Eric the IF

Weekend Thread: Actuals - TS4 59.7, Annabelle 20.3 (31.1 5-Day), Yesterday 17, Aladdin 10.1, Pets 7.3, MIB 6.7, Endgame 6.1

23 minutes ago, Felandria said:

Over at Disney Springs, they’ve cancelled a late Toy Story and added a sixth showing of Endgame, the 7:30 has been sold out since yesterday.

Bear in mind that as late as Thursday, there were only two showtimes scheduled a day this weekend.

18 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

In a move I don't fully comprehend the logic behind, my theater has more showings of Endgame on Monday than they do today. 

Figure that one out. 

Not hard to figure when the PTA is 3k plus this w/e - better than all in the top 10 except TS4 and the two openers and in many cases screens are only running 2 or 3 showings.

My local is considerably up from yesterday for it's first two shows.   The 11am increased from maybe 50 to 78.   The second show is currently well ahead of yesterday as well with 2 hours before showtime.

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

No... TS4 should get $ 300M by next Sunday. Should be able to do at least around $ 380M, more depending on FFH / TLK impact.

Aladdin is doing $ 350M maximum

THIS.

While Aladdin continues to hold well, it's max is $350 at this point. 

The July 4th week is going to be very kind to Toy Story 4 thanks to calendar configuration. Monday is a holiday in Canada. Thursday is a holiday in US, which means Wednesday acts like a Friday. Since Thursday is off, many people will take Friday off to make it a long weekend, and thus Friday should be stronger than usual. 

It's also the reason Sony chose to release Spidey on Tuesday, to take advantage of that configuration. 
Toy Story 4 still has a very good shot at 400+ million, but most certainly will be passing 350 million. 

Edited by VanillaSkies
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Vegas wedding (the site provides clips) is absolutely pathetic. Elvis impersonator? really? that's not gonna last. 

IDK, after they got married I was looking at the list of other celebrities who eloped in Vegas and there were some couples that made it (Paul Newman/Joanne Woodward, Kelly Ripa/Mark Consuelos, Bon Jovi and his wife), but a lot that didn't last. The track record with celebrity couples overall isn't the best, but Las Vegas seems to add a train wreck factor in some cases. 

If neither person is French, the couple has to jump through a lot of hoops to have a legally valid wedding in France. What many people do is get married here and go over there for a big fancy ceremony. You can do the legal part of it very quietly, but you get way more headlines for eloping in Vegas with Elvis impersonator. Now a second set of headlines for the big formal ceremony and celebrity guest list...

Go Rocketman!

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

I thought at least some of the Mulan songs were back in. Reading the article, it sounds like that’s still correct, but the implication is that they will be performed over scenes by someone else (like in Toy Story, or Tarzan).

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Guess not. Also changing Mushu to a phoenix is just stupid.

If you see my edit, I clarified. What I think I heard before, and what this article also seems to indicate, is that any songs carried over from the original will be performed over scenes in the fashion of Randy Newman in Toy Story or Phil Collins in Tarzan.

Edited by TServo2049

3 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Guess not. Also changing Mushu to a phoenix is just stupid.

As time progresses, Disney will very likely use test screenings to gauge what changes – if any – need to be made via reshoots and post-production.

They can still change it if the test screenings are not favorable.

32 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

How is Sunday in Japan going to be higher than Saturday? Does that happen usually in that market?

No, that 115 is for OS weekend, including Japan and Hong Kong. 

The link to his spreadsheet explains the breakdown. China will be about 100 million weekend. 

13 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Aladdin didn't change the things that made it recognizable. Unlike Mulan, which is literally changing basically everything. 

The songs are in the movie, just not singing by the actors. 

And Aladdin is a success because GP embrace it, Mulan could easily find similar reception even with online hate. 

15 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

IDK, after they got married I was looking at the list of other celebrities who eloped in Vegas and there were some couples that made it (Paul Newman/Joanne Woodward, Kelly Ripa/Mark Consuelos, Bon Jovi and his wife), but a lot that didn't last. The track record with celebrity couples overall isn't the best, but Las Vegas seems to add a train wreck factor in some cases. 

If neither person is French, the couple has to jump through a lot of hoops to have a legally valid wedding in France. What many people do is get married here and go over there for a big fancy ceremony. You can do the legal part of it very quietly, but you get way more headlines for eloping in Vegas with Elvis impersonator. Now a second set of headlines for the big formal ceremony and celebrity guest list...

Go Rocketman!

:hahaha: I guess it's a great advertising but, yeah, that venue is such poor quality, you wouldn't know it was a celebrity couple eloping.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

The songs are in the movie, just not singing by the actors. 

And Aladdin is a success because GP embrace it, Mulan could easily find similar reception even with online hate. 

Songs are not the only thing that matters. 

Aladdin added on characters but never replaced them or cut them. Mulan is cutting multiple characters and replacing Mulan's sidekick whom I argue is just as popular as Robin Williams Genie, Mushu. 

1 minute ago, Cappoedameron said:

Songs are not the only thing that matters. 

Aladdin added on characters but never replaced them or cut them. Mulan is cutting multiple characters and replacing Mulan's sidekick whom I argue is just as popular as Robin Williams Genie, Mushu. 

Still could be embraced by GP.

and they’re just making a test, like the article say, they will make test screenings to see if people react well or they will reshoot some parts and add things back. 

2 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Do you have a proof for this? This accusation is really serious. Anyone making this should have solid proofs.

Just this past weekend, Aladdin had a sub-25% drop. Sure, it's having great legs, but it seems interesting that it had the lowest drop in the top 10, in spite of a 120M opener targeting the same audience.

That's not even the most egregious example. Dumbo jumped over 250% on Memorial Day weekend, Ant-Man and the Wasp saw a 27% drop on Christopher Robin's weekend in spite of the past couple weeks being 40% or greater, Solo dropped 36% on I2's weekend despite two bad drops and losing over 1,000 theaters, A Wrinkle in Time got a boost every time a new Disney movie dropped, Pirates 5 saw a staggering 16% drop after two weekends of 50%+ drops on Cars 3's weekend. Captain Marvel and Black Panther also saw miniscule drops on the weekend their respective Avengers movie dropped. Sure it might not happen all the time, and there are plenty of other factors that go into a movie's holds. But when a Disney movie launches, other Disney movies often see better than average holds.

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Just this past weekend, Aladdin had a sub-25% drop. Sure, it's having great legs, but it seems interesting that it had the lowest drop in the top 10, in spite of a 120M opener targeting the same audience.

That's not even the most egregious example. Dumbo jumped over 250% on Memorial Day weekend, Ant-Man and the Wasp saw a 27% drop on Christopher Robin's weekend in spite of the past couple weeks being 40% or greater, Solo dropped 36% on I2's weekend despite two bad drops and losing over 1,000 theaters, A Wrinkle in Time got a boost every time a new Disney movie dropped, Pirates 5 saw a staggering 16% drop after two weekends of 50%+ drops on Cars 3's weekend. Captain Marvel and Black Panther also saw miniscule drops on the weekend their respective Avengers movie dropped. Sure it might not happen all the time, and there are plenty of other factors that go into a movie's holds. But when a Disney movie launches, other Disney movies often see better than average holds.

Isn't that generally due to double features? Especially in Summer when drive-in theaters are a thing.

Edited by Ledmonkey96
  • Like 11

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

Those are not proofs. Those are more accusations that needed proofs. And regarding your last sentence, have you never thought of double features? Anyway, you presented ZERO proofs. All speculations.

51 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

How is Sunday in Japan going to be higher than Saturday? Does that happen usually in that market?

Yes, Sunday is usually higher than Saturday. Not always, but most of the time.

• Thanks 1

Just now, UserHN said:

Those are not proofs. Those are more accusations that needed proofs. And regarding your last sentence, have you never thought of double features? Anyway, you presented ZERO proofs. All speculations.

I'm sorry, those aren't proofs? You don't think that other Disney movies holding well, especially compared to other non-Disney movies each time a Disney film drops isn't just the tiny bit suspicious. And wouldn't you know it, I am thinking about double features, because that's what Disney does and what I was talking about in the first place. They are using another movie to prop up and give money to another film. Why exactly is a hypothetical Endgame/TLK double feature (although I doubt that will happen) any different from "Lion King money being relocated to Endgame"?

• Like 3