sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

Endgame leading again this weekend! It’s now the highest grossing Marvel film domestically. Legs will be dependent but still a major big win for Disney. 

Detective Pikachu debuted decently with an estimated $58 million. It broke Lara Croft Tomb Raider’s 18-year récord for the highest grossing debut for a video game adaptation. It’s word of mouth is fine. A total of $160 million sounds reasonable at the moment.

The Hustle debuted fine. Word of mouth isn’t as good as other comedies(I.e. But

$35 million is a good total target.

The Intruder holding decent for a Sony thriller thanks to Mother’s Day weekend of course. A total on-par with When The Bough Breaks sounds a decent target at this point. 

Long Shot’s hold also was a benefit on this weekend as well. $30 million may be a  close reach possibly. 

Poms wasn’t so cheery as Diane Keaton’s surprise hit Book Club was last summer. the debut was even lower than Keaton’s Book Club co-star Jane Fonda’s Georgia Rule which bombed on Mother’s Day 2007, although that’s not including adjusted ticket price inflation as well. Poms may disappear like the Cincinnati Bengals cheerleaders and make close to $10 million domestic.

Fellow STX dud, Uglydolls got uglier this weekend. Uglydolls may come close to $20 million total. 

Breakthrough still hanging on. It should make $45 million domestic. Which would be a success for Fox as they haven’t had a hit since Bohemian Rhapsody. Also, this is a positive light for Disney as this is the first feature Disney with Fox partnership. 

Tolkien is a blur. Fox Searchlight is and always will be hit or miss. May be fine later  on with TV viewings on a Sunday afternoon.

Captain Marvel hanging on in the top 10. Should play well in two weeks with Aladdin drive-in combos. It is also a strong note that this is a very successful film with a Female Protagonist, and it should out gross Catching Fire very soon. A total close The Dark Knight Rises is likely. 

The Curse Of La Llorna continuously getting smashed in the over 50% range, but still a massive profit for a small budget. $55-$60 million is likely for its domestic total. 

Ending the top 12, Shazam!  Playing alright, it won’t outgross the competitor’s Ant-Man. But still very profitable for WB considering their other film earlier this year that was overpredicted as a tentpole underperformed. So $145 million for Shazam! Is likely. 

Overall for the weekend, the top  12 was at $165.6 million which was up 28% from last year when Infinity War led and Breaking In debuted strong while Life Of The Party turned out to be Melissa Mccarthy’s Lowest grossing film, although it was more of a hit than her next film later on The Happytime Murders.

May 2019 is overall pacing ahead of last year at this point and is not far from 2012, when The Avengers were making records. But can it beat 2013’s record monthly gross? It depends on how the next few titles turn out. 

Overall 2019 is ahead of 2014 and 2015 at this point. While coming close to 2016. And down from 2017 and last year(2018). Overall that may change with a crazy summer slate coming and potential solid tentpoles and some mild breakouts as well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I think the streaming bubble is going to pop and collapse soon honestly. 

Yes, i too think this. I got bored of Netflix already. The quality just isn't there. their original content is lacking

Edited by Alli

Just now, Mulder said:

that sounds like the same people on here calling since 2011 for the "funnybook comic book films" bubble to collapse.

Something collapses when something else takes it place, and i have not see that yet . 

• Like 2

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

that sounds like the same people on here calling since 2011 for the "funnybook comic book films" bubble to collapse.

Something collapses when something else takes it place, and i have not see that yet . 

That's way different. Streaming is becoming way too divided and is killing the purpose of why streaming got big in the first place aka having all your favorite things on one service. People are soon going to be paying about the same price as Cable TV for all the different streaming services out there. It's not sustainable. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

Streaming has convenience on its side which cinema does not. I think what would happen is that numerous services will fail while a few will basically dominate the whole market - and cinema declines anyway.

Just now, cookie said:

Streaming has convenience on its side which cinema does not. I think what would happen is that numerous services will fail while a few will basically dominate the whole market - and cinema declines anyway.

I think the burn-out over streaming's already increasing though. Lots of people are complaining about all the different services out there and are starting to resort to piracy.

I think the burn-out over streaming's already increasing though. Lots of people are complaining about all the different services out there and are starting to resort to piracy.

yeah I would like one streaming service that has all the movies and tv shows on there.

wait I already have, its called my IPTV box..

:stretcher:

Netflix will not add commercials. That said I could see couple of studios pull out of Hulu and may be partner with Netflix. i dont see any reason for WB(AT&T) or Universal(Comcast) to help Disney. I cant see them thrive on their own and so will have to partner. They would rather help Netflix than Disney. Plus from a pure tech perspective Netflix is way ahead of others and I doubt Disney will match them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mulder said:

That's way different. Streaming is becoming way too divided and is killing the purpose of why streaming got big in the first place aka having all your favorite things on one service. People are soon going to be paying about the same price as Cable TV for all the different streaming services out there. It's not sustainable. 

Considering people were paying that price for TV why would they not for a more coveniant service with more content ?

Cheaper was not much of an option, that was just a phase for already monetized content.

Streaming has been going on for 70 year's, over the internet or broadband isn't some big difference blogger make it sound like, it is almost exactly the same but worst for live event better for non-live event.

Edited by Barnack

Just now, Barnack said:

Considering people were paying that price for TV why would they not for a more coveniant service with more content ?

Cheaper was not much of an option, that was just a phase for already monetized content.

Except in people's minds it's not more convenient. It's more inconvenient to have to pay for a bunch of different services then for just 1-3.

With unlimited internet becoming common again...

The major challenge will be from the android and Internet Protocol tv boxes. 

Like everyone I know owns one of those and watches movies and tv from those

Just now, Mulder said:

If they're already pirating they would be doing that regardless of how many services there are, let's not kid ourselves. I don't buy that there's some sort of magical pricing and content combination that'd get them to suddenly pay up.

Like I said, in a few years time many services will have crashed and burned but those who remain will basically be invincible as long as streaming remains the most convenient (and legal) method of delivery.

Except in people's minds it's not more convenient. It's more inconvenient to have to pay for a bunch of different services then for just 1-3.

It will get bundled and will end up pretty much exactly like cable TV,  I imagine.

29 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Yeah with Disney+ coming with a bunch of MCU and Star Wars huge budgeted shows, Amazon spending a gazillion $$ on a LOTR show (among other things) and Netflix continuing to expand worldwide (with actual worldwide content) , the collapse is just around the corner.

The truth is that the streaming domination hasn’t even properly begun yet. Oh and the streaming services are actually the biggest reason that piracy is DECREASING. I mean you need what to have Netflix and amazon and Disney+ , less than 30$ per month for tons of content.

Edited by Thrylos 7

23 minutes ago, Alli said:

I wonder how long Netflix will stay without commercials..

Tubi got commercials. I watched The Running Man on it and it goes to commercial like two or three times. But Tubi is free, Netflix you have to pay.