sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

• Community Manager
4 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

I don’t think Pokémon has seen it’s potential

movie was based on spin off game with talking pikachu 

if they did it about actual mainline games with battling

Would have done a lot more 

If you're WB/Legendary, you aren't going to fund a mainline game video game based on DP's box office performance. We will get DP2 with a decreased budget, that will decrease, and then the franchise will be done.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

10 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I didn't like Pokémon much but damn,  the inability of Hollywood to create new viable IPs outside of superhero movies is starting to be very concerning ...

Nothing kinda new seems to grab the attention of the masses anymore.

Yeah, I'm getting a bit worried that Disney tentpoles (MCU, Star Wars, live-action remakes) are the only big-budget blockbusters that succeed these days.

Edited by stealthyfrog
  • Like 1

Just now, stealthyfrog said:

Yeah, I'm getting a bit worried that Marvel movies and Disney live-action remakes are the only big-budget blockbusters that succeed these days.

You say that like it's a bad thing!

/s

Also, I learned yesterday that Sonic isn't a Pokémon. WHAT? I legit thought he was a pokemon that just got so popular he got his own spin off franchise. Like Frasier and Cheers. 

• Haha 5
  • ...wtf 9
  • Disbelief 6
  • Knock It Off 1

• Community Manager
Just now, stealthyfrog said:

Yeah, I'm getting a bit worried that Marvel movies and Disney live-action remakes are the only big-budget blockbusters that succeed these days.

King of the Monsters should do well but pretty much giant monster fights are the same spectacle as overpowered human being fights.

• Like 1

Just now, DAJK said:

Also, I learned yesterday that Sonic isn't a Pokémon. WHAT? I legit thought he was a pokemon that just got so popular he got his own spin off franchise. Like Frasier and Cheers. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I doubt it. It's not like half the pokemon fanbase decided not to turn up because it was based off a spin off game rather than a mainline game. And general audiences don't care which game the movie is based on. If they're interested in a Pokémon movie, they'll go see it regardless of what aspect of the franchise it's adapted from. If they don't care, they don't care.

I actually know lots of Pokémon fans who are completely turned off by a Pikachu talking but who knows if we will ever know 

I do think detective pikachu will be profitable 

hardcore Pokémon fans who watched movie will boost blu Ray sales 

5 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I have to agree with you there. DP was a big chance for a new IP to create some variety but of course, it's not a superhero movie so of course nobody wants to see it in theaters. 

I been preaching this for years!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Minnale101 said:

I actually know lots of Pokémon fans who are completely turned off by a Pikachu talking but who knows if we will ever know 

I do think detective pikachu will be profitable 

hardcore Pokémon fans who watched movie will boost blu Ray sales 

the number of fans who would boycott a Pokémon movie because it has a talking Pokémon must be a VERY small number

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

Save us Cameron. You're our only hope. 

Titanic 2 in 2029. Titanic 3 in 2031. Titanic 4 in 2033. Titanic and Avatar crossover in 2035

• Haha 3

• Community Manager
Just now, IronJimbo said:

Jimbo is only doing Avatar's now.. it will be new and fresh but I suppose it's not a new IP?

At least it won't be more CBMs. 

(I have nothing against CBMs for the record. I like a lot of them. But I want more than just CBMs all the fucking time.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

the number of fans who would boycott a Pokémon movie because it has a talking Pokémon must be a VERY small number

Obviously the boycott didn’t work given this record breaking OW!