Eric the Fall Guy

Weekend Thread: Actuals - TS4 59.7, Annabelle 20.3 (31.1 5-Day), Yesterday 17, Aladdin 10.1, Pets 7.3, MIB 6.7, Endgame 6.1

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

I'm sorry, those aren't proofs? You don't think that other Disney movies holding well, especially compared to other non-Disney movies each time a Disney film drops isn't just the tiny bit suspicious. And wouldn't you know it, I am thinking about double features, because that's what Disney does and what I was talking about in the first place. They are using another movie to prop up and give money to another film. Why exactly is a hypothetical Endgame/TLK double feature (although I doubt that will happen) any different from "Lion King money being relocated to Endgame"?

I think you have a misunderstanding of double features. You think they subtract revenues from the newly opened movie and add it to the other movie? Wow. I'm speechless.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

...umm...no?

That is exactly what you're accusing Disney of. Here's your own quote:

Why exactly is a hypothetical Endgame/TLK double feature (although I doubt that will happen) any different from "Lion King money being relocated to Endgame"?

'Relocated' means being transferred. So you're accusing Disney of transferring revenues from one film to the other.

6 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Shame that Yesterday couldn't even hit 20M.  You'd think a movie with an appealing premise like that would be able to do well without many other adult-targeted movies in the marketplace (only other one is Rocketman, which came out a month ago).  Hopefully it has great legs.

It was tracking for a $10M opening headed into the weekend. I'd say a $16-17M opening is a big win, especially given this summer.

• Thanks 1

Just now, UserHN said:

Why exactly is a hypothetical Endgame/TLK double feature (although I doubt that will happen) any different from "Lion King money being relocated to Endgame"?

'Relocated' means being transferred. So you're accusing Disney of transferring revenues from one film to the other.

Okay, relocated was the wrong word to use. How about "propping up money to Endgame?" There. Fixed. Doesn't change Panda's point.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 2

EVERY studio does this with double features. 

See Rampage when JW:FK opened

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=newlinetentpole2018.htm

It also made $1.2m more after they stopped reporting numbers - most likely courtesy of double features with The Meg

Endgame so far has yet to benefit from double features for anything.  Other films though have benefited from it.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

For the record, I've got nothing against double features or Disney doing them. Every studio does that, and it's really not that harmful in the grand scheme of things. But to all of y'all throwing a hissy fit over Panda's post, you need to chill.

• Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Okay, relocated was the wrong word to use. How about "propping up money to Endgame?" There. Fixed. Doesn't change Panda's point.

Then that completely changes everything. Because I don't consider double features as fraud. It's just using a newly released film to prop up the revenue of an older film. There's no magic accounting involved. It's not like they are making up numbers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

EG isn't really a natural double-feature pair with TLK anyway so its probably not gonna happen. Aladdin is the most obvious double-feature pair with The Lion King since they are both Renaissance remakes and literally have the exact same audience demo. If not Aladdin, then Toy Story 4 also pairs better with TLK.

EG would naturally pair best with FFH, but I'm not sure how that works since FFH is under Sony.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tawasal said:

could the 4th one do 200m?

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

I see no reason why not. I can't wait to see it. Liked JW3 the best this far. Bit gruesome but awesome still

Fingers crossed JW4 increases to over $200M domestic! With they way the story is set up to continue,  4 can only get bigger and better than 3. And as long as they follow the same formula as the first 3 JW movies, I don't see them failing with JW4.

P.s. I just realized the continental doctor was the same guy who played the key maker in Matrix Reloaded! Now they really have to bring in Carrie Ann-Moss for Wick 4! I need my holy trinity back together!😍

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWwhA9iQ4MTWoT_OM-CGx

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I didn't follow tracking, but this seems to be more Universal's fault.  If they gave this a bigger push, I see no reason why it wouldn't be a big hit.

I mean, they pushed it the best they could considering the reviews weren't that great and the cast had little starpower. In a summer where well-reviewed comedies like Long Shot and Booksmart have flailed at the box office and have had even the industry worried that smaller movies are about to become extinct from theaters, you gotta be grateful for the small miracles.

1 hour ago, UserHN said:

Do you have a proof for this? This accusation is really serious. Anyone making this should have solid proofs.

Butthurt butthurt every where.... He already dislikes Disney. I don't under stand his logic, he said they did it for Wrinkle in time but MCU has huge fanbase and they turn up every time. Fans will ensure it gets the record

Edited by Nero

12 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

EVERY studio does this with double features. 

See Rampage when JW:FK opened

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=newlinetentpole2018.htm

It also made $1.2m more after they stopped reporting numbers - most likely courtesy of double features with The Meg

Endgame so far has yet to benefit from double features for anything.  Other films though have benefited from it.

People have a weird obsession with Disney. 

What they do is bully theaters, though. But any studio would do that too if they were in Disney position and theaters can't say shit because it's basically keeping them alive (it'll be interesting if theaters will hold a grudge when Disney starts to fall)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, UserHN said:

It is standard practice in the domestic market for double features, when two films are playing together the total gross is added to both films, hence the solid hold. I believe numerous members including Charlie have explained this in the past. Disney is simply following standard business practice. 

In most cases, Toy Story 4 and Aladdin played together when it came to double features (mostly drive ins) last weekend. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

What do reviews have to do with a movie like this doing well?  The Greatest Showman and Mamma Mia! are two great comparisons - movies with mediocre reviews that are music-based that still did well.  As for starpower, I don't think that matters much.  The main selling point of the movie was The Beatles from the start.  It's not out of the question for Yesterday to have great legs, I just think it should've had a much better opening.

Well tbf, the Greatest Showman didn't open well.

Mamma Mia is a very well known musical, and I would argue starpower does matter when you got Meryl Streep doing a musical.