sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

“I’m giddy,” Warner Bros.’ head of domestic distribution Jeff Goldstein, said on a call Sunday morning. “This is a big weekend for ‘Detective Pikachu.'”

Goldstein has reason for the good cheer. The impressive start for “Detective Pikachu” signals a rare win for video-game to big-screen adaptations. As a whole, it’s a genre that’s filled with few hits. “Super Mario Bros.” and “Doom” are two of the more high-profile misfires, but even recent titles like Alicia Vikander’s “Tomb Raider” remake and Dwayne Johnson’s “Rampage” were not popular among video game enthusiasts.  

“It worked because of the lighthearted nature of the film,” Goldstein said. “You don’t need to be a Pokemon fan to see the movie.”

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/box-office-avengers-endgame-detective-pikachu-1203212160/

WB CEO is very happy with Pika's performance.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

They won't exactly say "yeah it's a flop". Which btw Pikachu isn't but because he's the CEO ofc he's going to sell it for bigger then what it is.

I still remember their justification for JL's bad performance on OW

https://deadline.com/2017/11/justice-league-opening-weekend-box-office-lower-thor-ragnarok-wonder-the-star-1202211094/

“It’s not just about the opening weekend, but it’s about the length of the run, especially given the extremely lucrative Thanksgiving holiday. We have lots of room to run,” said Warner Bros. domestic distribution boss Jeff Goldstein yesterday. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Cappoedameron said:

Unlike JL though, Pika is actually a good film with audiences loving it.

Good is subjective and we can't determine that until we see the legs.

• Thanks 1

So I'm not a Pokemon fan...can someone tell me...is Pokemon not as popular as originally thought or did people just not buy into a live action movie? I liked it well enough and that opening ain't bad at all, but I had it pegged for at least 75 mil. 

7 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

So I'm not a Pokemon fan...can someone tell me...is Pokemon not as popular as originally thought or did people just not buy into a live action movie? I liked it well enough and that opening ain't bad at all, but I had it pegged for at least 75 mil. 

latter

• Like 2

Just back from a ~ midday overnight work thing = had no cance to follow th weekend thread and such, so please excuse if it already got explained:

acc Charlie Jatinder in the International area Captain Marvel has passed $700m OS, what seems to be quite possible acc to the last actuals update from last weekend. As that is a milestone kind of number I'd expected that to get officially released too

= is there a reason, an idea for why BOM didn't update OS for it?

25 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

just because people like playing the games means they want to see the movie or a tv show. the show is still around but I doubt I gets huge ratings. Some big time comic fans don't get this as enjoying a comic moive is not the same investment as reading a comic or a big arc.

It’s not really a Pokémon movie that’s based on the games they grew up with

red and blue sold over 40 million copies. They couldn’t get that audience with battling and comedic relief instead of my edgy tone story 

Pokemon still big and popular.

Games still sell over 15 million copies and ip makes 2.5 billion a year with the IP

pokemon go just last year made 795 million and mobile games have much higher profit margins than movies 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

It’s not really a Pokémon movie that’s based on the games they grew up with

red and blue sold over 40 million copies. They couldn’t get that audience with battling and comedic relief instead of my edgy tone story 

Pokemon still big and popular.

Games still sell over 15 million copies and ip makes 2.5 billion a year with the IP

pokemon go just last year made 795 million and mobile games have much higher profit margins than movies 

very true

Detective Pikachu sold just like a half a million. 

Even the new regular games sell like 30 times that. 

You don't need to make Iron Man money to start a cinematic universe. The studios behind the monster movies (Godzilla and King Kong) have been churning them out on $150-$200M budgets and most of them make $500-$600M in return. They've been consistent in doing that. Or another example is the Planet of the Apes universe. 

Not sure where you'd go with a Pokemon universe from here or if it even compares (I don't think it does) but my point is, Iron Man/The MCU is literally the best of the best when it comes to franchises. Movies don't need to reach that to warrant cinematic universes. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Nova said:

You don't need to make Iron Man money to start a cinematic universe. The studios behind the monster movies (Godzilla and King Kong) have been churning them out on $150-$200M budgets and most of them make $500-$600M in return. They've been consistent in doing that. Or another example is the Planet of the Apes universe. 

Not sure where you'd go with a Pokemon universe from here or if it even compares (I don't think it does) but my point is, Iron Man/The MCU is literally the best of the best when it comes to franchises. Movies don't need to reach that to warrant cinematic universes. 

To be fair the PoTA universe was less a uni and more a franchise. Pikachu just isn't even projected to do as well as the MonsterVerse's starter (G-2014), let alone stuff like IM1, MoS, or TFA.

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

If one wishes to make an unstoppable franchise which will change the course of history and set the earth onto the path of righteousnous, one must start with the highest grossing film of all time then move on from there.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 2

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

If one wishes to make an unstoppable franchise which will change the course of history and set the earth onto the path of righteousnous, one must start with the highest grossing film of all time then move on from there.

RIP Alita's chances at a franchise then 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

27 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Unlike JL though, Pika is actually a good film with audiences loving it.

That’s all subjective. Let’s calm down, their cinemascores weren’t really far off B+ and A-. 

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

To be fair the PoTA universe was less a uni and more a franchise. Pikachu just isn't even projected to do as well as the MonsterVerse's starter (G-2014), let alone stuff like IM1, MoS, or TFA.

The PoTA to me feels more like a universe considering how long its been going around. As to your last point: it doesn't have to.