TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

4 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

GOTG2 was a pretty big opening at the time. Thor opening to 146m won't be nearly as impressive. 

Yep. Just on ticket inflation and premier pricing, GOTG2's opening is about $175M today and its finish is about $450M...

• Like 1

Ragnarok opened with 122M. 150M is a perfectly great number for Love & Thunder. The hook is "another fun Thor adventure". Only big MCU events open above 150M.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Ragnarok opened with 122M. 150M is a perfectly great number for Love & Thunder. The hook is "another fun Thor adventure". Only big MCU events open above 150M.

Yeah, trying to poo poo it reminds me of morons on social media who’ve tried to argue The Batman was a commercial disappointment. Franchise Wars make people die on some strange hills.

38 minutes ago, CJohn said:

150m would be good bit based on tracking thread there is a possibility it could go under. Let’s wait and see 

2 minutes ago, RRA said:

Yeah, trying to poo poo it reminds me of morons on social media who’ve tried to argue The Batman was a commercial disappointment. Franchise Wars make people die on some strange hills.

But what if I am not inspired by 134m OW for Batman or 150m OW for Thor? Like, neither of those OWs are disastrous (and Batman in particular has some good excuses), but idk, I don't think they're very impressive either. 

• Like 2

I feel like people have swung over from over-predicting to under-predicting this.  People are too stuck on the Multiverse of Madness comp.  Its going to be more walk up heavy than DS2, and its going to have a better internal multi.  DS2 was more hyped, had mixed reception, and on top of that its Sunday has handicapped by it being Mother's day.  NWH was a mega-hyped holiday opener.  I don't think Love and Thunder is going to behave like those.

Yes, movies are more preview heavy post pandemic, but not that much.

JW TFK had a 9.67x, while Dominion got 8.06x

Venom got 8.03x, while Let There Be Carnage had 7.76x.

Fate of the Furious had a 9.5x, while F9 had a 9.86x.

150M would be fine, kinda meh, but not like, a disaster.  I think it'll do more, though.

Edited by IceFire9yt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, IceFire9yt said:

I feel like people have swung over from over-predicting to under-predicting this.  People are too stuck on the Multiverse of Madness comp.  Its going to be more walk up heavy than DS2, and its going to have a better internal multi.  DS2 was more hyped, had mixed reception, and on top of that its Sunday has handicapped by it being Mother's day.  NWH was a mega-hyped holiday opener.  Love and Thunder isn't going to behave like those.

Yes, movies are more preview heavy post pandemic, but not that much.

JW TFK had a 9.67x, while Dominion got 8.06x

Venom got 8.03x, while Let There Be Carnage had 7.76x.

Fate of the Furious had a 9.5x, while F9 had a 9.86x.

Thor 4 is opening in July with people out of school. Therefore it is automatically going to be more frontloaded with its previews/opening day 

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Thor 4 is opening in July with people out of school. Therefore it is automatically going to be more frontloaded with its previews/opening day 

Black Widow got a 6.09x this time of year, admittedly for a smaller opening, but with the VOD release kneecapping it.  I think that'd be a better starting point for expectations.

And for the NWH comparison, Christmas Break + 50M previews >>> Summer + 25ish.

Edited by IceFire9yt

In terms of pre-release buzz, MoM had the advantage of being the “sequel” to NWH, even though it really wasn’t. People were convinced the movie would be something it ultimately wasn’t, which I imagine contributed the word of mouth being as mixed as it was. This movie doesn’t have those kinds of expectations. It just needs to be fun. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Not more than DS2, there is absolutely no logic in this comparisson. 

Why a Thor movie would be more frontloaded than DS2 and close to NWH? July isn't enough to justify that.

5.5-5.6x previews is already very frontloaded, enough for an MCU movie in July, expecting worse than that is crazy to me.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Not more than DS2, there is absolutely no logic in this comparisson. 

Why a Thor movie would be more frontloaded than DS2 and close to NWH? July isn't enough to justify that.

5.5-5.6x previews is already very frontloaded, enough for an MCU movie in July, expecting worse than that is crazy to me.

Why wouldn’t a Thor movie be frontloaded? It’s a fourth movie in a franchise and will still will have fans rushing out to see it right? And July allows more casuals to go to an early  showing as well 

Edited by John Marston

4 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

The fact that reviews aren't out there yet is not a great sign.

You can basically read every critic’s reaction tweet at this point and know what they’re going to write. Literally like a hundred tweets are on previous pages lol 

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Why wouldn’t a Thor movie be frontloaded? It’s a fourth movie in a franchise and will still will have fans rushing out to see it right? And July allows more casuals to go to an early  showing as well 

Because despite being the fourth Thor movie, this is literally it, nothing more, no multiverse. I never said it won't be frontloaded, i actually just said 5.5x previews, this is frontloaded for any movie. I'm just trying to understand why you keep using DS2 and NWH as comparissons when people say it won't be frontloaded like these two since they're very different movies.

July isn't enough, sorry.

• Like 1

what does a review embargo have to do with spoilers?

if they can shut them up after the social media embargo I see no reason why they cant do that after reviews come out

Just now, interiorgatordecorator said:

what does a review embargo have to do with spoilers?

if they can shut them up after the social media embargo I see no reason why they cant do that after reviews come out

Variety spoiled Tobey and Andrew's appearance in NWH in like the 2nd paragraph of their review lol

• Like 1