CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

15 hours ago, grim22 said:

Cursed Child but with enough changes to negate the fact that the plot hinges on Voldemort having sex with Bellatrix Lestrange at some point during the original movies.

Haha, why?  Is that a real plot point?  Why would such a thing need to be removed if the primary audience for this sequel would be all the millions who saw the original Potter films -- who have all grown 20 years older?  Or are you just indicating your opinion of said plot point?  

Edited by Macleod

1 minute ago, Macleod said:

Haha, why?  Is that a real plot point?  Why would such a thing need to be removed if the primary audience for this sequel would be all the millions who saw the original Potter films -- who have all grown 20 years older?  Or are you just indicating your opinion of said plot point?  

It's very similar energy to "Palpatine got busy and had a kid who had a kid who is Rey" and it pretty much just serves as a red herring anyway.

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

It's very similar energy to "Palpatine got busy and had a kid who had a kid who is Rey" and it pretty much just serves as a red herring anyway.

But she was a villain, right?  Helena Bonham-Carter's character?  Personally I think we need more villains gettin' busy with each other!  😅  But I get you.  That Palpatine thing was god-awful.  

1 hour ago, The GOAT said:

It sure seems like JK Rowling gets crucified on the daily. Still don't get the outrage over what is supposed to be a Children's Book Author.

If she had just kept quiet and continued being a quirky british children's author then everything would be cool, but for some reason in these past few years she just felt compelled to share her most controversial opinions on social media and here we are. I just wish she would sell the rights to HP and find something new to occupy her time.

Edited by clockwork
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 11:10 AM, grim22 said:

Feels more like gay Dumbledore: feels like a goofy reveal but, in retrospect, both ideas were clearly but indirectly signaled in the text of the main Harry Potter books.  

4 hours ago, clockwork said:

If she had just kept quiet and continued being a quirky british children's author then everything would be cool, but for some reason in these past few years she just felt compelled to share her most controversial opinions on social media and here we are. I just wish she would sell the rights to HP and find something new to occupy her time.

In all honesty, that's probably the best solution to all this. Warner Bros. should just purchase the entire Harry Potter franchise off J. K. Rowling's hands, the same way Disney bought Lucasfilm from George Lucas. Then-- to continue the analogy--they could do what Disney did with Star Wars, and declare Rowling's tweets and Pottermore posts non-canon, so they wouldn't have any more bearing on the franchise. 

As it stands, I have a hard time seeing where the movies will go from here. Assuming Secrets of Dumbledore makes about $500M worldwide, which would be a decent amount of money for anything that wasn't part of the Harry Potter franchise, I can't imagine WB committing to any more theatrical Fantastic Beasts movies. The series will supposedly be five movies long. If the other two get made, they'll most like be HBO Max exclusives. 

WB certainly doesn't seem willing to get rid of their distribution deal for the Harry Potter franchise, or sell the rights to a competitor. But keeping it around after it's passed its sell-by date could end up doing more harm than good in the long run. 

Edited by El Squibbonator
  • Like 1

Jon Stewart can shove a bunch of broomsticks down his throat - what a moron. This is getting beyond ridiculous.

Anyway, at this point, Rowling being away from WWU would be a huge mistake. She should not be screenwriting alone, sure. We can all agree on that. But the ideas need to come from her originally and the director/screenwriter can expand or minimize whatever aspects.

Ideas are not the issue with Rowling like they were with Lucas - it was the execution. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

Jon Stewart can shove a bunch of broomsticks down his throat - what a moron. This is getting beyond ridiculous.

Anyway, at this point, Rowling being away from WWU would be a huge mistake. She should not be screenwriting alone, sure. We can all agree on that. But the ideas need to come from her originally and the director/screenwriter can expand or minimize whatever aspects.

Ideas are not the issue with Rowling like they were with Lucas - it was the execution. 

Yes, I think a large portion of fans wouldn't be interested in something not created by her.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Felipe said:

Yes, I think a large portion of fans wouldn't be interested in something not created by her.

We don't/wont know how fans will respond in that kind of situation until it happens. I mean people still watch Star Wars stuff without Geroge Lucas being involved and there was plenty of stories in the Star Wars universe not directly made by Geroge Lucas that people love, all those EU books and video games.

I just feel the brand has become bigger than her at this point and that she is not the only person who could ever write a good story set in this world. Just because somebody created something doesn't mean they're the best at maintaining it, let other people take a crack at it.

3 hours ago, clockwork said:

We don't/wont know how fans will respond in that kind of situation until it happens. I mean people still watch Star Wars stuff without Geroge Lucas being involved and there was plenty of stories in the Star Wars universe not directly made by Geroge Lucas that people love, all those EU books and video games.

I just feel the brand has become bigger than her at this point and that she is not the only person who could ever write a good story set in this world. Just because somebody created something doesn't mean they're the best at maintaining it, let other people take a crack at it.

No one said that. 

But they would need her approval.

• Like 2

I'll say something here...Crimes of Grindelwald is by far the most divisive film in the WWU...but are the ideas themselves bad or the execution?

Queenie being in a forbidden romance with a Muggle that can cause her to be thrown in prison...great. Execution? Terrible.

I can go on and on. But her ideas is Rowling's greatest strength. Although to be fair with Queenie, two scenes with Grindelwald were cut. The rose garden scene and a scene with them in the mansion together.