sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Spider-Man FFH $45.35M | Toy Story 4 $20.95M | CRAWL $12.01M | STUBER $8.23M | Yesterday $6.70M | Aladdin 6.17M

15 minutes ago, Zatt Hawkguy Murdock said:

Excellent numbers for Far From Home and Endgame.

0.471 Fri, 0.735 Sat puts on the path of a $1.7m weekend, excellent hold compared with last weekend’s $3.1m, for a 45,1% drop. Looking forward for the shitstorm when the OS estimates come later today.

After last weekend, I don't expect much 

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

She was at the premiere so she couldn't even be bothered to stay and watch it .   Also, doesn't remember working with Tom and doesn't remember she was in SM:HC. :rofl:

To be fair she may not know what scenes she shot are for what film :P

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Zatt Hawkguy Murdock said:

I will cross post what I said on a different board, and hold up, this is going to be a long one. Credits to @Durden, for sharing the tweet that gave me access to the actual interview.

It goes without saying that what she said is tone deaf and that we have the right to be royally pissed off, especially due to her past casting choices. With that said, Vulture also did a real poor job with this article. Why? Vulture never linked to the actual interview that Scarlett gave to the painter / artist David Salle for AS IF Magazine, only linking to the Daily Mail as the source of the interview.

It’s still bad, but I do think that it was somewhat taken out of context:

https://www.asifmag.com/story/scarlett-johansson-david-salle-collaboration-with-as-if-magazine

Here is the tweet that brought this to my attention:

Yes, it’s obviously a fan account, but it does raise a good question: Vulture, via Daily Mail, seems to have ignored some of the nuances of the conversation, mainly this bit:

It’s still bad, tone deaf and entitled, but the full conversation seems way more complex than Vulture and Daily Mail made it sound.

Long story short: We need to do better than the Daily fucking Mail as source, and Scarlett still needs to get her shit together, but it’s more nuanced than what is currently been reported.

So in a time in which white actresses can be nudged aside from playing long established white female characters for the sake of diversity, its Scarlet who is tone deaf for not wanting restrictions? When people rush to the defense of Disney casting a black actress for Little Mermaid are they not also asking the same thing by wanting to do away with any preconceived restrictions on who could play what? Or is the selective outrage limited to only white folks who want to benefit from some race-bended casting as well?

I'm African American and a progressive. I have been keeping up with the casting of black people in film and television for nearly 20 years. I even used to write articles at times for a black entertainment website. I say this only as a preemptive strike towards any who would dismiss my two cents by presuming I'm white or I'm a bigot or I'm hardcore right-wing or that I'm all of the above. I'm none of those things. I just can't abide by double standards. And I see such double standards when people cheer on Disney making a movie out of the old, popular novel A Wrinkle In Time and call anyone who question the casting for that film as racist or stuck in the past. When you point out to them how offended they may be if a white actor is chosen for a role meant for a person of color, like Scarlet in Ghost In the Shell, they claim that's different; they act as if appropriation, cultural or otherwise, can only be applied only if white people are doing it.

Last year I was upset to see left-leaning people practically stalk all of Naomi Scott's tweets and Instagram posts because they were upset about her casting as Jasmine in Aladdin. They insulted her and claimed she should walk away from the role because she wasn 't ethnically or racially right for the role in their minds. She was half Indian and thus didn't meet the standards in their eyes. Some even denied that part of her heritage and emphasized how she was white (she is half white). A year later we have people on my side of the political aisle stressing how the casting of a black Ariel doesn't matter because mermaids don't exist and the story was just a piece of fiction written by some European man. Well, Aladdin is also a piece of fiction based upon work by a European man that takes place in a kingdom that doesn't exist. So tell me why the different reactions by the left on social media for these two separate casting decisions? And why is it that the media is doing pushback against those complaining about the casting for Little Mermaid but conveniently remained unaware of all the vitriol that was directed Scott's way when she got the role in Aladdin? Apparently Scarlet Johansson isn't the only who is tone deaf.

We can't ever make up for all the lost time and lost chances of decades worth of Hollywood 's apartheid casting. All we can or should do is give everyone equal opportunities going forward. Equal opportunities means equal treatment too. Thinking it's okay for people of color to go after roles of established white characters because it makes up for past digressions while at the same time frowning on the idea of white people taking roles playing established non-white characters may be understandable. But it is still hypocritical.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

She was at the premiere so she couldn't even be bothered to stay and watch it .   Also, doesn't remember working with Tom and doesn't remember she was in SM:HC. :rofl:

I mean her company takes up most of her time these days. Probably quickly shot these cameos within less than an hour and bailed and forgot lmao. Too bad she seems to have pretty much abandoned acting the last few years aside from these MCU cameos and the occasional Ryan Murphy project (she's on his Netflix series The Politician premiering later this year).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Zatt Hawkguy Murdock said:

Link? :hahaha:

I live in the UK so watched it on TiVo, it’s the last episode of this most recent season.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I mean her company takes up most of her time these days. Probably quickly shot these cameos within less than an hour and bailed and forgot lmao. Too bad she seems to have pretty much abandoned acting the last few years aside from these MCU cameos and the occasional Ryan Murphy project (she's on his Netflix series The Politician premiering later this year).

Yeh plus she was on to talk about Goop so she kind of glazed over when he started asking her about Avengers. 

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I live in the UK so watched it on TiVo, it’s the last episode of this most recent season.

Yeh plus she was on to talk about Goop so she kind of glazed over when he started asking her about Avengers. 

I watched that episode. I find Tom Hanks really personable and quite funny. Same with Tom Holland. And any MCU questions to Gwyneth (be it here or in the Favreau Netflix show) seemed really awkward. It's like she doesn't care anymore. Lol

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

At least she remembers Tom, poor Sebastian Stan had to reintroduce himself to her three times  

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, AccidentalVisitor said:

Goes to show how much these comic book films are a blur to much of the acting community who populates them. It feels all the same.

Lolwhat. One historically self-absorbed person =/= much of the acting community.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, filmlover said:

She's said she's only continued to do MCU movies to work with RDJ.    She makes far more shilling  Goop products.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Waffles said:

At least she remembers Tom, poor Sebastian Stan had to reintroduce himself to her three times  

Something tells me she isn't the kind of actor who remembers everyone's name down to craft services.   Has she ever exchanged one line of dialogue with Stan?   Might as well ask her if she remembers Terrorist #14 in IM1. :rock:

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

She's said she's only continued to do MCU movies to work with RDJ.    She makes far more shilling  Goop products.

Mortdecai's impact. These MCU cameos have been her only acting credits since that bomb I believe.