CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

On 1/6/2022 at 1:38 AM, Hatebox said:

The Star Wars comparison is apt because, while both worlds are potent, it's the original characters people are drawn to foremost. It's why we have a fucking Bobba Fett back from the dead TV show, and the Mandalorian had a baby Yoda.

I think the real reason for the lackluster performance of the FB movies is the charecters are not as interesting as those  in the original novels. I have feeling that everything Rowling really wanted  to say about the Wizarding World she said in the original novels, and from creativity point of view she is treading water. 

Just shows how wise Tolkien was in  giving up on a sequel to LOTR when he saw he was just writing a mediocre thriller with nothing new to the table and gave it up as not worth doing.

(In one of the "History of Middle Earth" books the draft of the first chapter of the story is reprinted, and it's pretty clear the story was going nowhere)/

Edited by dudalb

7 hours ago, The GOAT said:

JK Rowling has done nothing wrong.  

Many people do not agree, obviously. She's a person in a position of power and privilege, with a large platform, who has put a good deal of time and energy into spreading false and misleading representations of trans issues, and propagating inaccurate and dangerous tropes about trans people. This includes upholding the (very) tired trope that allowing trans people to use the right bathrooms are somehow a threat to women and children - which has been disproven by research. It's disappointing, especially since she claims in her essay to be someone who does the research to educate herself.

She's allowed to say what she wants, but naturally people are going to call her out for it. She absolutely does not deserve to be the recipient of misogynistic and hateful abuse. Likewise, her experience of being a survivor of abuse, and her experiences of trauma, are valid and should be recognized.

But that, in my view, and the view of many in the year 2022 now, is not an excuse to target and spread falsehoods about trans people - a group of people who are already among the most vulnerable, and who experience harassment, violence, and sexual assault at extremely disproportionate levels. That's a real disappointment, especially for me, as a lover of Harry Potter - and its various themes of love and acceptance and inclusion.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

Rowling sucks lmao.

Between the transphobia and the racism and the antisemitism and the shit writing, she really needs to just go away

Antisemitism? Racism? Elaborate.

For someone who wants her to go away, you sure talk about her a lot. And think of her even more.

• Like 4

Alright y'all better tone down this little pro Rowling vs anti Rowling debate going on here before one of the mods decides to lock the thread, its getting a wee bit too political/argumentative here. People can have their opinions but at a certain point everybody needs to move on to something else before it becomes just a bunch of people talking in circles.

Edited by Gazer365
  • Like 1

Moderation

I know where this is going. And frankly, things are starting to get off-topic in regards to the movie itself.

I just now created a thread in The Real World where you can specifically talk about Rowling in a general sense. The only thing you can talk about in regards to Rowling and her actions in the past few years and beyond in this thread is how it will potentially impact the box office results for this film and that is that. Otherwise, face warning points and/or other repercussions.

And yes, in the general Rowling thread, we still expect you to be courteous and respectful towards your fellow BOT members, no matter how much you hate what they're saying.

Got it? Good. That is all

• Like 3

I don't expect Rowling to sell Harry Potter to WB or anyone else. She will be involved in HP universe until the day she dies IMO.

I do think if this movie earns $500M that they will make Part 4.

Maybe they will even do what they did for Harry Potter and film final two movies back to back to save costs.

10 hours ago, WeThrones said:

I don't expect Rowling to sell Harry Potter to WB or anyone else. She will be involved in HP universe until the day she dies IMO.

I do think if this movie earns $500M that they will make Part 4.

Maybe they will even do what they did for Harry Potter and film final two movies back to back to save costs.

Thing is Rowling can do what she wants once the current contract is over; and she is a  billionnaire  literally...net worth is over a Billion dollars.;  she never needs to do anything for a paycheck again, she might well decide to be protective of her creations  and simply sit on them. She is not under any finiancial pressue to sell the rights and put her creations in other hands.

Edited by dudalb

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

All the Potter movies are on HBOmax right now so I watched the 3rd one yesterday(i've seen the first 2 way back in the day) and got about an hour into the fourth one.  Yeah, these movies just aren't for me.

I enjoyed the first few films, but felt the series lost steam after the fourth, in a way the novels did not. A lot of the creativty went out of the films, and they became too paint by the numbers fantasy for me.

"THe Prisoner of Azakaban" was easily the best film.

9 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

All the Potter movies are on HBOmax right now so I watched the 3rd one yesterday(i've seen the first 2 way back in the day) and got about an hour into the fourth one.  Yeah, these movies just aren't for me.

You didn't like PoA?

9 hours ago, dudalb said:

I enjoyed the first few films, but felt the series lost steam after the fourth, in a way the novels did not. A lot of the creativty went out of the films, and they became too paint by the numbers fantasy for me.

"THe Prisoner of Azakaban" was easily the best film.

DH1 is the pinnacle of Potter films. 

Top four for me are DH1/DH2/PoA/HBP.

• Like 2