TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

21 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I think we’ve seen now that directors doing their own thing without an IW/Endgame structure in place is likely a bad combination for the MCU. Phase 3 worked because they were given freedom to inject some of their own sensibilities but story wise they had to stick to the plan very closely lest they destroy the build up. NWH still had that corporate crossover stamp and was a huge crowd pleaser because of it. 

Phase 3 isn't comparable to Phase 4, though. Phase 3 was the final build-up to the finale and then payoff to universe sharing of previous phases. It was the end of an era. Phase 4 is what happened after the end of an era. That's tricky to navigate for several reasons:

new characters may not capture the zeitgeist like the old favorites 

old favorites may not have stories to tell but pressure is to keep going in case newbies falter

some % of the audience may lose interest because they want to see a story end and Endgame provided that

Disney + demand to churn out more content than realistically needed for MCU 

There's no doubt that significant part of Phase 4 disappointment comes from filler shows. They aren't delivering anything must-see but their number is growing and just hearing about yet another greenlit show starts to grate. Moreover, they are now trying to make D+ characters happen in movies which means pressure to watch those non-essential shows. For example, Kang is supposedly going to be an overarching villain, so you may feel obliged to watch Loki even though whatever happens there won't impact Quantumania in any way except that they have a shared villain. Likewise, I'm sure you won't have to learn about India and Pakistan partition to follow the Marvels even though they'll share Ms Marvel. Etc. It's starting to feel like an obligation rather than something people happily do. Phase 3 didn't have that. Surface-level universe sharing yes but no need to spend 6-10 hours on a TV show that doesn't amount to anything important in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by Valonqar

6 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Black Panther will be huge. Americans love the "r.i.p movies". 

see how the dark knight and furious 7 exploded 

I know here the dead actor is not on scene but still ...

BP will open huge and then its legs will depend on the quality. But the 'R.I.P.' factor won't play any part in it. Walker and Ledger were both actually in their respective movies... who in their right mind would be more amped to see a movie because a beloved actor wasn't in it?

4 minutes ago, A Star is Orm said:

BP will open huge and then its legs will depend on the quality. But the 'R.I.P.' factor won't play any part in it. Walker and Ledger were both actually in their respective movies... who in their right mind would be more amped to see a movie because a beloved actor wasn't in it?

Yeah RIP will have zero effect. Curiosity who new BP is (whether revealed in the trailer which I expect them to do, or not), return to Wakanda and of Namor and his homeworld will be main draws. 

@John Marston "struggle" in the sense that audience may not be as receptive to new BP like they were to Chadwick is possible and a risk they are taking. No doubt the movie will open huge for reasons I listed above but handling of it will decide legs. Wakanda and Atlantis (that will be called something else) sound good enough and straightforward. It's Iron Man replacement girl that I'm not sure about, how she fits in all that, whetehr it's meaningful or a promo reel for her show. 

Edited by Valonqar

5 minutes ago, A Star is Orm said:

Still cause the movie will be a tribute to the actor and his character. No doubt at all. 

Plus curiosity for what it's gonna happening in the plot. This is the case where no news at all it's a good thing.

For me big chances for 550M final. 

16 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Phase 3 isn't comparable to Phase 4, though. Phase 3 was the final build-up to the finale and then payoff to universe sharing of previous phases. It was the end of an era. Phase 4 is what happened after the end of an era. That's tricky to navigate for several reasons:

new characters may not capture the zeitgeist like the old favorites 

old favorites may not have stories to tell but pressure is to keep going in case newbies falter

some % of the audience may lose interest because they want to see a story end and Endgame provided that

Disney + demand to churn out more content than realistically needed for MCU 

There's no doubt that significant part of Phase 4 disappointment comes from filler shows. They aren't delivering anything must-see but their number is growing and just hearing about yet another greenlit show starts to grate. Moreover, they are now trying to make D+ characters happen in movies which means pressure to watch those non-essential shows. For example, Kang is supposedly going to be an overarching villain, so you may feel obliged to watch Loki even though whatever happens there won't impact Quantumania in any way except that they have a shared villain. Likewise, I'm sure you won't have to learn about India and Pakistan partition to follow the Marvels even though they'll share Ms Marvel. Etc. It's starting to feel like an obligation rather than something people happily do. Phase 3 didn't have that. Surface-level universe sharing yes but no need to spend 6-10 hours on a TV show that doesn't amount to anything important in the grand scheme of things.

I think the build up is what kept directors in check though. Like even if you remove the IW stuff, I think most of the phase 3 movies just hold up VERY well as standalone films as well. 

People are looking at Phase 4 as Phase 3 part 2 instead of what it really is, a new Phase 1. All the threads are being set up here. New characters being introduced, and the big bad, Kang, is being set up in multiple other projects just like Thanos.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I think the build up is what kept directors in check though. Like even if you remove the IW stuff, I think most of the phase 3 movies just hold up VERY well as standalone films as well. 

IW and Endgame are basically a 2 parter but yes agreed about a more standalone nature.

6 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

People are looking at Phase 4 as Phase 3 part 2 instead of what it really is, a new Phase 1. All the threads are being set up here. New characters being introduced, and the big bad, Kang, is being set up in multiple other projects just like Thanos.

yes but with a disdavantage of having previous phases to compete with/compare. Real Phase 1 was uncharted territory, something that hasn't been done before (build up to Avengers, universe sharing). 

• Like 1

people wouldn't be complaining about the lack of buildup if the stuff we were getting in the meantime were actual bangers. i don't recall "but what does this all lead to??" being the discourse around shang chi or spider-man last year because people liked those movies enough.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Walkers in some of the movie. A bunch of his scenes are CGId deepfakes of him on his brothers faces.

I don't know how much of it is deepfake but Walker is all over that movie, he probably had more screentime in 7 than 5 or 6. 

16 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

people wouldn't be complaining about the lack of buildup if the stuff we were getting in the meantime were actual bangers. i don't recall "but what does this all lead to??" being the discourse around shang chi or spider-man last year because people liked those movies enough.

Wasn’t that a criticism of the Shang chi mid credit scene though? I saw people on here saying “too many plot threads “ as early as that film.

Yeah, so this reaction to TLT before any concrete numbers makes me cringe about what the BPWF discussion will be. 
BPWF could make $500 domestic under pretty difficult production circumstances and it will be PROOF BIG PROOF of MCU collapsing to some. 
I’ll see TLT tonight. Very interested to see how it goes. 

1 minute ago, eddyxx said:

Wasn’t that a criticism of the Shang chi mid credit scene though? I saw people on here saying “too many plot threads “ as early as that film.

Kevin Feige compared Shang-Chi mid credit scene with Iron Man post credit scene, so it could be a tease of Next Avengers movie we just don't know yet

40 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

a lot of the earlier movies were hardly bangers either but they were given more of a pass cause they were “leading up to something”. 

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

People are much more negative about Thor and Strange than they were about the much more poorly reviewed Eternals though.

3 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

People are much more negative about Thor and Strange than they were about the much more poorly reviewed Eternals though.

Eternals is kind of easy to ignore though. Also it’s a totally unknown and unproven property. I think it’s a lot more worrying that Raimi and Waititi are struggling with their established characters now. 

3 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Eternals is kind of easy to ignore though. Also it’s a totally unknown and unproven property. I think it’s a lot more worrying that Raimi and Waititi are struggling with their established characters now. 

"struggling" is extremely relative and subjective. While Internet discourse is only divided into "best ever" and "worst ever" the cast, vast majority of audiences have liked the shows and movies.