CaptainJackSparrow

Elvis | WB | June 24 2022 | Tom Hanks is Elvis' manager | Baz Luhrmann directs | RIP Lisa Marie Presley

2 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

People are way underestimating Elvis.  Can't wait to see Baz shock a lot of people.  

I can imagine this having insane legs if it clicks with the older demographics.

1 hour ago, LegendaryBen said:

The problem is HBO MAX. However, that would still be great if that were to happen. Rooting for a Tom Hanks success.

I wouldn't be surprised if Zas has changed that or will change that.  

• Thanks 1

I'd love for this to be another BoRap sized hit, but I genuinely have a hard time seeing it gross that much more than Rocketman. Maybe I'm just underestimating the popularity of Elvis, but I thought Elton was also pretty popular. 

9 hours ago, DAJK said:

I'd love for this to be another BoRap sized hit, but I genuinely have a hard time seeing it gross that much more than Rocketman. Maybe I'm just underestimating the popularity of Elvis, but I thought Elton was also pretty popular. 

Elton is popular but Elvis is on another level. He's up there with The Beatles, ABBA and Queen in terms of popularity, perhaps even more.

9 hours ago, DAJK said:

I do think it'll do better than rocketman, but nowhere near BoRap WW.

4 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Elton is popular but Elvis is on another level. He's up there with The Beatles, ABBA and Queen in terms of popularity, perhaps even more.

If there is any caveat here, it's that Elvis is obviously older than those ones. The people who lived the Elvis explosion as fans are now quite old. Queen, Beatles and Elton John music can easily be found on mainstream radio stations, IDK if that is the case for Elvis? I don't listen to his music so genuinely not sure 

11 minutes ago, excel1 said:

If there is any caveat here, it's that Elvis is obviously older than those ones. The people who lived the Elvis explosion as fans are now quite old. Queen, Beatles and Elton John music can easily be found on mainstream radio stations, IDK if that is the case for Elvis? I don't listen to his music so genuinely not sure 

He'll always be a permanent fixture in pop culture and plenty of his songs are still covered to this day, so younger generations know his music even if their knowledge of the man himself is currently on the low side.

On 5/30/2022 at 9:15 AM, Jonwo said:

Confused how there are people who think Elvis will bomb. It's Elvis Presley, one of the biggest singers of the last century, there's going to be interest. 

It's called "Ignorance Of History".

11 hours ago, Jonwo said:

iN terms of impact on  pop music in the second half of the 20th century, it's Elvis and The Beatles, and then everybody else. Hell, i would argue The Rollling Stones had more impact then Abba and Queen.

But no doubt Modern Rock is a direct result of the populiarty or Elvis and the Fab Four.

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

He'll always be a permanent fixture in pop culture and plenty of his songs are still covered to this day, so younger generations know his music even if their knowledge of the man himself is currently on the low side.

THIS, You simply cannot overstate how much impact Elvis had on Pop music. in the last half of the 20th century. Only the Beatles equal him in terms of impact.

6 minutes ago, dudalb said:

iN terms of impact on  pop music in the second half of the 20th century, it's Elvis and The Beatles, and then everybody else. Hell, i would argue The Rolling Stones had more impact then Abba and Queen.

But no doubt Modern Rock is a direct result of the popularity or Elvis and the Fab Four.

I'd add Michael Jackson as well. 

I think this will do okay at the boxoffice.  I'm predicting 180 domestic and 300 overseas. When it comes to awards I think the early release date and the "Elvis is a pedophile!!!!" stuff will probably sabotage it. 

8 minutes ago, ban1o said:

I think this will do okay at the boxoffice.  I'm predicting 180 domestic and 300 overseas. When it comes to awards I think the early release date and the "Elvis is a pedophile!!!!" stuff will probably sabotage it. 

You're making a lot of bizarre and insane projections about this movie

15 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

You're making a lot of bizarre and insane projections about this movie

I'm so confused the last time I posted here was May 9 before the Cannes festival and the reviews..and I said I thought it would make 350-400 WW but that Elvis wasn't as popular among the younger generation as Queen.....

I really don't see where I've made "a lot of bizarre and insane projections" 

Edited by ban1o