sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Spider-Man FFH $45.35M | Toy Story 4 $20.95M | CRAWL $12.01M | STUBER $8.23M | Yesterday $6.70M | Aladdin 6.17M

ScarJo has two big Oscar films this year and is starring in the biggest film of next summer, and that's before the obvious fact of her being a big part of the second biggest film of all time. She could make dumb statements all she wants, as long as she doesn't have a Cruse-on-Oprah level disaster she'll be fine.

• Like 2

What I understand she said: it’s not okay what happened in the past but we are not going to fix it by only hiring minorities for all major roles (the pendulum swing). And I think that’s correct. She is not saying that it (prevalence of minority actors) is happening right now nor that they shouldn’t get all the roles they deserve.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Zatt Hawkguy Murdock said:

I will cross post what I said on a different board, and hold up, this is going to be a long one. Credits to @Durden, for sharing the tweet that gave me access to the actual interview.

It goes without saying that what she said is tone deaf and that we have the right to be royally pissed off, especially due to her past casting choices. With that said, Vulture also did a real poor job with this article. Why? Vulture never linked to the actual interview that Scarlett gave to the painter / artist David Salle for AS IF Magazine, only linking to the Daily Mail as the source of the interview.

It’s still bad, but I do think that it was somewhat taken out of context:

https://www.asifmag.com/story/scarlett-johansson-david-salle-collaboration-with-as-if-magazine

Here is the tweet that brought this to my attention:

Yes, it’s obviously a fan account, but it does raise a good question: Vulture, via Daily Mail, seems to have ignored some of the nuances of the conversation, mainly this bit:

It’s still bad, tone deaf and entitled, but the full conversation seems way more complex than Vulture and Daily Mail made it sound.

Long story short: We need to do better than the Daily fucking Mail as source, and Scarlett still needs to get her shit together, but it’s more nuanced than what is currently been reported.

There is really very little complexity or nuance here. Seems like she's just trying to avoid sounding like a complete idiot or racist while obviously still resenting the fact that she was called out for taking a role she shouldn't have. In other words, she hasn't learned a thing. 

The idea that there is "a lot political correctness" in art now because a few more people of color are getting roles or because she can't get away with playing whomever she wants is laughable. I was indifferent to her before but now that she has put her ignorance on display, it's pretty obvious that she deserves all the criticism she gets. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

There is really very little complexity or nuance here. Seems like she's just trying to avoid sounding like a complete idiot or racist while obviously still resenting the fact that she was called out for taking a role she shouldn't have. In other words, she hasn't learned a thing. 

The idea that there is "a lot political correctness" in art now because a few more people of color are getting roles or because she can't get away with playing whomever she wants is laughable. I was indifferent to her before but now that she has put her ignorance on display, it's pretty obvious that she deserves all the criticism she gets. 

What she said is correct though. Who fucking cares if Halle Bailey is Ariel or Scarlet is Major, neither of those characters needs to be a specific race. Not like they’re biopics that needs to accurate. In Japan the 2017 movie was popular they liked her in it and no one was offended, only some PC people in America seemed to care.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Sindreee said:

What she said is correct though. Who fucking cares if Halle Bailey is Ariel or Scarlet is Major, neither of those characters needs to be a specific race. Not like they’re biopics that needs to accurate. In Japan the 2017 movie was popular they liked her in it and no one was offended, only some PC people in America seemed to care.

She’s also going to be in a film where Taika (a Jewish/Maori Guy) is playing Hitler. I agree with a lot of what she is saying, as long as race doesn’t play a huge part in who the character is then it should be open to however best suits the part. 

13 minutes ago, Sindreee said:

Who cares if one of the few roles in Hollywood that could go to a Japanese actress is given to a famous white actress because apparently, her name/face/whiteness would sell the movie better? (Oh the irony.) Hardly the same as Ariel's casting and it's a shame some still can't see that. 

42 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Wholeheartedly agree. I was just trying to point out that regardless how tone deaf her points are, at very least she seems conscious that there are social reasons why things like she playing Mokoto in Ghost in the Shell was seem as a bad call. I do think that the whole interview gives more depth to what she is saying and her interviewer, despite not agreeing with them.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Saturday

SM:FFH 18.15

TS4 8.25

Crawl 4.2

Stuber 2.9

Yday 2.8

Aladdin 2.4

ACH 2.1

EG 735

Excellent numbers for Far From Home and Endgame.

0.471 Fri, 0.735 Sat puts on the path of a $1.7m weekend, excellent hold compared with last weekend’s $3.1m, for a 45,1% drop. Looking forward for the shitstorm when the OS estimates come later today.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Just watched Gwyneth Paltrow on Graham Norton. 

Tom Holland was asking her about Pepper, and she hasn’t seen Endgame and couldn’t even remember what the film was called 😂

Link? :hahaha:

9 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Just watched Gwyneth Paltrow on Graham Norton. 

Tom Holland was asking her about Pepper, and she hasn’t seen Endgame and couldn’t even remember what the film was called 😂

She was at the premiere so she couldn't even be bothered to stay and watch it .   Also, doesn't remember working with Tom and doesn't remember she was in SM:HC. :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1