Eric the IF

Weekend Thread: Actuals - TS4 59.7, Annabelle 20.3 (31.1 5-Day), Yesterday 17, Aladdin 10.1, Pets 7.3, MIB 6.7, Endgame 6.1

I was getting a sneaky suspicion that Yesterday was gonna overperform the past few days since the late marketing push was big and the movie looks like a good excuse to spend two hours in a theater listening to The Beetles (and jukebox musicals are clearly in after Mamma Mia 2/ABBA, Bohemian Rhapsody/Queen, and Rocketman/Elton John all over the past year). Granted Beetles nostalgia didn't do much for 2007's Across the Universe but that was also a much weirder/ambitious movie than this looked to be.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

Is anyone else getting this problem of getting redirected to the first page by clicking on any page no. ?

Not only that sometimes when I open the BOT it automatically goes to 1st page. It's happening quite frequently too

So once again many many people here overreacted at weaker opening day and Thursday numbers for Annabelle. And a few of us we're saying that this is classic forum members overreactions. I know this seems like it was a hundred years ago but when Shrek 2 opened on a Wednesday and it open softly everybody lost their fucking minds LOL and then it went on to have an absolutely massive opening weekend. sometimes you just got to take a breath and let things play out before you start panicking.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, a2k said:

Good Fri increase for Annabelle. 30+ 5-day still is less than previous one's 35 3-day but whatever, that's been the year for WB.

Yeah its good indeed. I think its the last time ever Warner opens on a tuesday. Just did not make any sense. First Purge was different it opened on 4th of July. Annabelle opened on a week full of normal workdays ahead.

The recent TCU movies have been massively disappointment. I still remember the 1st Conjuring. It's still a great movie. The scare jumps are so predictable from Anabelle movies it's not even funny. The prequel was decent. The Nun was disaster.... I still have high hopes for Conjuring 3. James Wan should return to direct that flick rather than someone who just turned into a director who was writer.. 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

So once again many many people here overreacted at weaker opening day and Thursday numbers for Annabelle. And a few of us we're saying that this is classic forum members overreactions. I know this seems like it was a hundred years ago but when Shrek 2 opened on a Wednesday and it open softly everybody lost their fucking minds LOL and then it went on to have an absolutely massive opening weekend. sometimes you just got to take a breath and let things play out before you start panicking.

I cannot imagine if BoT existed in the Titanic madness , seeing all the members got panic attack from Titanic's 28m opening and barely hold off 007's film to number 1 opening, only to see the "meltdown" afterwards.   

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tawasal said:

It was bound to bomb, no way it was repeating or doing anything close to the original. That was the most once in a lifetime run i have ever seen. 

Would be weird if other movies had 1000% increases 2 months into the run

1 minute ago, sfran43 said:

Same for me! I thought it was my phone glitching

I think it's happening for mobile phone users only. PC users don't have that problem I'm guessing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Permanent Magnet said:

agree!

but i would put Titanic and SW runs over E.T.

EDIT : my big fat greek! lol.

Are you really laughing at what MBFGW did in it's box office run? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

I cannot imagine if BoT existed in the Titanic madness , seeing all the members got panic attack from Titanic's 28m opening and barely hold off 007's film to number 1 opening, only to see the "meltdown" afterwards.   

That era was different nobody would have panicked... There were no sources like we have now and weekend weren't huge like they are now. Movies became blockbuster depending on high the movie was staying in theatres. In India Sholay movie was ran for 5 years consecutive. Another movie Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge is still running in 1theatre after 18 years.. It's very different ballpark. We will never have those kind of movies now

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Definitely not a great hold for TS4 considering there is no completion (Incredibles 2 had the 148m opening Jurassic World sequel)

Endgame seems like its doing well. Spider-Man could also help it

Wait, there's another Spider-Man coming out? What in the name of fuck? This is so sad. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

It wouldn't shock me if AE comes in below 6M by Sunday. I expect to be somewhat frontloaded.

i just rechecked numbers at the 5 local theaters that are playing it around me and all of them have sold fewer tickets than they did for Friday at this point. I don't have a showing today that has sold more than 37 tickets and most of the showings are in the single digit ticket sales.

I had a 4-6M range for the weekend and I am still thinking in that range.

I think Saturday's increase is going to be pretty muted (I believe the hardcore fans went out and saw it yesterday - and some of those same fans will probably see it again today). Sunday's sales around me are really anemic (total pre-sales for Sunday right now at the 5 theaters combined is 66 tickets across 15 showings and 1,716 total seats available - 10 of the 15 shows have 2 or fewer sold seats including all 5 shows that start after 5 pm.)

Something like 

2.232 (+20)

1.675 (-25)

Would not surprise me.

FWIW, Deadline has a good article on this re-release. It's not really a worldwide re-release. It's primarily the US and some, but hardly all of the OS markets.

https://deadline.com/2019/06/avengers-endgame-re-release-avatar-record-spider-man-far-from-home-box-office-1202639520/

This weekend’s new cut of Endgame is primarily a domestic play largely pushed by a digital marketing campaign. Abroad, the pic will play in Latin America (Mexico), UK/Ireland, Germany, Spain, Russia and some Asian Pacific corridor countries including Australia/New Zealand and Japan.

• Like 1