tracking but CM to have softer drop than this weekend. 

Should be #1.  I don't see it doing under $40m and probably  not $50m

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I wasn't the biggest fan of the first LEGO but it's sad how much this franchise has flat lined when it had all the potential for growth.  It was certainly more worthy for a long life than say Ice Age, Madacascar or Cars

I liked human factor in first LEGO somewhat. The second one is simply bleh. I don't understand the high ratings the films have.

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Was WB not able to get Lord & Miller to commit to this project earlier? This sequel was waaaaay too late.

9 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

People are blaming franchise fatigue and what not but I just think that anything that doesn't follow the Pixar style animation (so your typical Disney Animation, Illumination, Dreamworks movies follow this style of animation) just aren't as attractive to audiences, especially families and kids. I think the same thing will happen to the Spider-verse franchise sooner or later. Stop motion is also pretty much dead financially so at this stage that would pretty much be the only franchise/brand that doesn't follow the CGI Pixar style animation that could be financially successful for the next few years until the novelty wears off (like with the Lego franchise). 

Just like with The Lego Movie 2, Spider-verse 2 likely won't match the quality of the first film too. Might actually be in a worse state because neither the directors nor the writers will return for Spider-verse 2 while Lord and Miller stayed to write Lego Movie 2.

Edited by lorddemaxus

Just now, LexJoker said:

Was WB not able to get Lord & Miller to commit to this project earlier? This sequel was waaaaay too late.

Being late didn't hurt it as much as having Ninjago and Batman in the middle.  Frozen 2 will have a larger wait and somehow I don't think it's going to take a 60% plunge

9 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Being late didn't hurt it as much as having Ninjago and Batman in the middle.  Frozen 2 will have a larger wait and somehow I don't think it's going to take a 60% plunge

But Batman was actually good.