sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

2 hours ago, stealthyfrog said:

Blame WB for choosing that date. August would have been fine.

August would have been difficult due to Hobbs and Shaw. I think Shazam 2 should go for a Spring release or potentially late May in 2022.

1 minute ago, Sam said:

JL > Ragnarok + Coco

Never forget.

That doesn’t have to be a case of underestimating Disney, pretty sure some people would have gone in on that even if they were provided with actuals for Ragnarok and Coco.

I’ll be honest, I wasn’t sure how Frozen 2 would do but after the teaser dropped and after I saw how obsessed my cousin’s 3 daughters still were with Anna and Elsa, I’m expecting YUGE numbers for it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

That doesn’t have to be a case of underestimating Disney, pretty sure some people would have gone in on that even if they were provided with actuals for Ragnarok and Coco.

Funny you mentioned that cause pretty sure he maintained the equation even after JL opened. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sam said:

Funny you mentioned that cause pretty sure he maintained the equation even after JL opened. 

Just need those 9x legs baby. If only they got Cameron to direct JL :sadno:

• Haha 2

Frozen 2 has the potential to be the best Disney animated sequel since The Rescuers Down Under (though hopefully it’s much more successful). I only say this in theory, since I don’t want to look things up and get spoiled, I want to go in and be surprised.

But seriously, I loved The Rescuers Down Under as a kid. The eagle flight scenes are up there with The Iron Giant and How to Train Your Dragon in terms of sheer awe. It just had the misfortune of being an outlier in the fairy tale musical Renaissance (and getting absolutely curb-stomped by Macaulay Culkin).

Edited by TServo2049

3 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

Obviously it’s not gonna be linear math, but the number does suggest around 60M Sat base on direct comparisons I think.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

Location count is a bit more favorable for tonight, Time a bit less. If you assume those cancel out the linear extrapolation is 64M.     

I’d stick with Rth, they have way more data and experience interpreting it, but maybe a mild sign that it will be more toward the 62 end than the 58 end.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TServo2049 said:

Frozen 2 has the potential to be the best Disney animated sequel since The Rescuers Down Under. I only say this in theory, since I don’t want to look things up and get spoiled, I want to go in and be surprised.

Toy story 2 or 3? I’d put Funding dory in the discussion as well, although I found Nemo to be better. 

1 minute ago, Sam said:

Obviously it’s not gonna be linear math, but the number does suggest around 60M Sat base on direct comparisons I think.

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

Location count is a bit more favorable for tonight, Time a bit less. If you assume those cancel out the linear extrapolation is 64M.     

I’d stick with Rth, they have way more data and experience interpreting it, but maybe a mild sign that it will be more toward the 62 end than the 58 end.

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Jinx!

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Toy story 2 or 3? I’d put Funding dory in the discussion as well, although I found Nemo to be better. 

I said Disney, not Pixar. Disney has only had three true made-for-theaters sequels: The Rescuers Down Under, Ralph Breaks the Internet, and this. (Four if you count Fantasia 2000.)

Sure, saying it’s the best since Rescuers Down Under would be from a small pool, but that would also mean “better than Ralph Breaks the Internet” (which I did not hate, but again, middle of the road. And not enough Jack McBrayer and Jane Lynch.)

Edited by TServo2049

1 minute ago, TServo2049 said:

I said Disney, not Pixar. Disney has only had three true made-for-theaters sequels: The Rescuers Down Under, Ralph Breaks the Internet, and this. (Four if you count Fantasia 2000.)

But if it becomes the best Disney or Pixar sequel since Toy Story 3, that will work too.

lolwut.

Pixar is Disney. Lmao.

7 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Disney raking in the dough this year. 

Frozen II and The Rise of Skywalker both hitting at the end of the year (not a guarantee I add) would make a hell of a bookend to the one-two punch of Captain Marvel and Endgame at the beginning(-ish) of the year.

1 hour ago, SteveJaros said:

It just seems crazy. If I understand correctly, they are releasing Captain Marvel, Endgame, Toy Story 4, Aladdin, The Lion King, and a Star Wars movie this year.

EACH of those movies could serve a studio as its can't - miss tentpole blockbuster for a single year! And they are releasing all 6 this year?

Seems nutso to me .... With Captain Marvel and Endgame, they should have just said "OK, we dominated this year, the others will come out next year and beyond".

But they don't have to, they already have other blockbusters lined up for those years. 

with MCU, Star Wars and Pixar, it's going to be a very, very long time until Disney is wanting for Blockbusters. 

Also, I don't know why Frozen 2 isn't being considered as a blockbuster tentpole as well. Chances are it will outgross Aladdin by quite a bit, and another 400 million performance isn't out of the question. 

Also, Maleficent 2 in October isn't going to be a slouch either. 

It also has a chance at outgrossing Aladdin with the original making 240 million.  More importantly it made over 750 million worldwide.
If it's a dark tone, then they picked a good release date leading up to Halloween. 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/entertainmentmovies/the-long-shot-is-exactly-the-kind-of-sexist-male-fantasy-that-killed-rom-coms/ar-AAATPwB?ocid=spartandhp

Can someone read this and tell me if I'm just being 'misogynistic' for thinking this article is complete crap?

I actually hate having to say that. If I don't like a particular article, I feel like I have to defend myself so I'm not put in the same boat as idiots who dedicate youtube channels to trashing Brie Larson

35 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Steve Jaros had some legendary Disney film predictions couple years ago. Under predicted like every Disney film.

34 minutes ago, Nova said:

Didn’t he predict Infinity War to go under $400M domestic last year :ph34r:

25 minutes ago, Sam said:

JL > Ragnarok + Coco

Never forget.

My favorite of his was Finding Dory < $210m DOM

• Haha 3