Eric Prime

US WEEKEND THREAD: Record 70.25 OW (highest grossing OW for an original horror)

53 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

Hopefully Peele stays away from the comic book movie swamp. The dude is way too talented for that. 

Ryan Coogler, who is equally as talented, didn't turn his nose up at the notion of doing a CBM and I'm glad he didn't or we wouldn't have gotten the phenomenon that was Black Panther. 

That said, I don't have a strong urge to see Peele do a CBM, so he can steer clear if he likes. 

• Like 2

Jordan Peele is not a good fit for superhero movies in the current climate. After what happened to Zack Snyder, other visionary directors will either scare studio executives with their innovative ideas, or get them meddling with his work. Superhero movies are so popular right now, that studios will always try to make them as mediocre as possible to maximize their profits. The genre needs to die in order to be revived in a few years with actual creativity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 12

1 minute ago, Napoleon said:

Jordan Peele is not a good fit for superhero movies in the current climate. After what happened to Zack Snyder, other visionary directors will either scare studio executives with their innovative ideas, or get them meddling with his work. Superhero movies are so popular right now, that studios will always try to make them as mediocre as possible to maximize their profits. The genre needs to die in order to be revived in a few years with actual creativity.

Lmao. Snyder wishes he was as inventive as Peele. Please.

• Like 3

For those who have seen it, without spoilers, how scary is it?  Like, I reaaaally want to go (and stare at Winston Duke 😍), but I kind of hate horror movies.  Are we talking A Quiet Place, where that family was so stupid I was like, cool story, die now.  Or are we talking Halloween, omg he's following her home in broad daylight and that's a primal fear of mine, and I need to turn this off now?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

For those who have seen it, without spoilers, how scary is it?  Like, I reaaaally want to go (and stare at Winston Duke 😍), but I kind of hate horror movies.  Are we talking A Quiet Place, where that family was so stupid I was like, cool story, die now.  Or are we talking Halloween, omg he's following her home in broad daylight and that's a primal fear of mine, and I need to turn this off now?  

No real spoilers below but just in case

Spoiler

Most scenes that are really scary are also really funny.  Hard to explain without watching it.  Only scenes that I’d say without reservations are terrifying happen in the 3rd act.  See it with as big of a crowd as you can as well.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

No real spoilers below but just in case

Thank you!  And, okay, sounds doable.  Probably try to catch it on Sunday.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I’m so fucking happy right now. Go Peele! 

As for tentpoles like Nolan or Spielberg, I’d rather he do his own ideas than a CBM or remake.

He's already involved in 2 remakes and I wouldn't be surprised if he directs one soon. Even the best desire a break from conjuring up original ideas or just want to remake something they enjoyed. 

38 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

We get it, Mr. Snyder. You're pissed. Move on.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Deadline stealing some more BOT estimates:)...

PS - And as someone mentioned earlier, I'll say some early posts are now aging really well - the "don't get carried away either direction" ones:)...but we still have 3 more days to judge them!

Edited by TwoMisfits

11 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Jordan Peele’s ‘Us’ Shutting Down ‘The Nun’, ‘A Quiet Place’ Openings With $64M-$68M Start - Midday Update

https://deadline.com/2019/03/us-jordan-peele-weekend-box-office-1202580617/

7da6e108c341964e89743f582ed8e981e9554ee4

Awfully early numbers on the holdovers...I'd expect some of those to change in both directions...but better early numbers than no numbers:)...

PS - Actual Friday estimates...

Us $27-$28M (True Friday of $19.6-$20.6M)

Capt Marvel $8.5-$9M

None for other holdovers...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1