sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Spider-Man FFH $45.35M | Toy Story 4 $20.95M | CRAWL $12.01M | STUBER $8.23M | Yesterday $6.70M | Aladdin 6.17M

From Deadline:

The arachnomania continues as Sony/Marvel’s Spider-Man: Far From Home captured another $100M from the international box office this weekend, lifting the offshore cume to $572.5M. That sends the Tom Holland-starrer sailing past 2007’s Spider-Man 3 to become the top offshore grosser of the franchise. With $847M through Sunday globally, FFH is within slinging distance of both Spider-Man 3 ($891M unadjusted final) and Spider-Man: Homecoming ($880.2M).

Overseas, FFH, which began rollout in China on June 28, is tracking ahead of both Captain Marvel (+10%) and Homecoming (+44%) in like-for-like markets and at today’s rates. Italy, the last market to swing in, stuck a terrific landing with $6.1M, to best both Homecoming (+75%) and fellow Avenger Captain Marvel (+11%).

Pixar’s Toy Story 4 has topped $770M worldwide and blasted off in Japan this session with $15.3M, the best start ever for Disney Animation/Pixar. With $4.6M in Hong Kong, TS4 posted the highest animated opening of all time from any studio. Latin America is still digging Forky with TS4 now the biggest animated release in the region, the No. 1 industry release ever in Argentina and the No. 2 highest in Mexico, behind only Avengers: Endgame (whose global gross this weekend lifted to $2,780.8M).

Plus, insane holds for Aladdin 

And, cruising along on its very magic carpet, Aladdin has now topped $960M globally with a mere 16% drop overseas this session, including jumps in Germany, Korea and Australia. With these kinds of holds, a $1B finish could be close, although Lion King looms next weekend.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

Paramount should have just dumped Dora this weekend and put Crawl in Dora's spot. I mean, Dora would make the same regardless of when it was placed and Crawl has much better potential for breakout.

Nah, TLK would murder Dora's legs.  In August it should have a bit of room to run a bit.  

Crawl would probably have benefited too but it's more a victim of Horror over-saturation.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

So... is Scarlett right? Should she be able to play whomever she wants in this less than equal or perfect world? Is the criticism not valid because there wasn't an outcry against something similar?

Sorry but to suggest she shouldn't be called out or that there is sexism at play because those other actors over there weren't criticized is a mighty weak argument. 

You should again read carefully what I wrote fully because you clearly didnt get the point coz none of what you are insinuating about my post is correct. 

Besides I dont care enough about this scarjo issue to take it further, not at least in this thread which we are derailing. I said what I wanted to. 

• Like 3

Just now, LawrenceBrolivier said:

That was supposed to be Stuber.

People didn't want to watch the 21st century version of 48 Hrs w/ Drax & the dude from Silicon Valley. Probably figured they could "wait for netflix" because it wasn't blockbuster-y enough....

Audiences this weekend:

🤢.....thank you for your consideration...🤮 #idratherseegoodfilms

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Thing is Scarlet Johansson actually was going to take a role in a biopic that she really shouldn't have.

Yeah, I'm like 90% sure all this is more in response to the Rub & Tug debacle than it is to Ghost in the Shell.

Edited by cookie

Midsommar continues to have the worst PTA in Top 10 and is even beaten by pathetic enough MIB PTA. :hahaha:That Crawl opened in its OW range without all the shilling Midsommar received is hilarious twist. Even Asteroids passed on that one.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 2

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Nah, TLK would murder Dora's legs.  In August it should have a bit of room to run a bit.  

Crawl would probably have benefited too but it's more a victim of Horror over-saturation.

I honestly don't see there being enough appeal for it to leg out (I think families will just rewatch The Lion King instead of go watch Dora) but August is great month. I don't really mind. Crawl releasing now means that that there is less chance for It 2 to be hurt by horror fatigue.

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

I honestly don't see there being enough appeal for it to leg out (I think families will just rewatch The Lion King instead of go watch Dora) but August is great month. I don't really mind. Crawl releasing now means that that there is less chance for It 2 to be hurt by horror fatigue.

It 2 will be hurt by MICKEY'S LAW.

solid hold for FFH. Not a great hold given how weak the box office was this weekend. It got to keep all its theaters, got to keep PLF and IMAX and had 2 newcomers that could fall under 20M combined with actuals. Will fall off the pace of 400 by next weekend but should end between 385-390. SM and GOTG are going to hang right with each other. Great run for it overall.Tom Holland is my fav representative of Peter Parker, but Spiderverse is my fav Spider-man movie.

Another incredible hold for Aladdin. Will likely move past Yday next weekend (will also move past Stuber and it wouldn't shock me if it moves past Crawl). i think it will be back in the top 5 on Tuesday and will almost certainly be in the top 5 next weekend.

Good holds for Yday, SLOP2 and TS4. Yday should already be turning a profit for Uni. I expect SLOP2 and Yday to take hard hits against TLK.

TS4 looks like it should leg out to just over 400M.

Good hold for ACH, but its going to take a huge theater count hit next week.

AE will pass Avatar but it won't do it just with DOM. Charlie's chart for its DOM is overly aggressive. It assumes a linear decline and that is not what happens. Declines have inflection points where screen losses kill your BO. It is likely to lose at least 50% of its screens next week (it has the lowest PTA of the Top 13 so most theaters are likely to dump it to open up screens for TLK) so i'm expecting a 60-65% drop in its BO.

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Midsommar continues to have the worst PTA in Top 10 and is even beaten by pathetic enough MIB PTA. :hahaha:That Crawl opened in its OW range without all the shilling Midsommar received is hilarious twist. Even Asteroids passed on that one.

Image result for hereditary gif

23 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

She didn't say that though.  She said it's a trend in my business that needs to happen for various social reasons but that yes it does impact the art of acting where you pretend to be all kinds of things you're not.

It wasn't the most elegant or articulate turn of phrase but she wasn't doubling down on her mistakes the way Vulture claimed.   Criticism was warranted before in her acceptance of roles but it was disproportionate compared to other films and actors and Vulture cherry picking one phrase via the Daily Mail seems like more disproportionate piling on.

Completely aside from the point (and 100 percent off the topic of box office weekend) but a lot of what's caused 80 percent of fights like these on social media and youtube comes from places like variety and indiewire and slashfilm.... places with access to these actors and publicists.... never actually reaching out to anyone... for anything. No clarification. No explanations. 

Our media outlets act no different than message board posters now. There is no difference anymore. The same way you read a thing... kind of... and then rush to your favorite community.... and rewrite what you kind of read.... without clicking any links or doing any more reading.... that's what our media does now. Variety is quoting the Daily Mail and.... that's it. 

And the truth is we don't really care what the actual TRUTH of it is because the whole point of reading in the first place isn't to learn something.... its to create content. Whether its responses on a message board... like this one... or retweets or swipes or whatever. We're all here for reactions. To do the reacting and to get the reactions...

So in that spirit, LOL.... Scarlett can let that role go. There's a million other completely different people she can play. If she wants to get back to that Under the Skin kind of acclaim, she doesn't have to pretend to be transgender to do it. She has all the options in the world available to her... she doesn't NEED to have control of LITERALLY all the options. 

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I wouldn’t worry about Midsommar. Seems like an instant cult classic. 

The horror community is still buzzing about it. 

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I wouldn’t worry about Midsommar. Seems like an instant cult classic. 

The horror community is still buzzing about it. 

Nah, considering that Annabelle is beating its ass, horror "community" you are talking about is just Awards Watch Forum but they have a thing for movies and actors nobody else cares about so...

Edited by Valonqar

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Nah, considering that Annabelle is beating its ass, horror "community" you are talking about is just Awards Watch Forum but they have a thing for movies and actors nobody else cares about so...

No no I mean the actual horror community outside of BOT lol: bloody disgusting, twitter, shockwaves, Blumhouse podcasts, Facebook groups etc. 

Plus, there’s only about 3 horror fans left on this forum now 😂 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

No no I mean the actual horror community outside of BOT lol: bloody disgusting, twitter, shockwaves, Blumhouse podcasts, Facebook groups etc. 

Plus, there’s only about 3 horror fans left on this forum now 😂 

Yeah. This. I didn't even like Midsommar and this.

• Like 1