CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

14 minutes ago, Jak Ryan Drake Campbell said:

Because you know if the film will be good for you?
Let the film have its journey and then we'll see what it is, damn it, it didn't even come out that you're already criticizing.

Who said anything about quality? With the exception of the first Fantastic Beasts which had thanksgiving weekend to fall back on, the Potter films tend to have larger drops second weekend. It is a fan-driven property that tends to flock opening weekend.

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

Who said anything about quality? With the exception of the first Fantastic Beasts which had thanksgiving weekend to fall back on, the Potter films tend to have larger drops second weekend. It is a fan-driven property that tends to flock opening weekend.

I think that many are unaware of the power of the franchise internationally, almost $500M for the second, I'm not saying that the latter will reproduce it but it's a significant strike force which should avoid the announced flop.

2 hours ago, El Squibbonator said:

That said, $500 million is still not a good showing for a movie in the Harry Potter franchise, and definitely wouldn't bode well for said franchise's long-term viability. 

Warner made a mistake thinking that a few spin-offs with new characters except Dumbledore and Grindelwald and scripts written without a plot in the books would be what the fandom wanted, the franchise still sells very well but we don't want to see random wizards and magical creatures. We want Tom Riddle or the Marauders if they wanted to do something many years before Harry

2 minutes ago, SMmadrid90 said:

Warner made a mistake thinking that a few spin-offs with new characters except Dumbledore and Grindelwald and scripts written without a plot in the books would be what the fandom wanted, the franchise still sells very well but we don't want to see random wizards and magical creatures. We want Tom Riddle or the Marauders if they wanted to do something many years before Harry

Eh, agree to disagree on that. I'd prefer any franchise to keep trying new things with new characters instead of recycling plots and old characters all the time, because if they keep doing that then yall gonna end complaining "why are they always doing the same thing? Why don't they do something different?" just like Star Wars fans are doing these days.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, El Squibbonator said:

That said, $500 million is still not a good showing for a movie in the Harry Potter franchise, and definitely wouldn't bode well for said franchise's long-term viability. 

$500m would bode very well for the franchise's long term viability.

Anything over $450m for this after Crimes and Covid is a win in my book.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Noctis said:

$500m would bode very well for the franchise's long term viability.

Anything over $450m for this after Crimes and Covid is a win in my book.

Yeah, i think Fantastic Beasts as a series is one where perspective really matters. Many people compare(d) this series to the Hobbit films (prequels to the succesfull main movie series) but unlike the Hobbit films, Fantastic Beasts features none of the original actors and only very few of the original characters. Its not Harry Potter, its just a movie series set in the wider world. Yes, they very much try to pump up the Potter nostalgia with all those Hogwarts scenes, but everyone knows that this is not about Harry, Ron, Hermione and Tommy Riddler. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Yeah, i think Fantastic Beasts as a series is one where perspective really matters. Many people compare(d) this series to the Hobbit films (prequels to the succesfull main movie series) but unlike the Hobbit films, Fantastic Beasts features none of the original actors and only very few of the original characters. Its not Harry Potter, its just a movie series set in the wider world. Yes, they very much try to pump up the Potter nostalgia with all those Hogwarts scenes, but everyone knows that this is not about Harry, Ron, Hermione and Tommy Riddler. 

The problem is the new charecterts are not anywhere near as Interesting as the original ones.

Also, The Hobbit was not written as a dedicated prequel to LOTR.  Tolkien had no idea of the LOTR as he wrote it.

In fact LOTR started as a sequel to  The Hobbit.

On 3/25/2022 at 10:27 PM, Tarintino said:

Certainly beats dying every 2 minutes in Elden Ring

On 3/26/2022 at 2:43 AM, SchumacherFTW said:

Playing a From Software game is anybodies first mistake

On 3/26/2022 at 8:33 AM, CJohn said:

This is why I simply don't play them.

You three outing yourselves as needing to git gud.

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

22 hours ago, Rogerio said:

Fantastic beasts will probably fail 

But I can't see Warner just forgeting about the WW...

They know there are some things that could be HUGE.. including a sequel, marauders or Hogwarts' founders

I would say no more prequels. Prequels handcuff you to the existing continuity and everyone knows where things are going to end up. Expand things after the books instead of before.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Noctis said:

People always going to back to lore, but the Wizarding World is a universe in which entirely new characters and stories would thrive.

The "peak Marvel" trend made me realise that if Deathly Hallows Part 2 came out just a year later WB would've never released the epilogue scene and would've kept the ending of the film open for as many spinoffs and follow-ups as humanly possible. 

Having the future damn near set in stone like that wouldn't happen today.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I would say no more prequels. Prequels handcuff you to the existing continuity and everyone knows where things are going to end up. Expand things after the books instead of before.

I'd argue just to expand things in general regardless of time period, when a story takes place doesn't really matter to me as long as we're seeing new locations and people with stories that don't directly tie back into the OG series.

Edited by Gazer365
  • Thanks 1

Just have new stories with new characters...time period really does not matter.

I'd even argue the ideas and themes in Fantastic Beasts, particularly Crimes, is more interesting than Potter but the execution was so schizophrenic. 

Honestly, a trilogy of FB films in the style of Indiana Jones but with magic and new societies and adventures would have been so much fun - and would have been particularly great in these times. And would have been done by now...

And today would have been the first installment of a Grindelwald/Dumbledore series.

8 minutes ago, Gazer365 said:

I'd argue just to expand things in general regardless of time period, when a story takes place doesn't really matter to me as long as we're seeing new locations and people with stories that don't directly tie back into the OG series.

Gonna ridiculously play to my stereotype here, but this line of thought is gonna get a real test soon in SW circles over on Disney Plus with The Acolyte coming out next year and the presumed "kid-friendly" live-action show that is currently code named "Grammar Rodeo", but not yet officially announced.

Neither of those projects directly tie in to any current SW movies, with the possible exception of The Acolyte setting up some background stuff for TPM.  "Grammar Rodeo" is even further apace in that it might have some tie-ins to pre-existing characters from the comics and books of The High Republic era, but... Gonna be real here and say that General Awareness from the General Public of those characters ain't exactly high.

Now streaming TV ain't the same as films as there's more obviously more room for experimentation/trying new things.  Still, gonna be real interesting to see how they perform over other shows that are more forcefully tied to established properties like Andor (ignoring Obi-Wan Kenobi as a benchmark as I think that's gonna be on a whole different level and thus not fair for comparisons). 

• Like 1