Eric Atreides

Best Picture Winner Parasite l October 11, 2019 (limited) l Neon l Palme d'Or winner from Bong Joon-ho

14 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

LOL, he's quite brave for admiting something like this in these days of the 'Cancel Culture'. I wouldn't be shocked if Twitter starts trying to canel him for this story. 

I recall he mentioned this forever ago. Very early in the films run. Nothing came of it. Maybe it was on reddit?

https://deadline.com/2020/02/parasite-bong-joon-ho-life-is-beautiful-specialty-box-office-1202870342/

The Parasite train keeps on gaining traction. The four-time Oscar-winning Bong Joon-ho dark comedy is crossing $50M right now at the domestic box office — but the real question is, can it beat Life Is Beautiful’s box office gross of $57M. If it maintains its momentum, signs are pointing to yes.

• Like 1

I don't think it will pass "Life Is Beautiful". Should end it's run between 54 and 55 million $.

Parasite Worldwide: $259mn + (couldn't find updates for some countries)

Asia & Oceania : $129.0mn

South Korea: $73.4 mn

Japan: $31.8 mn

Taiwan: $5.0 mn

Vietnam: $3.0mn

Australia: $3.2 mn

Hong Kong: $2mn

Russia: $1.7 mn

Indonesia: $1.5mn

Thailand: $1.5mn

Singapore: $0.8mn

India: $0.6mn

South East Asia: $4.5mn (could be more)

Europe : $63.7mn

France: $14.4mn

UK: $11.8mn

Germany: $7.4mn

Spain: $6.9mn

Italy: $6.0mn

Netherlands: $3.3mn

Switzerland: $1.7mn

Norway: $1.6mn

Denmark: $1.3mn

Finland: $1.1mn

Belgium: $1.1mn

Greece: $0.8mn

Turkey: $0.8mn

Others: $5.5mn

Latin America : $14.9mn

Mexico: $7.3 mn

Brazil: $3.1mn

Colombia: $1.6mn

Argentina: $1.1mn

Chile: $0.7mn

Central American: $0.55mn

Others: $0.6mn

North America : $50.0mn

Others: $2.0mn

Edited by Viktor Vilotijevic

So here's a bit of a long, meandering story about this movie. There's a boy I went to school with, and played sports with for about 10 years, and in high school he became one of my sisters closest friends. Probably one of the most down-to-Earth, kindest people I've met in my entire life. Over a year and a half ago, less than a week before he was supposed to graduate, and the week before his prom, he collapsed, and doctors found an inoperable brain tumor, and he spent his prom and grad in the hospital, watching through FaceTime as his friends carried 'him' through the Prom and across the stage. Most of the boys in his grad class wore his basketball jersey # on their suits for prom, and on their gowns for grad. 

The family found out about an experimental treatment in Europe, and would have to send him overseas multiple times for him to have a chance. His friends and family put on fundraisers, and our town was able to raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for him to get his treatment. And the treatment helped for a while. He spend another year, while not in great condition, able to see his friends, go out, and he even got started on some classes to eventually transfer for a degree in software engineering. But his condition worsened, and he can no longer walk by himself and on some days has trouble speaking. 

My sister talked to him yesterday and told me about the conversation she had with him. She said he was texting her about a movie he recently watched, Parasite, and how it was one of the coolest movies he had ever watched. Said that it had so many twists and turns, and he was so excited when watching it. This had been the first time in months she had heard him so excited over something. The movie meant something to him, and made him feel excited about something. Given everything he has gone through, and continues to go through, this movie was able to make him feel happy.

And it just makes me think about how we talk about movies. Sure, some of us may not like a movie as much as others, and we have sometimes very heated arguments over these opinions. But seeing how important a movie can be, or the impact it can have on someone's life, no matter how small, goes to show the importance of storytelling, and championing when a movie succeeds or is able to affect so many people in a positive way. I went through this whole story to give a sense of context of the impact Parasite had on this boy, how it was able to make him happy and excited about something, and how his family and friends were once again able to see him be excited about something. I think this is so important for us to recognize when discussing film, because whatever our opinions are on a particular story/movie/studio, there are people around the world who are affected in different ways by the stories we hear and the movies we watch. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Parasite Worldwide: $272mn + (estimate trough 3/5/20)

Asia & Oceania : $132.8mn

South Korea: $73.2 mn

Japan: $35.5 mn

Vietnam: $3.0mn

Australia: $3.5 mn

Hong Kong: $2mn

Russia: $1.6 mn

South East Asia: $4.5mn (could be more)

Europe : $69.1mn

France: $14.9mn

UK: $13.9mn

Germany: $8.6mn

Spain: $8.0mn

Italy: $6.1mn

Netherlands: $3.3mn

Norway: $1.8mn

Turkey: $1.0mn

Others: $5.5mn

Latin America : $16.0mn

Mexico: $7.5 mn

Brazil: $4.0mn

Argentina: $1.1mn

Central American: $0.55mn

Others: $0.6mn

North America : $52.0mn

Parasite is lucky to have Oscar ceremony to be held on 9 February, the earliest ever Oscar.  

If Oscar goes on with its usual date in last Sunday of February, parasite will receive little Oscar bump as all countries are now busy fighting the coronavirus and people will avoid crowd in cinema.

At least Parasite got to enjoy 1-2 weeks calm period before everything goes south starting late-Feb. 

• Like 1

Parasite Worldwide: $290.0mn+ (estimate trough 3/19/20)

Asia & Oceania : $141.3mn

South Korea: $73.2mn

Japan: $41.0 mn

Vietnam: $3.2mn 

Australia & NZ: $4.2mn

Hong Kong: $2.2mn

Russia: $3.1 mn

South East Asia: $5.0mn

Europe : $76.3mn

France: $15.5mn

UK: $15.7mn

Germany: $9.4mn

Spain: $9.1mn

Italy: $6.3mn

Netherlands: $4.1mn

Norway: $2.1mn

Turkey: $1.1mn

Others: $7.0mn

Latin America : $17.2mn

Mexico: $7.8mn

Brazil: $4.1mn

Argentina: $1.3mn

Central American: $0.7mn

Others: $1.0mn

North America : $53.5mn

Top 5 markets:

1. South Korea

2. USA

3. Japan

4. UK

5. France

Projected worldwide total: 293-5 million $

• Like 2

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/04/parasite-streaming-record-hulu-most-watched-1202225107/

Bong Joon Ho’s “Parasite” is proving to be a streaming monster since making its exclusive debut April 8 on Hulu. The streaming giant confirms to IndieWire that in just one week “Parasite” has become the most streamed independent or foreign language film among all titles available on Hulu. Even more impressive, “Parasite” is now the second most-watched movie overall on Hulu ever among titles currently available to stream. What that means is that in one week “Parasite” out-streamed the lifetimes of popular titles such as “How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World,” “A Quiet Place,” “Transformers: The Last Knight,” and “Creed II,” all of which have been available to stream on Hulu for several months.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 4