CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

31 minutes ago, TheBigYawn said:

It's certainly a stark contrast to CoG which had like hundreds of characters in the poster.

You can have lots of characters on a poster, usually most movie posters do, but how they're positioned is important. The posters for TCOG just felt cluttered (must like the movie itself) and rather bland, but most movie posters these days are rather bland and uninspired. It would be nice for studious to allow posters to look like actual art that could catch peoples attention.

I think WB has realized it's the wizarding world that's the biggest selling point of this series, which perhaps goes to show the series hasn't been successful enough with its characters

A poster needs to show the characters/actors who will be in the movie regardless of their popularity or not. The picture that Noctis posted a few hours ago looks better than the "official" poster they released. I just hope they make and release a better one in the next few months, and while they're at it make a better trailer too that actually shows some plot and not just vague statements.

Edited by clockwork

32 minutes ago, clockwork said:

You can have lots of characters on a poster, usually most movie posters do, but how they're positioned is important. The posters for TCOG just felt cluttered (must like the movie itself) and rather bland, but most movie posters these days are rather bland and uninspired. It would be nice for studious to allow posters to look like actual art that could catch peoples attention.

A poster needs to show the characters/actors who will be in the movie regardless of their popularity or not. The picture that Noctis posted a few hours ago looks better than the "official" poster they released. I just hope they make and release a better one in the next few months, and while they're at it make a better trailer too that actually shows some plot and not just vague statements.

I think it's just a teaser poster akin to the Hogwarts on fire poster for Deathly Hallows. I like it for what it is.

That said in general I agree with your sentiments that movie posters often look bland and uninspired. The one for TCOG certainly was cluttered. I'm sure this one will have better posters. 

The Harry Potter reunion thing was really well done. It was like a celebration of Potter - the books and the movies. 

The only way JK Rowling showed up was through an old 2019 interview. She's like the elephant in the room, only referred to in general terms.

33 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The Harry Potter reunion thing was really well done. It was like a celebration of Potter - the books and the movies. 

The only way JK Rowling showed up was through an old 2019 interview. She's like the elephant in the room, only referred to in general terms.

Despite her comments, it felt awkaward not to have Rowling there and I've seen a lot of reviews mentioning that. I am really curious how things between her and WB are because WB clearly wants that HP sequel and the only way they will ever get that (or anything else Wizarding World related) is if Rowling agrees to it.

I've seen comments in this thread about WB moving forward without her - whoever commented that clearly did not follow how much control Rowling has over this franchise. She literally controled how the damn fake boulders looked in the theme parks lmao. Good luck getting the franchise away from her while she is still alive.

Edited by James
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, James said:

Despite her comments, it felt awkaward not to have Rowling there and I've seen a lot of reviews mentioning that. I am really curious how things between her and WB are because WB clearly wants that HP sequel and the only way they will ever get that (or anything else Wizarding World related) is if Rowling agrees to it.

I've seen comments in this thread about WB moving forward without her - whoever commented that clearly did not follow how much control Rowling has over this franchise. She literally controled how the damn fake boulders looked in the theme parks lmao. Good luck getting the franchise away from her while she is still alive.

Who says she hasn't already agreed to it?  

Edited by Macleod

I’m sure WB would want nothing more than to make a Harry Potter sequel, but I’m not quite sure how that’d work. That epilogue in Deathly Hallows complicates things a bit, unless they plan on having the OG cast look like that for an entire trilogy/pentalogy/whatever. 

26 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

WB asked JK Rowling to be part of it and she was the one who said no and that she thought the previous interviews she'd done would suffice.

https://ew.com/movies/why-j-k-rowling-didnt-join-harry-potter-reunion-special-return-to-hogwarts/

In other words, the people who were outraged about her getting “snubbed” were making a big fuss over absolutely nothing, and contrary to what they claim,  Rowling will be just fine. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, grim22 said:

14 hours ago, James said:

I meant she will have creative control and be involved so a sequel without her won’t happen.

I know what you mean -- but look at what's just revealed about the Reunion special -- often times things are not what they seem/or rumored.  If Warners really wants to proceed on another new Potter film, I can't imagine Rowling, in her current PR position, would do anything to discourage it -- it's money in the bank for her.  And I wouldn't be surprised if they already have a handshake deal for it all.  

Edited by Macleod

6 hours ago, Macleod said:

I know what you mean -- but look at what's just revealed about the Reunion special -- often times things are not what they seem/or rumored.  If Warners really wants to proceed on another new Potter film, I can't imagine Rowling, in her current PR position, would do anything to discourage it -- it's money in the bank for her.  And I wouldn't be surprised if they already have a handshake deal for it all.  

But she would have complete approval on script - which is a good thing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Noctis said:

But she would have complete approval on script - which is a good thing.

Eh, we'll have to agree to disagree on that point. Her "approval" on a script doesn't mean much to me these days, now if they said she had no involvement in the creative process and somebody else/new made a script then I'd be intrigued.

2 hours ago, clockwork said:

Eh, we'll have to agree to disagree on that point. Her "approval" on a script doesn't mean much to me these days, now if they said she had no involvement in the creative process and somebody else/new made a script then I'd be intrigued.

Hindsight is 20/20...the problem with Crimes was that it had too many ideas and was written like a book instead of a film. But her IDEAS themselves are absolutely not the problem in Crimes - it's the execution. 

And that is largely because Crimes would have made a 10/10 6 hour mini series instead of a 6/10 two hour film.

On 1/2/2022 at 12:16 AM, grim22 said:

I think it's crazy that no one even mentioned Steve Kloves who wrote 7 Harry Potter movies.

On 1/2/2022 at 12:43 AM, James said:

Entertainment Weekly wrote that she was invited by WB but her team decided that that footage from 2019 is enough.

It makes sense. It never made sense that they would have the power the exclude her, if she really wanted to participate.

7 minutes ago, WeThrones said:

I just feel like sequel to Harry Potter from storytelling perspective is unnecessary. What is going to be the plot of the movie? Will we get "Somehow, Voldemort returned" ?

Cursed Child but with enough changes to negate the fact that the plot hinges on Voldemort having sex with Bellatrix Lestrange at some point during the original movies.

8 minutes ago, WeThrones said:

I just feel like sequel to Harry Potter from storytelling perspective is unnecessary. What is going to be the plot of the movie? Will we get "Somehow, Voldemort returned" ?

That's literally 'The Cursed Child', and it's a mess. I think maybe a plot with Harry as an auror, investigating something, with mystery elements that Rowling is good at developing. Something totally unrelated to Voldemort. Maybe it could work.

There are so many stories in the wizarding world, if done right, would make great movies. Why ruin a perfectly good ending (I am ignoring the nonsense that was cursed child)?

A trilogy with the first movie being a marauders movie that leads into the first wizarding war that ends on voldemorts defeat and harry being delivered to the Dursleys doorstep (right where Sorcerers Stone started) would be awesome and something that fans actually want. This way we can get a lot of old characters like voldemort, dumbledore, hagrid, mcgonagall, etc back (except for the trio and classmates). 

Another movie they can do can be based on the four founders and the establishment of Hogwarts. 

• Like 3