sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Spider-Man FFH $45.35M | Toy Story 4 $20.95M | CRAWL $12.01M | STUBER $8.23M | Yesterday $6.70M | Aladdin 6.17M

50 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Has she ever exchanged one line of dialogue with Stan?   Might as well ask her if she remembers Terrorist #14 in IM1. :rock:

They never interacted on screen. His biggest roles were in the movies she wasn’t in.

Mortdecai's impact. These MCU cameos have been her only acting credits since that bomb I believe.

You’re giving that movie too much credit. She was already quasi-retired at that point.

Edited by MaxWilder
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, thedast said:

I'm black as well. Not American, though, so maybe I can't relate because I know there are enough African historical tales that fighting to be cast in a historically white one feels weird. I've been back and forth on this issue. I personally only believe roles should limited on race (like say painting someone black, which is stupid or man taking an obvious woman's role in say, a biopic). Everything else feels like fair game. It's acting. If everyone matched up on every characteristic for a character, then where's the fun in that? Instead, work on getting more out gay, trans, minority actors into diverse roles. Let them play straight, or bi or non-stereotypes. 

The race-bending of popular characters has never done much for me, because it's not giving minority actors their own stories, it's just allowing them to remix beloved ones e.g MCU Spider-man is towing the line with MJ. They should have just called her something else and kept everything else the same. Let her be her own character the same way Miles Morales is.  Black Panther is an amazing example of giving fantasy work to black actors and letting them form their own artistic legacies with their own stories that celebrates their ancestory. Disney spending 60 years pushing 90% white heroines and then instead of creating new ones based on African/American folktales, just recasting a black one to tell some dead white man's story is lazy. You're championing diversity? Prove it. Give me more Moanas, Mulans, Shuris.

If you want to do an African-based 'mermaid' story, there's plenty of mythology there, most popularly 'Mami Water', which is a spirit/witch believed to kidnap people and drag them into the water in many African tribes. https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Mami_Wata. If you want to talk about Gods of Thunder and Lightning, there's Sango. https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Shango. And that's just the most popular of hundreds of African gods. If you want to talk real historical figures, female war heroines like Mulan, there's the Hausa woman, Amina of Zazzau https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Amina. There are tons of sources and scholars who you could talk to for new, refreshing tales. Look at how much people went out to see Black Panther. There's clearly a market there for more non-European stories but why do more of that when you can just take what was already successful and slap a black actor in one of the roles for the extra sentimental dollars I guess. 

The problem with this view is that a studio is far less likely to spend 100+ million on a new/unknown property. Adapting stories with popular/existing characters will always be the preferred route but since the overwhelming majority of said characters are white, you aren't going to get much diversity. Thus, racebending becomes one solution. I'm all for creating new characters or adapting existing stories featuring people of color but this isn't an either/or situation. Both can and should be options. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

The problem with this view is that a studio is far less likely to spend 100+ million on a new/unknown property. Adapting stories with popular/existing characters will always be the preferred route but since the overwhelming majority of said characters are white, you aren't going to get much diversity. Thus, racebending becomes one solution. I'm all for creating new characters or adapting existing stories featuring people of color but this isn't an either/or situation. Both can and should be options. 

Also, we are dealing with the fantasy genre.  If someone can suspend their disbelief about a talking mermaid singing and dancing under the sea, but her being black is suddenly a bridge too far, that’s their own issue to work through.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I do not remember any such outrage last year (or was it the year before?) when 2 non gay people played the characters in Call me by your name. No one, including those who are calling out Scarjo right now, said fuck all about that. Most were too busy foaming at the mouth praising it to high heaven. Everyone was busy praising Love Simon (one of my fav movie from last year) but I dont remember this level of controversy despite a straight Nick Robinson playing the titular gay character. 

I also do not remember this level of controversy when Eddie Redmayne played a trans character and got a bleeding oscar nom for it. No one bats an eye when a non jewish actor plays Magneto whose entire identity revolves around Jewish persecution during Holocaust. 

Many many such cases like these can be mentioned. So why the outcry over this? Is it because she’s a women? We all want a perfect world where a role is portrayed by the an actor of the same caste/religion/race/gender/whatever and then realize that thats not a perfect world. A perfect world is where all races/religions/sex/gender/etc all have equal opportunity and can play whatever role because they’re freaking actors and thats what they’re supposed to do. 

But until then can we be a little less hypocritical in our outrage?

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

After seeing Spidey last night I am totally on board with it being as big as it can be. Totally awesome film, easy to see why the audience score is high. 

Best Spider-Man of all time and #1 film of the multiverse :ohmygod:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 3