sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

17 minutes ago, SofNascimento said:

Talking about videogame adaptations, what we need is a Mass Effect film with Emily Blunt as Commander Shepard. 

Gimme a Dragon Age TV series. Too bad Netflix chose the Witcher series instead (based on the books, but still, most people know Witcher because of the games)

55 minutes ago, tawasal said:

Why would GWTW have hard core fans in the first place? And no, never get rid of historic and unique box office runs, that’s what makes following runs so exciting. Fantards on the other hand perish all of them.

Yeah but it's easier for me to disappear a fan than a movie. I guess disappear Avatar and Titanic from the memory if every single crazy fan.

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Gonna be honest, close to considering Netflix a shit channel. I do like mail order DVD selection.

Really? I have watched like 25 shows/docs the past couple months. I loathe TV and I don't want anything live anymore. Granted my TV tastes are insanely different from 3 years ago last time I was in the states.

2 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Amazon and Disney don't need to make money on streaming.

Streaming content is the biggest source of revenue for a company like Disney, 

Revenu last year for disney:

Media network: 24.5 b

Parks: 20.3b

Studio ent: 10b

consumer product-interactive media: 4.65b

And they just expended their world media footprint by a lot and spent 70B on it buying Fox. Studios will try really hard for every dollar getting away from the 200 billion paid TV business to shift it and still make it over the top streaming (by distributing internet themselve or using that saving on their advantage), people will most likely pay the same if not more in most market than before when you consider their Internet service cost.

Netflix will continue expanding to increase it's global footprint, the only way it can continue to grow.

They can raise the price also I imagine.

55 minutes ago, SofNascimento said:

Talking about videogame adaptations, what we need is a Mass Effect film with Emily Blunt as Commander Shepard. 

Let's find the infinity stones and snap this into existence

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

This is Titanic if Bay had made it.

That is exactly what I would have said, and possibly what was on the mind of the GIF creator.

That said, we already know what Michael Bay’s Titanic would look like. It’s called Pearl Harbor.

Edited by TServo2049

3 hours ago, Minnale101 said:

No production company would ever give up 50 million to digimon movie budget.

it wouldn’t come close to Pokémon box office 

You're right. Digimon wouldn't come close because it'd leave Pokemon in the dust. Better monsters/creatures, more spectacle, better fights, stronger story...etc

2 minutes ago, El Gato said:

You're right. Digimon wouldn't come close because it'd leave Pokemon in the dust. Better monsters/creatures, more spectacle, better fights, stronger story...etc

Digimon may be better anime wise but the GA wouldn’t give a rats ass about it. Power Rangers numbers is more or less what it’d do.

• Like 2

Just watched Infinity War again on Netflix. This was my third time seeing it, but first time since it ended its theatrical run.

Anyways, Infinity War is truly the main reason why Endgame exploded. It’s almost easy to forget how brilliantly Thanos is written. The depth of the villainous character is what has always succeeded for Star Wars. In Infinity War, you see an anti-hero who is capable of love, but supremely guided by his conviction/purpose. 

The last scene between Spider-Man and Tony is really heartbreaking. I have seen Endgame twice and loved it. I cannot decide on which film is better. They are different but both very entertaining in their own right. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Digimon may be better anime wise but the GA wouldn’t give a rats ass about it. Power Rangers numbers is more or less what it’d do.

Riiiight... Guess we'll see when a studio finally decides to make one. Digimon > Pokemon at the box office would be inevitable

Just now, El Gato said:

Riiiight... Guess we'll see when a studio finally decides to make one. Digimon > Pokemon at the box office would be inevitable

I doubt any average member of the GA knows a Digimon by name. Digimon just doesn’t have that relevancy.

Hell, the Digimon movie did less WW than the Pokémon 2000 did OW.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Just watched Infinity War again on Netflix. This was my third time seeing it, but first time since it ended its theatrical run.

Anyways, Infinity War is truly the main reason why Endgame exploded. It’s almost easy to forget how brilliantly Thanos is written. The depth of the villainous character is what has always succeeded for Star Wars. In Infinity War, you see an anti-hero who is capable of love, but supremely guided by his conviction/purpose. 

The last scene between Spider-Man and Tony is really heartbreaking. I have seen Endgame twice and loved it. I cannot decide on which film is better. They are different but both very entertaining in their own right. 

They're awesome for different reasons. I personally prefer Endgame after watching it a 2nd time but definitely can understand why someone would prefer Infinity War. They do legit feel like two different films which you often can't say for two sequels that were filmed back to back.

• Like 2

To me, Thanos is not sympathetic or an “anti-hero.” What he is, though, is a villain who clearly believes himself the hero of his own story and acts it. That is really hard to do well. Think of the MCU’s weaker villains, like Malekith or Ronan, and how easy it is to write this kind of stuff badly.

For example, I don’t know if we’re supposed to believe that what he thinks is love for Gamora truly is. We would not consider killing our adopted daughter against her will to be an act of love. People who complain about Gamora’s death say we’re supposed to sympathize with Thanos, but I never get that impression watching the movie. The impression I get is that his ethics are utterly warped, but he at least has them in his own mind.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

Really? I have watched like 25 shows/docs the past couple months. I loathe TV and I don't want anything live anymore. Granted my TV tastes are insanely different from 3 years ago last time I was in the states.

Yeah. It's mostly junk. Their original content is only worthwhile on rare occasions. Their selection of imports of nowhere near as impressive as it should be... The price is jumping. Prefer other streaming services. Shudder has come a long way. If the others continue to improve I'll scrap Netflix and just keep the mail away DVD option. The mail away is fantastic. Can get just about anything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TServo2049 said:

To me, Thanos is not sympathetic or an “anti-hero.” What he is, though, is a villain who clearly believes himself the hero of his own story and acts it.

For example, I don’t know if we’re supposed to believe that what he thinks is love for Gamora truly is. We would not consider killing oud adopted daughter against her will to be an act of love. People who complain about Gamora’s death say we’re supposed to sympathize with Thanos, but I never get that impression watching the movie. The impression I get is that his moral compass is utterly warped, but he at least has one in his own mind.

Exactly, IW doesn't ask the viewer to sympathize with Thanos at all. Giving him his arc is about making him that much better of a villain, not about making you root for him

• Like 1