sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

Target for top 5 Memorial opening is DoFP at 110.6  Top 3 out of reach. Kind of sad that the unadjusted record holder is from a dozen years ago, but I guess it’s just a matter of people not dating huge movies there anymore.

Just now, Porthos said:

3day Aladdin > 4day tracking?

Looks like it - and that's the high end of tracking.  What was the low end?  $75m 4 day?

So many years of being burned by the Memorial w/e bomb had every tracker and trade covering their butts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

Target for top 5 Memorial opening is DoFP at 110.6  Top 3 out of reach. Kind of sad that the unadjusted record holder is from a dozen years ago, but I guess it’s just a matter of people not dating huge movies there anymore.

Aladdin is a huge movie. Disney fucked up again with first teaser. 

• Like 1

Just now, Premium George said:

Aladdin is a huge movie. Disney fucked up again with first teaser. 

Could it have targeted the PotC record with better marketing? Maybe. But it’s not a huge movie. I just meant that e.g. Feige  and co could obliterate the MDW record if they wanted to, but there’s no incentive — the international Labor Day $$ is a great steady gig.

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

3day Aladdin > 4day tracking?

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Looks like it - and that's the high end of tracking.  What was the low end?  $75m 4 day?

So many years of being burned by the Memorial w/e bomb had every tracker and trade covering their butts.

I don't care about the very good reasons (and they ARE good reasons, as you mention), I will never ever not laugh when a 3day actual is greater than a 4day track.

I might be nice and keep it to a restrained chuckle.  But I'm still gonna laugh. ;)

Edited by Porthos

Just now, Thanos Legion said:

This is it. Inflation and the rise of the franchise have enabled box office records aplenty to go down. It just so happens that weekend isn't as prolific as it once was, whether it be the movies released on that weekend or the weekend itself.

Who knows? Presidents' Day weekend may be the new Memorial Day weekend. As movie-going in general decreases, people might be finding other other options for entertainment on long weekends during the nicer times of year (Memorial Day weekend, Independence Day weekend etc.), whereas before going to the movies was one of the go-to activities on those weekends. 

Now, take a weekend like Presidents' Day weekend in February, it's dead in the middle of winter and a movie seems like much more of a go-to entertainment option.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Glad Aladdin is pulling a Jungle Book

Probably won't be as leggy as that film due to the competition in the coming weeks.

The budget for Aladdin is $182m which is a bit higher than both Beauty and the beast and Maleficent. 

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 2

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

Aladdin should have been bigger than BaTB, especially in OS. Disney missed a billion dollar film. :gold:

You think so? I always got the feeling BatB was bigger than Aladdin. Might just be anecdotal though.

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

I'm actually starting to think The Secret Life of Pets 2 is gonna be the one that underperforms being stuck between Aladdin beating tracking and Toy Story 4 a surefire megahit.

SLOP2 will still make a profit due to Illumination having a tight rein on budgets but I think SLOP1 was more like Lego 1 where it came at the right time but SLOP2 is a bit of an afterthought.

4 hours ago, Menor said:

48690 at 4pm on Pulse, no slowdown and it will hit 50k or thereabouts at 5. It added 5k between 5pm and final on Thursday, I expect significantly higher for Friday so maybe 8kish, which puts it at 58k. Comps (throwing out those that were off by >1 million last night):

I2: 34.9 (lol)

Dumbo: 26.3

Pika: 25.6

BP: 20.1 (lol)

So...7-26-31-28-22 = 114...maybe?

33m combined

1 hour ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Bit in a hurry, take these rough estimates. (+/- 5%)

32-32.5

6.5-6.75

"The system works"?

(+/- a mil or so)

===

Menor posted, BTW, when Variety was saying 30m, FTR.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 5