sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

I've been reading online that some are disappointed that "Brightburn" and "Booksmart" couldn't break out as much this weekend.   Look, the Summer Blockbuster season is a bloodbath.  Studios are all fighting for dollars.  Everyone isn't big time movies buffs and pick their movies wisely because of cost.  They don't see everything back to back each week.  Smaller films have broken out here or there.  And I would never say there isn't room for smaller films to find a summer audience.  With that said, to expect Families to not flock to a fun fantasy movie like "Aladdin" over a Family oriented Memorial Day Holiday weekend just isn't realistic.   

5 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

I will try to dig into this later but does anyone know of a wide release film (not art house or limited release) that received a 90% or better critical score on RT but had an audience score of 20+ points below that? It is far more common for critics to hate a wide release film while audiences love it (see Aladdin); but the inverse of that is rare. Black Panther has a difference of 18 points so it is close. Is there any wide release that rivals Booksmart’s 23 point gap and was loved by critics?

US (2019)

94% (Critic) vs 64% (Audience)

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

I will try to dig into this later but does anyone know of a wide release film (not art house or limited release) that received a 90% or better critical score on RT but had an audience score of 20+ points below that? It is far more common for critics to hate a wide release film while audiences love it (see Aladdin); but the inverse of that is rare. Black Panther has a difference of 18 points so it is close. Is there any wide release that rivals Booksmart’s 23 point gap and was loved by critics?

TLJ, The Kid Who Would Be King... and Widows if you count that. it's not uncommon.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

Next weekend will seal the deal for Avatar discussion as it's the last/biggest challenge for EG. Dark Phoenix is a Disney release now, won't have an effect. Pets 2 will drop significantly from the first. Then it's a free runway till Toy Story 4 gives it a boost, then FFH and The Lion King. 

Why people assume every Disney release will benefit each other? Will I suddenly feel emotional and wish to recall for endgame while I see buzzlightyear or simba singing big screen?

Assuming every Disney film will benefit their existing holdover is a terrible assumption. And FFH was the only reasonable film that bring some freshness back to endgame but wasn't even a Disney release, it is Sony. Almost no way they can do double feature with endgame.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

Let’s chill with calling dark Phoenix a bomb 

a lot of people said same thing about Aladdin before release 

DP is the only, only superhero movie in recent years which trailers i cannot bear rewatching.

5 hours ago, a2k said:

PIKA had a 42 global weekend for 358 cume:

24.7 os weekend for 238 cume

17.3 4-day dom weekend for 120 cume

45 more os + 25 more dom = 70 more for close to 430 ww looks like the least it should do

450 ww is tough but can't ruled out.

so Pika Pika is more likely to finish with 145 than 160 dom

:Gaga:

4 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

TLJ, The Kid Who Would Be King... and Widows if you count that. it's not uncommon.

Thanks for the list. TLJ had the backlash campaign against it by the incels so that’s not surprising. The Kid Who Would Be King is a very interesting one. I never saw it so I wonder what audiences didn’t like about it. Widows is another female driven film which may be a factor. Us (mentioned upthread) was simply too unorthodox for mass audiences to love like the critics did.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Us (mentioned upthread) was simply too unorthodox for mass audiences to love like the critics did.

unorthodox? nice way of saying it was garbage. there was nothing unconventional about US.  the audience was right about US.

Edited by Alli
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Knock It Off 5

10 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

ETA: The Favourite has a 26 point difference (93 vs. 67) and it topped out at 1,500+ screens. It’s also a female driven comedy.

A24 typically has a big gap

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/lady_bird

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_witch_2016

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gloria_bell

Some close ones:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/moonlight_2016 (19 point gap)

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hereditary (89 critic score)

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/it_comes_at_night (87 critic score)

Though the most prominent example of this gap has to be...  https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_the_last_jedi :ph34r:

21 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

ETA: The Favourite has a 26 point difference (93 vs. 67) and it topped out at 1,500+ screens. It’s also a female driven comedy.

US this year have 94 vs 64

The Last Jedi 91 vs 44

Captain Marvel 78 vs 56

Hereditary is 89 vs 64

Roma 96 vs 71

Sorry to Bother you 93 vs 71

Widows 91 vs 62

High life 83 vs 47 (not wide though)

The Shape of Water 92 vs 72

Phantom Thread 91 vs 70

Probably many more.

• Like 1

So basically the types of movies with these RT Critics >> RT User scores are:

• Art House films that went wide
  • Polarizing horror films
  • Franchise films that pissed off people
  • Bait and switch films

Seems like these films can be easily identified in the future. Booksmart certainly seems to fit that first category, even if it was marketed poorly.

There does seem to be a trend of critics getting increasingly out of touch with audiences. It used to be rare for a mainstream rotten movie to be well liked by audiences, but in the past year or two it is becoming increasingly more common.

Edited by MovieMan89

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

so Pika Pika is more likely to finish with 145 than 160 dom

:Gaga:

I think doing 2x it's 4-day and adding 35 more for 155 is certainly doable. 25 more for 145 dom was a conservative estimate, say the competition from Pets and TS affects it a lot or something.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

There does seem to be a trend of critics getting increasingly out of touch with audiences. It used to be rare for a mainstream rotten movie to be well liked by audiences, but in the past year or two it is becoming increasingly more common.

Meh. Arthouse stuff is generally never loved by general audiences. No trend. This dates back forever. 

And, mainstream rotten stuff... I mean, Dead Man's Chest was and is beloved. Rotten. There's many more examples.

Most of the breakouts mainstream lately actually have been liked or loved by critics. 

• Like 4