Eric Prime

Weekend Thread (3/15-3/17): Captain Marvel 68, Wonder Park 15.8, Five Feet Apart 13.2, Dragon 9.3, Madea 7.8

10 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Sometimes things just are.  St. Patrick's festivities people might celebrate Saturday,  people might celebrate Sunday. Maybe they'll go next weekend,  maybe it will be a sub 40% drop. 

I don't think the festivities played a factor at all.  It's a pretty standard drop off a big opening weekend.  It wasn't a 60% drop so that's good for it.  It's too early to say it has good legs,  bad legs or standard legs. It's looking like it'll be right in the middle to me.  Which is fine.  That means it will comfortably cross $400M and a billion.  

Not sure what more people are expecting.  This isn't Black Panther and never was. It's closer to Guardians of the Galaxy 2 with a bigger OS. 

The funny thing is that this felt like a phase 1 movie to me, and I think it will get a Thor/CA phase one multi. Which is perfectly fine when you open as big as CM did.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tawasal said:

It's and it's not bad, but you need context to go with it after all this is the weekend to weekend performance. 

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Week
Feb 15, 2019 1 $28,525,613   3,790 $7,527   $37,241,845 1
Feb 22, 2019 2 $12,342,291 -57% 3,802 $3,246   $61,023,359 2
Mar 1, 2019 3 $7,221,417 -41% 3,096 $2,332   $72,452,725 3
Mar 8, 2019 5 $3,215,344 -55% 2,374 $1,354   $78,361,408 4

You need to calculate it this way to get a true measurement. 

80/37*100 = 2.16x

I would just do it like this:

Let's say it makes around 86m in the end.

86m - 8.7m = $77.3m /28.525 so about an 2.71 multi add a litle on that becaue of burned of demand and you get 2.8 ish? 

2 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

The funny thing is that this felt like a phase 1 movie to me, and I think it will get a Thor/CA phase one multi. Which is perfectly fine when you open as big as CM did.  

then if that will happen we lookin at multi between 2.7-.2.8 very good again if wwe take this as a guess 

34 minutes ago, pepsa said:

It still baffels me that they are going with that narative.

And the irony is great in this one.

They say: Liberals always take feelings over facts. They love the slogan 'facts don't care about your feelings' and than they spend 2 weeks spinning the results of a movie thats clearly doing good buisness and can't admit that they were wrong and get emotions get the best of them.

I mean CM is locked to do over 1B thats a great feet for almost every movie (maybe not for EG, SW9 or Avatar 2).

If we take the $740m WW after this weekend it will probably take atleast 2 more weekends to get to 1B and the WoM should leg it close to 1.1B after that I guess. 

oh then they'll go with But Didn't Pass Iron Man 3 Muahahahah narrative. they always find one. :lol: I'm thinking that they aren't really worked up over anything in particular but just enjoy shitposting and annoying everyone else. Also, it doesn't hurt them (quite the contrary) that liberal media tends to give them too much spotlight which in return fuels more shitposting and tatrnums.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, john2000 said:

sorry maybe i will sound like a bad person but i really want to see the meltdowns if lion king makes (only) 1.5 billion dollars i want that movie to hit 2 billion but really i would want to see that same for detective pikachu if it hits only 700 milion

Hey I'm not a bad person either but I would love the former to happen.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I thought FWMF was the first real Rock flop since Baywatch but I see that budget was only 11M so not a flop.

Skyscraper flopped domestically too. 

MGM bought FWMF for $17m for distribution, so it’s still a flop for it’s studio. 

1 hour ago, The Fast and the Furiosa said:

Spring Break and St. Patrick’s definitely. Even Panther had muted performances this weekend last year 

Jut look at Hunger Games - it did $58.5m off an $18.5m w/e.  It continued to have lowish internal multipliers and lowish Friday jumps until Spring Break and Easter holidays passed in late April. 

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=hungergames.htm

The small Friday jumps this week for Dragon 3 and LEGO 2 show how much weekdays were inflated as schools were out

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Jut look at Hunger Games - it did $58.5m off an $18.5m w/e.  It continued to have lowish internal multipliers and lowish Friday jumps until Spring Break and Easter holidays passed in late April. 

The small Friday jumps this week for Dragon 3 and LEGO 2 show how much weekdays were inflated as schools were out

so big weekdays with better holds but muted weekends with not big increases or i understood it wrong

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Dragon and LEGO lost too many screens this weekend, in the same playing locs they were up 100%+.

• Like 1