terrestrial

Thursday 11 April Shazam! $2.373m | Pet Semat. 1.226 | CM .886 | Dumbo .8806 | US .8606

3 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

If Shazam does $150m domestically, that's decent enough. The OS performance is not great though considering how insane the growth has been internationally for superhero movies over the last decade.

There’s no doubt overseas isn’t great, no one should be arguing that. Unfortunately  it didn’t connect at all in some of the larger Asian markets.

If they make a sequel they have to keep that in mind and in turn keep the budget in mind as well if they’re going for the same tone. 

3 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Early Marvel movies sure, Shazam is essentially Phase 2 though. It's not really comparable to Ant-Man, it'll end up some 150mil lower in all likelihood.

I don’t think DC is going with Phase designations. Let’s not use Marvel designations for DC films. DC is only 7 films into their universe. Hardly enough for you to draw that conclusion.

Shazam! may end up 150 lower than Antman, but it had about 40 million less in budget. I fear this is turning into a franchise wars thread. Some posters who have been concern trolling are exposing their true intentions/motivations. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think WB/New Line will still make a sequel, raise the ante a bit and add elements more appealing for OS audiences.

Well, they've announced it, they're not going to go "oh wait, we hoped for a little more, let's cancel this." I just don't want clowns to go into hysterics about this, although it's unavoidable. I'd argue the marketing was a bit late for Shazam ! 

Definitely for the appealing elements, I wonder if China can recover next time? It's sad to say but more explosions and action would probably do it. They could increase the budget to 120-130 M, stay reasonable. 

Just now, LordNox said:

I think the MCU and the DCEU is the opposite. For the DCEU the period when they got the most hype and biggest openings was at the early stage of the universe. After that both the hype and the openings have been getting smaller. For the MCU the interest and hype have only grown every new MCU phase. So the DCEU started with great interest and hype and declined from there.

So now its probably fair to compare the DCEU with the MCU phase 1 in audience interest and hype for the movies.

Sure but the markets are so completely different from 8-10 years ago. Like some of those early Marvel films weren't even released in China or made like $8m only lol. That's simply not the case now for superhero movies.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Wouldn't use the hulk. That was an outright flop

At that time HV was a bit better still (incl rent...), plus OS. I still see it at a moneymaker to a degree per streaming... for the ppl that want to catch up with the MCU

No idea if it is included in collector boxes and such (see phase 1), if, then the split for it is not included in this here

only dom:

Home Market Performance
Est. Domestic DVD Sales $69,437,602 Details
Est. Domestic Blu-ray Sales $10,166,843 Details
Total Est. Domestic Video Sales $79,604,445
  • Like 1

Also, you don't really NEED Asia to love something to still do well internationally. SW for example makes up for lack of interest in Asia with gangbuster numbers domestically and in Europe/Japan. However, if you're not hitting it with any of the regions, then you may need to re-think things. I'm sure WB knew that was a possibility with this movie which is why they budgeted accordingly.

• Like 3

It's so weird though that China and SK just rejected this, I'm not sure how different they could (although they shouldn't cater to them) make the sequel to make it more palatable for those markets? Unless that means really messing with the vibe, I can't think of anything, just more action and spectacle seems silly but maybe, less specific humor? (although it didn't feel that way to me) OR yes, the Magic Lands, a more fantastical vibe, more whimsical, less suburbia. 

So guys I have went back and looked at the average percentages for FRIDAY, SATURDAY AND SUNDAY for a 2nd weekend through out the year for the top 12 movies of each weekend and did not include Valentines weekend. 

v1Cy3dm.png

And using that I came up with this. 

m0LnCGK.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just now, tawasal said:

So guys I have went back and looked at the average percentages for FRIDAY, SATURDAY AND SUNDAY for a 2nd weekend through out the year for the top 12 movies of each weekend and did not include Valentines weekend. 

v1Cy3dm.png

And using that I came up with this. 

m0LnCGK.png

Nice work

3 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Well, they've announced it, they're not going to go "oh wait, we hoped for a little more, let's cancel this." I just don't want clowns to go into hysterics about this, although it's unavoidable. I'd argue the marketing was a bit late for Shazam ! 

Definitely for the appealing elements, I wonder if China can recover next time? It's sad to say but more explosions and action would probably do it. They could increase the budget to 120-130 M, stay reasonable. 

I think if the budget is similar to other New Line films like Rampage or San Andreas then it would be doable to add bigger elements.

5 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Sure but the markets are so completely different from 8-10 years ago. Like some of those early Marvel films weren't even released in China or made like $8m only lol. That's simply not the case now for superhero movies.

Yeah but generally Asia doesn't like DC movies anyway. Only Aquaman has been popular there. So China usually don't help DC movies much, sure Shazam is even lower than usual on that front. But its not like China usually loves DC movies.

Just now, DlAMONDZ said:

So how does WB approach a sequel?

Will WB up the budget for more spectacle if it comes under 400m?

Maybe pair him up with another hero? That would require them to ditch their "standalone" policy tho

Well they haven't yet released a sequel and the next one is WW1984 over a year away.  

1 minute ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Maybe pair him up with another hero? That would require them to ditch their "standalone" policy tho

It doesn't need a huge budget increase, a $120-140m budget similar to Rampage would allow them to increase the spectacle and hire 1-2 bigger names

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

I think they have to ditch the original plan for the sequel and add Superman and Black Adam to take Shazam into over 700M WW.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Bordlove said:

Starting a bit concerned with this movie especially for something with A cinemascore. DC can't catch a break.

Yes it can.

Wonder Woman and Aquaman prove that it can, but clearly the DCEU has to have the right movie at the right time.

Shazam! is certainly the right movie, but it was not released at the right time.

Unfortunately (and it pains me to say this), I am going to have to admit that yes, being sandwiched between the one-two punch of Captain Marvel and Avengers: Endgame did Shazam! no favors.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

I mean they were gonna add The Rock anyways so that seems like enough to at least get some attention in Asia.