CaptainJackSparrow

Elvis | WB | June 24 2022 | Tom Hanks is Elvis' manager | Baz Luhrmann directs | RIP Lisa Marie Presley

Baz came out and said this is moreso a story of the dramatic changes in America from the 50s to the 70s and they use Elvis as the vehicle to tell that story. No doubt it's going to be a sad ending.

4 hours ago, excel1 said:

LMAO wtf @ those screams. Hopefully the editing is better in the movie. 

That is pretty much what happened; though it happened  a bit later in Elvis's career then his "Lousiana Hayride" days.

On the show, Elvis did pretty much straight country music. The rock and roll came a bit later.

But at his height, the crowd reaction was as over the top as anything during Beatlemania. In fact, during Beatlemania, the comparasion was made between that and Ehlvis's days.

But I knew Baz was going to take a few liberties.

Edited by dudalb

3 hours ago, Jonwo said:

With the exception of Strictly Ballroom and Australia, Baz's film tend to end with a death so Elvis will be no different. 

final scene gonna be an overedited elvis on the toilet death set to an anachronistic lil nas x song or something let's fucking gooo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Besides the whole clip being terrible, he looks bad. I shouldn't have taken those screening reactions seriously.

Let's see if there is little competition this year that can allow WB campaign machine to achieve something.

morgan-freeman-good-luck.gif

3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Besides the whole clip being terrible, he looks bad. I shouldn't have taken those screening reactions seriously.

Let's see if there is little competition this year that can allow WB campaign machine to achieve something.

Ha.  It is anything but bad.  It's fucking great.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, MrPink said:

Oh my god they kept the Justice League Come Together song lol

Uh, you know that song was is a Beatles classic. Sung by Lennon, it was the opening song for the Beatles last album, "Abbey Road".

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Uh, you know that song was is a Beatles classic. Sung by Lennon, it was the opening song for the Beatles last album, "Abbey Road".

No! I've never heard of this song. Who are the Beatles? I do know this Gary Clark Jr though.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

Maybe the Cannes premiere will change my mind, and I'm aware this movie is likely really, really, really good, but my big issue when it comes to this movie being a breakout is that I don't think this has a lot of appeal to younger viewers, which is what helps these kind of music biopics break out. The two biggest of these kinds of movies were Straight Outta Compton and Bohemian Rhapsody, and those films brought in a lot of younger people my age that don't usually come out for these types of dramas. NWA and Queen's music is still huge with people my age, plus Dre, Cube, Brian May, etc. are still active in the business. Queen still tours all the time with Adam Lambert, Ice Cube's in a ton of movies, Dre does a lot of stuff on the business side of things. They all played active parts in the ad campaign and all did a great job crossing over to people born after their peaks.

Elvis doesn't really have that. I know his music is big, and I know this is anecdotal, but my main exposure has mainly been parodies of him that take jabs at his persona. And it could just be my experience, but I never really see people my age talk about how much they love Elvis in the same way they do with, say, Beatles, which doesn't have that much youth appeal, and I don't really see anybody really keeping his name alive the way on the same level there is for Freddie Mercury.

This just feels like Rocketman where it still did really well, but didn't break out from any usual biopic numbers, because it was on somebody who doesn't really have a lot of appeal to 20somethings around my age. Elton's a personal hero of mine, but I have a lot of LGBT friends, and Elton isn't really somebody my friends obsess over like Freddie, unless they're really into music. He's an old people act to them. Plus Elvis is surrounded by a bunch of easy 4-quad hits that will take up the film's audience. It'll be hard for it to stack up to Jurassic World or Thor or even Lightyear and Minions. But still, 90M would still make Elvis an easy success, so this isn't me trying to say the movie will do bad. And maybe the Doja Cat song will make it a hit somehow, I dunno.

• Like 1