sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

14 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

So running about 58% ahead of Friday at 300 fewer locations reported. Those extra 300 location would add another 5 million IF we take the average of 39m by 2409. But we know that not all locations are the same and those 300 might be low grossing ones so lets ignore that and keep it for cushion. 

I would assume Saturday nights wont be any weaker than Friday ones so hopefully no slowing down. 

So this would indicate 64m. I’d take 61 even as that would be the same jump as IW (slightly higher) and would put it back in running for that 2nd weekend record (if it drops 22% like IW did on Sunday)

11 minutes ago, DAJK said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/entertainmentmovies/the-long-shot-is-exactly-the-kind-of-sexist-male-fantasy-that-killed-rom-coms/ar-AAATPwB?ocid=spartandhp

Can someone read this and tell me if I'm just being 'misogynistic' for thinking this article is complete crap?

I actually hate having to say that. If I don't like a particular article, I feel like I have to defend myself so I'm not put in the same boat as idiots who dedicate youtube channels to trashing Brie Larson

There’s an interesting point to be made somewhere along those same lines imo, but that article didn’t make it remotely well. It was hyperbolic, overagendized drivel.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I wonder if we'll see more distinction between Disney Animation and Pixar now that separate people are in charge of them.

I was just going to bring that up, too. I hope so. I’m not on the whole “Boo, all of the Disney/Pixar films are exactly the same and it’s all Lasseter’s fault because his undeniably reprehensible personal actions somehow also prove he was creatively bankrupt, because of what happened with Brave” train, but I grew up when Disney and Pixar were distinct and it’d be nice to see them reassert their unique identities again.

Edited by TServo2049

8 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

There’s an interesting point to be made somewhere along those same lines imo, but that article didn’t make it remotely well. It was hyperbolic, overagendized drivel.

True, it felt like it was ghost-written by Scott Mendelson or something.

Also, didn’t female-driven rom-coms have a string of flops around the same time of the Apatow brom-com ascendancy? Or am I misremembering?

Edited by TServo2049
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

Not enough reminders that CM won’t pass WW, Endgame won’t pass Avatar, and Spider-Man Homecoming won’t reach 300.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

33 minutes ago, Sam said:

Funny you mentioned that cause pretty sure he maintained the equation even after JL opened. 

Yeah, he also didn't think TFA could beat Avatar after the second weekend numbers came in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

Also, didn’t female-driven rom-come have a string of flops around the same time of the Apatow brom-com ascendancy?

idk I wouldn't even expect Mendelson to write that. 

And yea, I agree there may be a point to be made in there, but regardless that article reads like a twitter rant without any attempt at rationalization or logical explanations one would expect from a professional article. It just adds fuel to the fire imo, especially to basically compare the movie to Trump like wtf :lol: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TServo2049 said:

I was just going to bring that up, too. I hope so. I’m not on the whole “Boo, all of the Disney/Pixar films are exactly the same and it’s all Lasseter’s fault because his undeniably reprehensible personal actions somehow also prove he was creatively bankrupt” train, but I grew up when Disney and Pixar were distinct and it’d be nice to see them reassert their unique identities again.

WDAS have been incredibly successful in the last few years so I think if anything its business as usual. I would like to see WDAS perhaps be more creative and push different styles, Spider-Verse was the kick the industry has needed and it's paid off in terms of box office and awards, 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

I see a domestic total of around 600-700 mil for frozen 2. Over Incredibles 2. Disney raking in the dough this year. 

That would be crazy good for it. 

It's too far out for me to feel we can analyze the "hype" to that extent, but the trailer views certainly point towards domination. If the quality is there, you could very well be right as it has a pretty open playing field from mid November until Jumanji 2 opens in mid December. 

43 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Toy story 2 or 3? I’d put Funding dory in the discussion as well, although I found Nemo to be better. 

Yes, we know the ocean has run out of money..

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Location count is a bit more favorable for tonight, Time a bit less. If you assume those cancel out the linear extrapolation is 64M.     

I’d stick with Rth, they have way more data and experience interpreting it, but maybe a mild sign that it will be more toward the 62 end than the 58 end.

Don't think linear extrapolation works as Saturday nights will be much closer to Friday nights than Saturday matinees to Friday matinees

Edited by Menor

1 minute ago, Menor said:

Don't think linear extrapolation works as Saturday nights will be much closer to Friday nights than Saturday matinees to Friday matinees

I agree. The conditional value of the raw data from Twitter once we already have  an Asgard number seems very, very, low to me. I just knew somebody was going to want to multiply through, so I took care of it straight away.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

I agree. The conditional value of the raw data from Twitter once we already have  an Asgard number seems very, very, low to me. I just knew somebody was going to want to multiply through, so I took care of it straight away.

Actually, now that I think about it a lot depends on the relative presale heaviness of Friday vs Saturday nights, so we can't really tell anything at all from that number

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Menor said:

Charlie might have been off yesterday but he did get several of the previous days dead on, and this time the estimate is in line with Rth

I know. I’m just teasing him.

• Haha 5