cax16

Shazam! Fury of the Gods | March 17 2023 | Sandberg returns to direct. Will Sinbad return? | Get vaccinated!

I think the trio of Shazam 2, Avatar 2 and Puss in Boots 2 should be all pretty lucrative this holiday season. Avatar 2 will obviously be the kingpin at 550m-800m+ domestic, Shazam 2 should target the 150m-220m area and Puss in Boots should be around 100m-140m, with an outside chance at 160m like Sing 2.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 8:42 PM, marveldcfox said:

You never know. Maybe Avatar2 gets destroyed by critics and audience. Shazam takes advantage of that and gets a 80+ OW on its way to 1B+ WW

CHances of Shazam making a billion, regardless of what happens with Avatar 2, are very,very, low. Let's have some realism, please.

• Like 3

Sherlock Holmes did just fine against the original Avatar in 2009 off a similar strategy of opening against Avatar's second weekend. There should still be plenty of room for counter-programming against Pandora this Christmas, especially if Shazam can provide solid, fun, family-friendly entertainment and generate decent word-of-mouth of its own. I can't see Shazam meaningfully challenging Avatar for box office supremacy, but it could carve out a niche unto itself as there is a significant difference between a Cameronian epic and a superhero romp; I'm assuming the movie will have a looser, goofier vibe than Way of Water, plus audiences like superheroes.

TL; DR— There's room for more than one blockbuster at Christmas.

On 6/13/2022 at 3:24 PM, dudalb said:

Question is how much better then the first can this one do?

I thought the first one was great but it did get overshadowed by the Endgame hype. And now going up against Avatar 2 will definitely be working against it.

Edited by poweranimals

On 6/13/2022 at 2:24 PM, dudalb said:

Question is how much better then the first can this one do?

21 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

I thought the first one was great but it did get overshadowed by the Endgame hype. And now going up against Avatar 2 will definitely be working against it.

I expect at least 50% growth.

17 hours ago, poweranimals said:

I loved the first, but it was not a huge hit. DC made a nice profit off of it,but it was not a blockbuster. Not sure the Endgame hype had a lot to do with how Shazam performed. More a case of the charecter just not being that popular, and DC not really being as good as Marvel at taking a charecter with  lesser popularity and making a hit movie out of it.

And this one apparetnly cost quite a bit more then the first one. That means it has take in quite a bit more to get into profit.

I hope this does well, because I really like DC's approach to the charecter, but am skeptical it will do that much better then the first. I would be skeptical about that no matter when it opened.

Edited by dudalb

On 6/15/2022 at 3:20 PM, dudalb said:

I loved the first, but it was not a huge hit. DC made a nice profit off of it,but it was not a blockbuster. Not sure the Endgame hype had a lot to do with how Shazam performed. More a case of the charecter just not being that popular, and DC not really being as good as Marvel at taking a charecter with  lesser popularity and making a hit movie out of it.

And this one apparetnly cost quite a bit more then the first one. That means it has take in quite a bit more to get into profit.

I hope this does well, because I really like DC's approach to the charecter, but am skeptical it will do that much better then the first. I would be skeptical about that no matter when it opened.

It did OK cause it was on the cheap side for a superhero movie. I think the question mark here is has the audience really expanded enough for the sequel to do much better? It's not like a situation where the character has shown up in a team up like what Marvel did with its smaller characters. This is just a direct sequel.

1 hour ago, belblazer said:

According to Variety, WB panel at SDCC will play for 1 hour and will focus on 2022 releases only (BA and Shazam).

So it's almost certain that we will have a trailer.

That’s disappointing. I was hoping they’d have some announcements for The Batman 2 and whatever the hell the next Superman movie is supposed to be.