CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

Jessica Williams is amazing, I hope her character has more lines in the movie than the trailer suggests.

I rewatched the other two this past week and the first Fantastic Beasts gets better each time. That movie is so underrated. It's such a fun adventure, with some great new characters, and a script that has so many layers. We get to explore the Wizarding World in many different ways and from different perspectives. I get why the plot is kinda hard to follow at first (especially the Obscurus stuff), but on rewatch everything gets clearler and I appreciate how rich in detail the story is.

Crimes of Grindelwald on the other hand is a dumpster fire, I don't why I liked it the first time, I was probably manipulated by the Newt and Tina reunion, the Leta reveal, and the shock from the surprisingly decent performance from Johnny Depp. But it's terrible, visually ugly, and with the worst attempt at fan service I've ever seen.

The trailer for Secrets of Dumbledore is very promising, though.

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Jessica Williams is amazing, I hope her character has more lines in the movie than the trailer suggests.

I rewatched the other two this past week and the first Fantastic Beasts gets better each time. That movie is so underrated. It's such a fun adventure, with some great new characters, and a script that has so many layers. We get to explore the Wizarding World in many different ways and from different perspectives. I get why the plot is kinda hard to follow at first (especially the Obscurus stuff), but on rewatch everything gets clearler and I appreciate how rich in detail the story is.

Crimes of Grindelwald on the other hand is a dumpster fire, I don't why I liked it the first time, I was probably manipulated by the Newt and Tina reunion, the Leta reveal, and the shock from the surprisingly decent performance from Johnny Depp. But it's terrible, visually ugly, and with the worst attempt at fan service I've ever seen.

The trailer for Secrets of Dumbledore is very promising, though.

The strength of the first FB film is the power of its themes and the genuine charm of the four leads. They worked so well with each other and they each were genuinely likeable. 

I disagree with the visuals of CoG...I actually find it to be far superior to the first in that regard. Beautiful film in many scenes. The drowning baby cloth is still the most beautiful imagery in the entire WW universe. 

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 2

The Secrets of Dumbledore trailer makes me think this could have been a very solid trilogy about the fall of Grindelwald with Dumbledore's epic battle as the climax and Newt as his sidekick, but somewhere in production Rowling wanted to do Voldemort's rise as well and now there's a real disconnected feeling where COG set up stuff that's not gonna be necessary until film 4 or even 5 (Nagini, Flamel, Lestranges) so it all feels a bit pointless as is. 

As for the next film, well, I think it looks pretty good. I think the aesthetics look good and the scale looks impressive. Is that the Hogwarts Express? It has a very unique feel to it in the trailer, almost mystery-esque. The various locations look great.  The Shrimp-creature scene looks funny.  It seems a bit more lighthearted than the previous film, though I suspect it'll start off that way and get darker as it goes along. Yates is a good director, IMO, and he's kinda doing the heavy lifting on this series. The second film's script was messy, but it had some excellent scenes (the opening escape, the rally).  Hopefully this is better - we'll see in a few months.

• Like 2

My dream for this franchise? End the Fantastic Beasts series with this one...since it does end satisfyingly enough.

Start a new series solely dedicated to the war between Dumbledore/Grindelwald with Law and Mikkelsen in the roles. 

3 hours ago, Noctis said:

Start a new series solely dedicated to the war between Dumbledore/Grindelwald with Law and Mikkelsen in the roles

Maybe a two-parter which in some ways could work as a sequel to the events of Fantastic Beasts, but also stand alone and culminate with their legendary duel? 

Edited by TheBigYawn
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Lucas said:

Lookin' a little desperate

The poster is beautiful. Clever tagline tying into the nostalgia of the 20th year anniversary. The question is whether the release date is a few months too late to cash in on the nostalgia effect of the HBO event, but at the same time it's tricky times for the movie business with covid. 

But I do think it's kind of crazy if WB don't plan to release new editions of the original series after the holidays. I'm sure people would pay to see extended editions of the movies, but I don't think it's going to happen sadly. 

Edited by TheBigYawn
  • Like 1

Gotta be honest, I was expecting a better poster with at least some the characters on it. It doesn't look ugly but you'd think they'd show off the characters that'll be in this movie. A lot of movie posters these days have gotten lackluster, I just wish studio's would let the their movie posters look somewhat more artistic more often instead of just slapping a bunch of floating heads or photoshopping the actors in and calling it a day

So far the trailer and first poster have leaned a bit too heavily on Hogwarts for my tastes. The next trailer better reveal more about the movies plot and there better make a posters with actual characters on it within the next couple of months.

Edited by clockwork

11 hours ago, clockwork said:

be honest, I was expecting a better poster with at least some the characters on it.

It's certainly a stark contrast to CoG which had like hundreds of characters in the poster. I think WB has realized it's the wizarding world that's the biggest selling point of this series, which perhaps goes to show the series hasn't been successful enough with its characters. That's a pity considering the main four in the first Fantastic Beasts were all liked by the audience. 

Edited by TheBigYawn