sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

1 hour ago, Deja23 said:

Agreed. People will be willing to spend $5-10 (depending on where you live) on any random movie. Especially if it’s a group/family. But paying $16+ for a 2D movie every weekend isn’t feasible for most moviegoers. That’s more than I pay for Netflix each month. That’s why the blockbusters get significantly more attendees and many low budget films make less than $15m on OW. Most people want to feel like they’re getting their money’s worth by taking the time to drive to a theater/hire a babysitter/etc. with spectacle that won’t look as impressive on their TV. One of the theaters I go to has higher prices for recliner seats compared to regular ones, despite them all being in one auditorium. I know most theaters don’t have this option, and it’s only a $1 difference, but still. Lower prices for smaller films makes sense. Either that or go for the subscription thing. Maybe Regal can do something similar to A-List as some areas have no AMC theaters. And I thought Atom was attempting something similar too. 

Maybe this isn’t a problem for people with poor setups, but my biggest complaint is you want to charge me a lot of money but you’re not offering something better than what I have at home. In fact most of the time it’s substantially worse. Why in 1994 did we have the choice of VHS on a 22” TV or an amazing theater experience for $5 and now you want me to pay $13 for your crappy projector compared to my frankly much better looking 75” TV with 7.1 surround sound and a 4K movie?! It’ll be an 85” in the next house.

I saw Aladdin in IMAX and the projector for the first time ever in maybe 200 viewings in IMAX was the problem - it was blurry the entire movie for the left 20% of the screen! I thought at first wow fire the 1st AC, Will Smith is out of focus. Then wait a minute.. that’s the projector. It doesn’t matter what they spend on these projectors, projectors are themselves inferior technology to 4K TVs in most cases. They’re incapable of the level of detail or control that a TV has. My TV is incapable of having errors, it either works or it doesn’t work, and it always works. I go see 75 movies per year and probably leave the theater to complain 25 times because of poor audio quality or projector issues. It’s just bad technology and I can’t be the only one with a great system at home wondering why I pay more to listen to people screw with wrappers, crunch ice, talk, and then deal with a quiet sound system.

In general this is why I won’t watch anything in any format besides IMAX if that’s an option because at least their systems are amazing and I rarely ever have issues. I’ve never had an audio issue in an IMAX theater still, it’s all controlled by the company so the theater can’t screw it up. The theater next to me will fuck up just about every other movie, it’ll always be way too quiet and if I wanted that I’d be watching movies with my mother in law lol. It shook my faith a bit when they had this projector issue because I’ve never seen that happen before to IMAX. They don’t make me want to go to theaters though when my home system is just capable of better quality sound and video than theirs is going to deliver most of the time. I CAN get it at home, so step up your game and start offering 8K projection and Dolby Atmos in every theater because my 4K TV and 7.1 IS better than what most auditoriums are giving me as they’re set, at least. 

• ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Maybe this isn’t a problem for people with poor setups, but my biggest complaint is you want to charge me a lot of money but you’re not offering something better than what I have at home. In fact most of the time it’s substantially worse. Why in 1994 did we have the choice of VHS on a 22” TV or an amazing theater experience for $5 and now you want me to pay $13 for your crappy projector compared to my frankly much better looking 75” TV with 7.1 surround sound and a 4K movie?! It’ll be an 85” in the next house.

I saw Aladdin in IMAX and the projector for the first time ever in maybe 200 viewings in IMAX was the problem - it was blurry the entire movie for the left 20% of the screen! I thought at first wow fire the 1st AC, Will Smith is out of focus. Then wait a minute.. that’s the projector. It doesn’t matter what they spend on these projectors, projectors are themselves inferior technology to 4K TVs in most cases. They’re incapable of the level of detail or control that a TV has. My TV is incapable of having errors, it either works or it doesn’t work, and it always works. I go see 75 movies per year and probably leave the theater to complain 25 times because of poor audio quality or projector issues. It’s just bad technology and I can’t be the only one with a great system at home wondering why I pay more to listen to people screw with wrappers, crunch ice, talk, and then deal with a quiet sound system.

In general this is why I won’t watch anything in any format besides IMAX if that’s an option because at least their systems are amazing and I rarely ever have issues. I’ve never had an audio issue in an IMAX theater still, it’s all controlled by the company so the theater can’t screw it up. The theater next to me will fuck up just about every other movie, it’ll always be way too quiet and if I wanted that I’d be watching movies with my mother in law lol. It shook my faith a bit when they had this projector issue because I’ve never seen that happen before to IMAX. They don’t make me want to go to theaters though when my home system is just capable of better quality sound and video than theirs is going to deliver most of the time. I CAN get it at home, so step up your game and start offering 8K projection and Dolby Atmos in every theater because my 4K TV and 7.1 IS better than what most auditoriums are giving me as they’re set, at least. 

speak for yourself...

Most people do not have 85 inch 4k TVs with surround sound. FOr most people even poor quality cinemas are vastly better than their TV at home.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

$17.1mn International weekend // $1881.2mn cume.

Monday $2.2mn Approx // $1883.4mn

Box office mojo is mentioning 1883 after weekend.

37 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

$17.1mn International weekend // $1881.2mn cume.

Monday $2.2mn Approx // $1883.4mn

This number make more sense,

Impossible Disney to underestimate a movie by a amount that worth a day of gross.

OS-ch drop narrow down to about 57%.....

28 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Well that makes more sense. Party cancelled 😛 

Nope. I'm not even as sure as Charlie if this is Monday OS-C numbers (I'm out and can't really make the math now) but even if it is, Endgame is still performing way above people were expecting during the weekend. A party is more than warranted.

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

Nope. I'm not even as sure as Charlie if this is Monday OS-C numbers (I'm out and can't really make the math now) but even if it is, Endgame is still performing way above people were expecting during the weekend. A party is more than warranted.

Its still not enough to get Avatar. No party until 2788.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Its still not enough to get Avatar. No party until 2788.

Endgame is doing just fine to get there. Like I was discussing with @nguyenkhoi282 earlier, once Endgame keeps chugging along just like it did now next weekend I hope this sky is falling freak out stops.

That actuals OS update is amazing, even the Monday number is amazing.

We need to avoid using Mojo's China number in weekly breakdowns because of their ER problem. I'm currently using POTUS China chart for IW run and it gives much better results.

Infinity War 5th weekend was 14.5M (951M total) followed by 4M in weekdays, and added another 10M in 6th weekend (965M). So with the similar ratio, EG should be doing 4.7M for the 5th weekdays, but Monday is already 2.2M, which means 7-8M instead (unless Mon is a holiday). This also bodes well for the weekend.

Edited by nguyenkhoi282
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

speak for yourself...

Most people do not have 85 inch 4k TVs with surround sound. FOr most people even poor quality cinemas are vastly better than their TV at home.

I'd love that setup but I'm cheap. 2011 Samsung LCD 50 inch. 

It's a great screen and I got it for about 80% off of original price. Survived the trip to England 3 years ago. We'll see if it makes it back. On a boat right now.

Edited by cdsacken

Alright so Monday is Bank Holiday in the UK, so it skewed the number slightly. Still, 2.2M Monday. I think Tue + Wed + Thu will be another 4.1M. So 5th weekdays will be 6.3M (1.8775B total) vs 4M of IW.

IW made 10M in 6th weekend from 4M 5th weekdays (250%). Assuming 200% for EG, 6th weekend will be 12.5M (-27%) and total of 1.900B by Sunday. 

Domestically, approx 808M by Thu and 818M by Sun.

Worldwide total by 6th Sunday: 2.715-2.718B 

Just enough to keep Avatar on track (+/-5M)

Edited by nguyenkhoi282
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

Alright so Monday is Bank Holiday in the UK, so it skewed the number slightly. Still, 2.2M Monday. I think Tue + Wed + Thu will be another 4.1M. So 5th weekdays will be 6.3M (1.8775B total) vs 4M of IW.

IW made 10M in 6th weekend from 4M 5th weekdays (250%). Assuming 200% for EG, 6th weekend will be 12.5M (-27%) and total of 1.900B by Sunday. 

Domestically, approx 808M by Thu and 818M by Sun.

Worldwide total by 6th Sunday: 2.715-2.718B 

Just enough to keep Avatar on track (+/-5M)

I'd love for that to be true, but that seems like an overly optomistic drop for this weekend OS when it's been dropping way harder every week. 

Why would it suddenly drop so little this weekend?

9 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

I'd love for that to be true, but that seems like an overly optomistic drop for this weekend OS when it's been dropping way harder every week. 

Why would it suddenly drop so little this weekend?

That's what i can extrapolate from the weekdays performance in comparison with IW (-21% in similar weekend). I've adjusted EG for competition already and it still comes out like that. So, i don't know, just the numbers.