sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Nothing in my statement about social media is unreasonable. Social media has some great aspects to it but I don’t know how anyone can act like it hasn’t become a poison and has amplituded (which I stated in my original comment) the mob mentality. I didn’t say the mob mentality didn’t exist beforehand. I simply said it didn’t exist the way it exists today and I think that has a lot to do with social media. 

I like to call it "unsocial media" often because thats what it is unfortunately.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Can't really ask for more on a 2nd Saturday

For real.

before Avengers 3 & 4 came along, the highest Saturday ever recorded was Jurassic World's $69,644,830

$62M 2nd Saturday doesn't sound too shabby to me, if that holds

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Daxtreme said:

For real.

before Avengers 3 & 4 came along, the highest Saturday ever recorded was Jurassic World's $69,644,830

$62M 2nd Saturday doesn't sound too shabby to me, if that holds

That number is under Jurassic World :bouncy: Yes! Yes

• Haha 12

You can't really express a thoughtful opinion on twitter in a few characters.

anyway, it's just human nature. social media is not the cause...it just shows the way we are. and it's condensed in 250 characters

I’m a bit disappointed that it’s looking like a photo finish for the second weekend record.  I was hoping to relive the delirious excitement of last weekend.  

That said, squint your eyes and pretend that TFA’s second weekend doesn’t exist.  The next closest second weekend isn’t even in barking distance, and we are looking at 60M second Saturday.

Astounding really. 

Edited by LinksterAC

1 minute ago, ViewerAnon said:

I hope ENDGAME either falls 10% tomorrow or 35%, just because the forum’s reaction would be wonderful either way.

Some men just want to watch the forum burn.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I doubt Endgame will increase more than IW. As I keep saying it has strong IMAX/PLF grosses and there is limited growth potential in that format. Also late night shows have started to slow down. I would say somewhere in mid 40's to 50% increase today. So range should be 58-62m.

1 hour ago, RtheEnd said:

I had been intially going with 58-62, see how eve goes

Whoops.

giphy.gif

Its okay though. Endgame still gonna be #1 all time after its run is over. That’s enough for me. No more Cameron-stans claiming number one.

Edited by FilmBuff
  • Haha 4

Just now, FilmBuff said:

Whoops.

giphy.gif

Its okay though. Endgame still gonna be #1 all time after its run is over. That’s enough for me. No more Cameron-stans claiming number one.

I definitely have an inner troll because posts like this kinda make me hope AVATAR sneaks it out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

I definitely have an inner troll because posts like this kinda make me hope AVATAR sneaks it out.

Don't tell anyone but I've totally been rooting for Avatar to come out ahead of Endgame

• Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

21 minutes ago, Nova said:

Nothing in my statement about social media is unreasonable. Social media has some great aspects to it but I don’t know how anyone can act like it hasn’t become a poison and has amplituded (which I stated in my original comment) the mob mentality. I didn’t say the mob mentality didn’t exist beforehand. I simply said it didn’t exist the way it exists today and I think that has a lot to do with social media. 

You are aware that exact quotes are able to be pulled up, right? Yes, you stated that it did not exist before. 

There is a mob mentality and I think it 100% stems from a rise in social media cause it was not like this before that (from what I remember at least) Now a days, whatever the mob says goes...That gray area that we had, is kinda gone.“ 

It is really ironic that you use an expression that originated from the 1800s as a description to something “originating” from social media by the way. I explicitly state that social media amplifies behaviors that already exist. You are the one who ascribes the origin to it. If the statement were about social media exhibiting toxic behaviors, then I probably might have just agreed; however, it went further than that, and the statements that followed are just absolutely untrue.

The fact of the matter is that there has never been a “grey area,” and that is where the holes arise in your argument. I am not about to broach it anymore, so you might not want to reply. I just want to challenge an untruth because that is how you clear up misconceptions. Now your arguments are going to have more nuance. 

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

History made in the Kentucky Derby - 1st time winning horse EVER DQ'd for how it ran the race...crazy ending, and probably not the right call...but it's gonna be talked about...

What happened here? All over Facebook! I missed the race. 

1 minute ago, PenguinHyphy said:

You are aware that exact quotes are able to be pulled up, right? Yes, you stated that it did not exist before. 

There is a mob mentality and I think it 100% stems from a rise in social media cause it was not like this before that (from what I remember at least) Now a days, whatever the mob says goes...That gray area that we had, is kinda gone.“ 

It is really ironic that you use an expression that originated from the 1800s as a description to something “originating” from social media by the way. I explicitly state that social media amplifies behaviors that already exist. You are the one who ascribes the origin to it. If the statement were about social media exhibiting toxic behaviors, then I probably might have just agreed; however, it went further than that, and the statements that followed are just absolutely untrue.

The fact of the matter is that there has never been a “grey area,” and that is where the holes arise in your argument. I am not about to broach it anymore, so you might not want to reply. I just want to challenge an untruth because that is how you clear up misconceptions. Now your arguments are going to have more nuance. 

I think theres a misunderstanding going on: @Nova will probably agree with me (and you) that there were hardly any real grey areas in the past and toxic behaviour/lies/fake news always existed since humans began to exchange information even in its most basic forms.

But Social Media changed it to a massive degree: Today you can exchange information not only faster then ever - but with literally anyone on the whole planet that has access to the internet. Which also means that trolls for example have a better plattform then ever to spread false information or toxicity. The Internet is in many ways a wonderfull thing but it has some very unfortunate sides like these.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, john2000 said:

disney plus their streaming service

It just seems crazy. If I understand correctly, they are releasing Captain Marvel, Endgame, Toy Story 4, Aladdin, The Lion King, and a Star Wars movie this year.

EACH of those movies could serve a studio as its can't - miss tentpole blockbuster for a single year! And they are releasing all 6 this year?

Seems nutso to me .... With Captain Marvel and Endgame, they should have just said "OK, we dominated this year, the others will come out next year and beyond".

Edited by SteveJaros

7 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

What happened here? All over Facebook! I missed the race. 

The winning horse's jockey messed up around the turn and let his horse go a little "nuts", having him weave over and block a horse.  But the horse he blocked was NOT the 2nd place horse, and the 2nd place horse was not affected at all.

My mom called me (she's a 60 year+ horse racing fan and expert) and said normally the horse is only punted/DQ'd if the horse who complained is the impeded horse.  This time, that horse did NOT complain, but the 2nd place horse thought they could still push an ejection...and they got one after about 20 minutes of thumb-sucking by the officials.

The crowds were booing so loudly after the decision, you could hear it through the tv.  In fact, when they did the winner's circle, it was actually quite amusing.

I feel bad - it was a sloppy messy track...and the best horse won the race...but didn't win...if you could have awarded the race to the horse he impeded (or if that horse's team had even complained), maybe I'd feel better about it, but it seemed like the "winner" used the rules to win b/c he couldn't actually win the race...

EDIT TO ADD - No way the jockey gets to ride the DQ'd horse again in the Triple Crown, b/c it was, ultimately, his entire fault that his horse lost the race...he must have zoned out and not expected his horse to do what he did...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

The film is certainly slowing down, at least in the late showings. Tonight's 11:00 PM AMC Imax near me is only 20% sold right now. The midnight Dolby showing is only 10% sold. Rth's estimates seem solid to me.

• Thanks 1