baumer

Spider-man Far From Home (2019)

Grade it  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Better and worse than the Homecoming.

Loved anything and everything Mysterio. I even loved that huge exposition dump after the Mysterio reveal - they knew there was no way to add all that information naturally, so they just rammed up the ham and let Gyllenhaal be a full-on diva. Speaking of which, I really appreciated how Beck was a huge attention seeker throwing his toys out of the pram - no overwrought family drama or lost loved ones, just perfectly pitched camp. The big illusion set piece was glorious - like a 60s Spidey comic brought to life. Unfortunately, it kind of kills the last act - it wants to have its cake and eat it by having the fun illusion stuff but also the really dull drone stuff, which went on and on. I loved Giacchino's self-important theme for him as well.

Zendaya is tons of fun, too. She and Holland have great chemistry.

But the EDITH Maguffin was crazy forced, and that Brad subplot should have been completely ditched. The guy who plays Ned has great comic timing, but the Betty thing fell flat. Aunt May still being nothing more than 'Hot Aunt May' is gross. Favreau is annoying in these movies. 

I think the strength of Gyllenhaal's Mysterio carries it barely into third place on the live-action Spidey rankings.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Reposting from the Spoiler thread. 

17 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

Argh, okay, so, let's do this.

MVP:

• "My wife fake Blipped.  We had a funeral and everything."  OKAY.  HOLD UP.  Absolutely the funniest line in the movie. Forget the stupid vacation.  I want THAT story.  Are we getting a Disney+ series about her? Tell me more, tell me more.
  • EIDITH standing for "Even In Death I'm The Hero" is PEAK Tony Stark Nonsense.  Laughed SUPER hard at that.
  • JK SIMMONS AT JONAH.  JONAH AS ALEX JONES.  I WAS LIIIIIIIIVING.  IT WAS EEEEEVERYTHIIIIIING.
  • TALOS AS NICK THE WHOLE TIME. This actually made tons of sense.  There were a couple of scenes when I was wondering if the screenwriters had never seen The Winter Soldier or Captain Marvel, cause this board strokes angry Joss Whedon Nick Fury was so disorientating after his amazing character journey with Carol.
  • "DON'T EVOKE HER NAME"

Pros:

• Everything after the villain reveal.
  • They brought the CHRISTMAS STORY KID back.
  • It was a team of disgruntled Stark employees.  I was 100% on their side until they started to kill kids.  
  • Quinton preaching the truth about Tony Stark being a douchebag.
  • The AMAZING illusion fight sequence.  Gorgeous.  Just gorgeous.

Cons:

• The first half is soooooooooooo slow.  Beck was CLEARLY THE BAD GUY and it just felt like we were taking FOREVER to get there.  I don't care about their cute summer vacation.  I fundamentally can not bring myself to care about Tony Stark.  Everyone was like "waaaaah Tony's dead" and I'm like "Nat and Steve are dead too.  Where the hell are their memorials?"  None of that landed with me. 
  • Not enough Aunt May.

Overall, crowd-pleasing outing. I know I have singular tastes when it comes to Tony.  My crowd seemed way more into the endless callback and tributes than me.  It's also nice to have a self-contended story from the MCU.  Can't wait for Spider-Man 3.  That feels BIG.  I'd probably rank FFH around the Homecoming / Thor / IM2 range, so right in the middle / top of the bottom.

• Like 1

If you have not seen Captain Mavel the end credits scene will make little sense, out of the end credits of Marvel films so far I can see that one being the most confusing. (Well for Endgame people thought that it was going to be like how you had too see Black Panther in order to get some of IW, which was not the case with Endgame-you didn't have to see Captain Marvel, but for the end credits of this film...)

Anyway I enjoyed this film, though I do wish some classic Spidey could come back-which Sony kind of ruined by deciding to reboot it too soon (I told people it was too soon but nobody listened! I still enjoy TASM and am still upset about unanswered questions but that is another story)

I have no clue where to rank this among MCU films.

(They have yet to announce the next film! How the heck is a Black Widow film going to work??? Okay sorry that is another story)

Tasked with following up an exceedingly enjoyable reboot in Homecoming and a beloved pop culture behemoth in Avengers: Endgame (not to mention inviting comparison to Into the Spider-Verse, even if it’s out of continuity), Spider-Man: Far from Home lands as a highly entertaining popcorn flick – even if it doesn’t quite reach the heights of its forebears. As the first MCU entry released in the wake of Endgame and its game-changing developments, this Spider-Man faces the tough task of advancing a fun story of its own while also placing itself within the larger context of the MCU’s new normal. In each of those aspects, Far from Home succeeds: it recaptures much of the humor and heart that made Homecoming such a delight, and wrings effective drama from Peter’s pressure to step into a leadership role and comedy from the existential predicament many of its characters faced after the conclusion of Endgame. Though the stakes are fairly low, the film zips along and gets plenty of entertainment value out of its well-executed action sequences and character interactions alike. Once again, Tom Holland makes the most of spot-on casting in the title role. Holland’s sheer joy at being Spider-Man remains as fun to watch as it was in the previous film and his Avengers appearances, and he nails down levels of spunk and likability that continue to allow him to stand out from the good but radically different performances Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield gave in the past continuities of this franchise; within this film, there’s really a sense that Holland has made this character his own in ways that neither of his predecessors did. He also shares some legitimately cute chemistry with Zendaya, who once again does witty work in a genre-savvy turn that puts a spin on the standard love interest role. Comic book fans will undoubtedly know where the Mysterio storyline is headed from the very start, but Jake Gyllenhaal is fun to watch every step of the way in this role; he succeeds in crafting a mysterious aura around his character for the first part of the film and goes off in some inspired directions after the script begins to peel back his layers. Overall, Far from Home falls a bit short of the charm its predecessor had, but it’s a thoroughly entertaining diversion that has me excited to see what’s in store next for the titular webslinger (see what I did there?). 

B+

Stray Thoughts:

- Obligatory Franchise Ranking: 1.) Spider-Man 2 (my love for it circa 2004-2005 is largely responsible for my handle at BOM that I've used ever since); 2.) Into the Spider-Verse; 3.) Homecoming; 4.) Spider-Man; 5.) Far from Home; 6.) Spider-Man 3 (I actually like this one more than most); 7.) Amazing Spider-Man; 8.) Amazing Spider-Man 2.

- I knew Mysterio was a villain and I figured Jake Gyllenhaal wouldn't have been cast in the role otherwise, but I still enjoyed the hell out of the big reveal and Gyllenhaal's shift from aloof otherworldliness to full-on CHEW ALL THE SCENERY Mode.

- I loved the illusion fight in Berlin. It's a more exciting and visually and aurally dynamic sequence than anything on display in the previous film.

Edited by Webslinger

Okay, girl... We're still gonna need more scenes of MJ with the mace... 

tumblr_inline_o9cqk0eCPj1r2ya1z_500.gif

Cons:

I'ma need MJ to get that red hair dye sis, nd I mean SOON!! It's not all that important, but still. Miss Daya rocked it during the interviews. 

200.gif

The first half of the movie was admittedly ass, and very poorly edited. All those quick ass jump-cuts, never letting anything have room to breathe. Many of the early jokes (that were hilarious in the trailers) fall flat in the actual movie due to this. 

BUT!

Pros:

Thank God the last half of this movie pulled through! Turned out to be a really spectacular experience. After Mysterio reveals himself to be faking it, that's when the movie actually starts to get good. He's really a very amazing, complex, and unique kind of villain. Almost sad that they killed him off in this. Anyway, all of Jake's scenes (post-mal-intention reveal) are fucking outstanding.

The Mysterio hallucinations that Peter went through were some of the best scenes I've ever seen in an MCU movie. Holy shit. 

Blaming Pete for Iron Man's death.... Mysterio, girl, WE-

giphy.gif

AND THEN having a Zombie-Tony come out of the grave nd come for him!!!! CAN YOU BITCHES SPELL "TRAUMATIZED"

tumblr_inline_ogs7kiUT3d1r1vg2t_500.gif

But omg, the score isn't bad!! Okay, Ms. Giachinno ! He ain't come to play this time around! 

Also, gratuitous shirtless scene... +3

tumblr_inline_o6tc6a65K31qe2900_500.gif

The kiss scenes between Spidey nd MJ (finally) were v cute too. Bitch, aww.

"My wife fake blipped." A tragedy. Truly. 

tumblr_inline_ohft185zO01r086fu_500.gif

I love how May shut that shit down with Happy. Girl, whew. Idk lmfao it was just weird to imagine Happy nd Aunt May... as a couple... 

tumblr_olssffbhcn1w3twizo1_250.gif

And as for that credits scene! BITCH THE OG J JONAH JAMESON BEING THE MCU'S J JONAH JAMESON, I AM LIVIDDDDD!!! AN ICON !!!!!!!

tumblr_inline_o74x1dmI8Z1r0c0be_500.gif

ND THEN MYSTERIO FULL ASS NOT ONLY MAKING SPIDER-MAN THE "BAD GUY" BUT SAYING HIS REAL NAME AND PUTTING A WHOLE ASS PICTURE OF HIS FACE OUT LIKE

tumblr_inline_oo1l22lRWm1rykhoe_500.gif

I KNOW U FUCKIN LYIN! HOW ARE Y'ALL GONE END FFH ON A CLIFFHANGER EVEN BIGGER THAN INFINITY WAR'S KNOWING FULL MF WELL THAT WE'RE GONNA HAVE TO WAIT AT LEAST 2/3 YEARS FOR THE NEXT ONE TO COME OUT !!!!!

tumblr_inline_o3phx7Hulf1r92e1w_500.gif

Overall, it's better than Homecoming. Way better. But the first half is still very much ass. Loved the villain, he was so unique and it gave way to some very immersive scenes. Mysterio is like a "spectacle" villain. Like if his powers weren't a facade, he could deadass be a Doctor Strange type of villain. 

Anyway, I like how they put the whole "Earth 616" thing in the movie, but then they ultimately dumped it when it was revealed that Beck was really just from Earth. Foreshadowing, maybe? Ion think so. Anywho, if anything this made me look hella forward to Doctor Strange 2. We need a lil more magic in the MCU.

(82/100) B-

Edited by angeldelmito
  • Like 1

I slightly preferred this over Homecoming. It's a bigger, more exciting sequel that continues to develop the character while also setting the stage for where the MCU post-Endgame is headed. My only disappointment is that we'll have to wait another 2-3 years to see the effects of the end credits scenes (great cameo in the first one). Tom Holland has become the definitive Peter Parker/Spider-Man in my books, playing the role with the right level of earnestness and innocence. He also has fun chemistry with Zendaya, who continues to impress in everything. MVP though is Jake Gyllenhaal, who is clearly having the time of his life chewing on the scenery in a performance that is destined to become a gif giving tree. Still think the two Sam Raimi movies from the early 2000s remain unsurpassed and it feels a bit routine after Into the Spider-Verse has rewritten the rules of what of a Spider-Man movie is capable of, but those are small complaints for what is a very fun time overall. B+

• Like 2

On 7/3/2019 at 8:00 PM, ddddeeee said:

Loved anything and everything Mysterio. I even loved that huge exposition dump after the Mysterio reveal - they knew there was no way to add all that information naturally, so they just rammed up the ham and let Gyllenhaal be a full-on diva. Speaking of which, I really appreciated how Beck was a huge attention seeker throwing his toys out of the pram - no overwrought family drama or lost loved ones, just perfectly pitched camp. The big illusion set piece was glorious - like a 60s Spidey comic brought to life. Unfortunately, it kind of kills the last act - it wants to have its cake and eat it by having the fun illusion stuff but also the really dull drone stuff, which went on and on. I loved Giacchino's self-important theme for him as well.

Gyllenhaal would have killed it in a Raimi-directed Mysterio movie. (And his theme is more epic than the official MCU Spider-Man theme indeed. Too bad, it was a red herring).

The attempt at meta-irony digs lampooning the MCU's derivative process through Mysterio's character is neat but once the illusion twist gets finally revealed it just back to the usual stale third act mush of CG it tries to subvert.

B-.

Edited by dashrendar44

Far From Home had , for me, a tough task of unpacking the traumatic events of Endgame while attempting to move on to a more ordinary (Day-in-the-Life) story for our friendly neighborhood hero. First my disbelief buttons are taxed to the max when its revealed that when half of the population was instantly dusted, somehow that equated to EVERYONE important to Parker somehow going with him?! What were the odds that 50% of the universe meant 100% for Peter? As Deadpool would say, "That's just lazy writing."

Even worse, every kid (or teacher) that had a funny moment in Homecoming suddenly is forced to become comic relief for the first half of this film. The teacher specifically on the field trip is reduced to a caricature of his Home Coming profile, as he suddenly possesses every social tick and character flaw imaginable. It's like the writers had nothing new to offer, so they just recycled old gags and gave them added life that at times felt very forced and more Lampoon-ish than charming. 

And therein lies the strain that seems to run throughout this film. There's real lack of logic, even when we're applying the rules of reason in this universe. Take the justification of the black Spider-man suit. Parker insists he can't wear his regular suit because somehow , everyone on his class will realize its him after the incident in Washington. Ooooookay. So why does he still LOOK like Spider-man and use the same weaponry as Spider-man if the suggestion was he had to LOOK like someone else? Was anyone really going to think Parker was Spider-man when they never gave that consideration in Washington? The end result just didn't stick with the explanation given. 

In terms of Mysterio, it was a long wait for his villainy reveal since it was abundantly clear the only people fooled by the illusions were the characters in the story. So there was no tension build for the plot twist. One big surprise is that once Mysterio became bad, he was excellent. I think Marvel delivered the goods in making him everything anyone could have hoped for. Those illusion battles were absolutely worth the price of admission and made up for an otherwise pedestrian script. 

Tom Holland was excellent as Peter and made the material better than what it actually was. Zendaya was charming as MJ and did not disappoint as that relationship advanced with Peter. Jacob Batalon was more annoying than fun as Ned Leeds. Favreau felt misplaced as Happy Hogan, but Jake Gyllenhaal chewed up the scenery with his performance as Mysterio. He too gave more weight to an otherwise unimaginative script. 

I give it a B for offering great battle sequences between Mysterio and Spider-man, but throwing away a charming cast that mostly had B-grade material to wrestle with. The two credit sequences are fun but nothing earth shattering that wasn't either long overdue or evident after Captain Marvel. 

Edited by Eastwood47

as someone who wasn't a big fan of SMH, I had a lot of fun with this one. Gyllenhall killed it as Mysterio and is easily one of the best villains in the MCU and the best villain in a Spider-Man film since Doc Ock. The direction and action scenes are much better and more assured than the more TV movie aspect of the first. Still a bit too much humor for my liking and I don't care too much for Peter's friends though I liked them more in this one but yeah unlike SMH, I want to see this again

Edited by John Marston

I give out a lot of B  scores when I like a film. to get an A is much harder. this film got the A as I was completely immersed.  I watched this film in wo ways, as a stand alone Sony Spiderman sequel, and as a finishing phase 3 Marvel film. This film did more to tease phase 4 than Endgame did, imho. but I might be missing things that are a part of comic lore and such. 

As a spidey film, there were a few minor problems. the comic banter between happy and peter was more miss than hit, but comedy in an action film is always like that. GOTG got it right but they were aliens that had alien relationships. here we have people. that whole plane blows up/ new plan to escape scene from the trailer turned me off a bit, and I was glad there wasn't much of that lame joke level. 

I've since watched a few youtube vids that explain all the easter eggs in this film and make solid predictions for what is coming next in phase 4. I am hoping Marvel can sustain momentum as it diverges into new territory. Hoping new heros and storylines will be like GOTG. something everyone hooks onto and continues to follow as much as cap a and spidy.  

It was enjoyable enough. I put it a little bit above Homecoming but not by much. Holland was great and Jake G hammed it up real good. Visuals and action for Mysterios powers were the best part.  Rest of the action wasn't very interesting but still a step up from Homecoming. Actually liked the awkward romance between Peter and MJ. Sort of works for this version of Spidey. Zendaya was written and integrated much better in this.

The rest of the plot with the class trip just dragged the movie down way too much. The first was so slow and made worse because the plot twist with Mysterio is so predictable. A lot of the humor was hit and miss. Also glad we are moving on from the Ironman Jr plot-line after this (hopefully).

Nice to see J.K Simmons as JJJ whether its permanent or just a cameo.

Overall I'd give it a 7/10 (B-). Worth checking out for Jake G as Mysterio.

Interested to see where they go with the identity reveal. But it seems like they can just waive that away since Beck was exposed and his main power is manipulation.

Edited by EarlyDeadlinePredictions

My favorite part of the movie was when all of the high schoolers were in Italy just having a good time with their vacation, and I could tell that the scene was filmed slightly differently--maybe with a different camera, or maybe with natural light. I appreciated that risk.

And the Mysterio stuff was cool, too.

Could someone explain something to me?

I liked this enough, but "that" scene, with the crazy colours and mental confusion when they're fighting in the SHIELD hq.

Why could Mysterio manipulate everything so easily? We've seen with Mysterio planning the funfair demon, it takes many hours of meticulous planning and designing the scene in order for his drone displays to be convincing.

But when Spiderman and Mysterio are fighting, it seems like Mysterio can just mentally click his fingers and Spidermans world goes crazy. He can do it spontaneously and think up whatever he likes and the drones instantly display it.

the scene really took me out of the film as I was really confused how can this happen?

On 7/26/2019 at 5:19 AM, SLAM! said:

My favorite part of the movie was when all of the high schoolers were in Italy just having a good time with their vacation, and I could tell that the scene was filmed slightly differently--maybe with a different camera, or maybe with natural light. I appreciated that risk.

And the Mysterio stuff was cool, too.

That looked great. Daytime in Venice or wherever they were, looked fantastic. Shame the rest of it is Marvel Studios Formula.

That's one thing i would love to see in future MCU movies, letting them have distinct visual style. All the marvel films look the same currently. Now that Endgame has exploded, I really hope the cat's out of the bag in terms of allowing films to stray from the formula.

• Like 1