CaptainJackSparrow

Elvis | WB | June 24 2022 | Tom Hanks is Elvis' manager | Baz Luhrmann directs | RIP Lisa Marie Presley

Trailer for this got quite a reaction from my sold out audience with Batman. They had been talking throughout most of the trailers, including this one, but Elvis's "It has everything to do with us..." followed by "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH....MY LOVE" bellow seemed to freeze the theater. The were noticeable and immediate drop in talking when that rang out. 

Not sure how this will do. But the middle and ending parts of the trailer are incredibly well edited.

• Like 2

On 3/7/2022 at 7:45 PM, Mojoguy said:

So the trailer told me Elvis drove women crazy. 😆

I hope the film does not concentrate on that aspect.

Elvis had a huge impact on popular music. He did not create Rock and Roll, but he certainoly populized it a way no one had done before. There is a reason he has such a important place in the history of American Pop Music.

Nah, he's mediocre and fortunately he has been losing his overratness ass. Hopefully basic academy members don't fall for this bait, but that's too much to ask.

OT: those fans thinking that batman will put a dune next year, when they see the whole Warner's machine campaigning for this movie instead Lol

Edited by Lighthouse

Got to watch this properly for the first time, in front of The Northman. Im still not a fan of how some of this looks very streaming show-esque, but Luhrmann doing way more interesting stuff here than I initially thought (interesting how he shot parts of it like a horror film). Don't think it'll be a standard biopic like most are expecting. This or Nope could be my movie of the summer.

I'm already seeing some hype for this on social media with Austin Butler's GQ article. I see it being a decent hit tbh. Probably get mediocre reviews though. Like I'm thinking Great Gatsby or Bohemian Rhapsody critical reception. I'm just interested in how the black characters will be portrayed in the film. 

Edited by ban1o

28 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Wonder if we will hear Lisa Marie Presley's reactions as well. She's lived a fascinating life, including being married to Michael Jackson and Nicolas Cage. Might be interesting to see a movie or miniseries about her.

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

It was a long time before I learned that Priscilla and Elvis had divorced before his death. They were married and he died, I thought she was his widow.

5 minutes ago, ban1o said:

I wonder how they handled his relationship with Priscilla in this. Can't imagine it was an accurate portrayal. 

They want to make money and get awards, so probably not... When you have Priscilla herself singing the movie's praises and the man himself, that makes it much harder for the "Elvis was a predator, his legacy should be canceled!" narrative to take hold. Especially since Priscilla became a celebrity in her own right (solid 80s/90s acting career), her perspective doesn't just get dismissed like some other women who were preyed upon by older male artistic geniuses.

14 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

It was a long time before I learned that Priscilla and Elvis had divorced before his death. They were married and he died, I thought she was his widow.

They want to make money and get awards, so probably not... When you have Priscilla herself singing the movie's praises and the man himself, that makes it much harder for the "Elvis was a predator, his legacy should be canceled!" narrative to take hold. Especially since Priscilla became a celebrity in her own right (solid 80s/90s acting career), her perspective doesn't just get dismissed like some other women who were preyed upon by older male artistic geniuses.

I'm not going to get into a debate of the morality of grooming (or sleeping with) a 14 year old when you're 24

I'm just genuinely curious on how they will depict it. They show him kissing Priscilla in the trailer so I'm assuming their romance is in the film some capacity . Usually in in these musical biopics they show how the singer meet their love interest.  Will they skip over how they met? Age her up? Or will they actually depict him starting a relationship with a 14 year old? I can't be the only person curious lol. 

Edited by ban1o

3 hours ago, ban1o said:

I'm not going to get into a debate of the morality of grooming (or sleeping with) a 14 year old when you're 24

I'm just genuinely curious on how they will depict it. They show him kissing Priscilla in the trailer so I'm assuming their romance is in the film some capacity . Usually in in these musical biopics they show how the singer meet their love interest.  Will they skip over how they met? Age her up? Or will they actually depict him starting a relationship with a 14 year old? I can't be the only person curious lol. 

I wasn't arguing in favor of a grown Elvis "dating" 14 year old Priscilla, just saying that she doesn't frame herself as a victim of him even now, so that might affect how the average moviegoer views all that. I mean, even when there is a #MeToo narrative about some celebrity with on-the-record victims, you have people dismissing them as liars and supporting the guy anyway.

Maybe the script will not really get into how old she was when they first met, or play it like he didn't really mess with her until she was 18. If the movie is the story of music in the 50s, 60s and 70s or whatever it was that Luhrmann said, he doesn't really have to focus on their relationship at all. Acknowledge it existed, but maybe this is more about Colonel Parker and Elvis than Priscilla and Elvis. It "helps" the producers, I guess you can say, that Elvis didn't marry Priscilla until she was 21, so the movie just has to dance around the creepy part where she was in high school and he was 10 years older.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ban1o said:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2