sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

1 minute ago, TMP said:

Him and Gosling are two actors I can't ever see signing onto one of these films. Maybe when he's old he can do a Brando-in-Superman and play Uncle Ben in the next reboot or something

That's fair I will continue to watch basically all of their films. If they do I will watch it. If not I get it 

4 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

My point has always been that in our current film landscape, there's no popular films/franchises that is created in this generation, this is a new situation unique pretty much only to the 2010s. Current slate of films are living vicariously through the film glories of the past (Star Wars, Alien, Terminator, Mad Max, Blade Runner, Ghostbusters, Jurassic Park , The Lion King, Aladdin, BATB and Toy Story), or source material of the past (MCU, DCEU), which also happens to be dominating the screens ever since the early 2000s (Sam Raimi's Spiderman, X-Men, Dark Knight).

Partly as a result of superhero domination from source materials tracing back to the 1930s, we're no longer seeing much, if any, War epics, historic epics, hard Sci-Fi, Fantasy, disaster films, and Romantic Epics  in the realm of big blockbusters, or sometimes not at all.

I wouldn't even have as much of a problem with Disney dominating, if Disney is actually interested in creating new IPs, and testing new ideas, and diversify their slate including blockbusters that is not either something rebooted from the 70s, or live-action remake from their previous animated films. Pixar's upcoming originals are promising, but in order to make the 2020s better, that's not enough and all studios need to do more.

Agreed on all fronts. At least Disney is keeping the lights on but all need to do better. I'm also for expanding on original content like sequels. Still better than remakes and even then for the best ones I will see them anyways. 

Edited by cdsacken

13 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Some originals are doing well and yes occasionally midbudget films get screwed. Often they lose out because they suck.

The last time a live action comedy did $100M+ was Girls Trip In 2017, there were also a lot of good comedies like Long Shot and Booksmart as well. Hell, TOG said a long list of mid budget films with strong reception getting screwed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Agreed on all fronts. At least Disney is keeping the lights on but all need to do better. I'm also for expanding on original content like sequels. Still better than remakes and even then for the best ones I will see them anyways. 

But it’s not like other studios aren’t doing better as again a lot of studios do make strong films.

13 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

My point has always been that in our current film landscape, there's no popular films/franchises that is created in this generation, this is a new situation unique pretty much only to the 2010s.

I wouldn't even have as much of a problem with Disney dominating, if Disney is actually interested in creating new IPs, and testing new ideas, and diversify their slate including blockbusters that is not either something rebooted from the 70s, or live-action remake from their previous animated films. Pixar's upcoming originals are promising, but in order to make the 2020s better, that's not enough and all studios need to do more.

But what you're describing isn't really a great argument for "the cinema" either. Measuring its health in terms of things like "IP" and "Franchises" doesn't  make a lot of sense to me... You're basically arguing that the cinema is in trouble for no other reason than there aren't EVEN MORE Franchises...

I remember when the idea of calling a movie series a "franchise" was a low-key INSULT. It meant that movies were disposable junk, fast food that cleaned up at the box office but ruined your health. And now people... not just here, but movie critics too... make straight faced arguments just like this one where they talk about Intellectual Property and corporate marketing plans and franchise possibilities in the ways people used to talk about stories and actors and directors... 

It's weird seeing people who only really care about blockbusters using this "cinema is dying" argument when what they really want isn't the resurgence of the old days of "cinema" they just want more variation in the fast food they eat. Cinema is just fine. And yes, it would be cool if there were different kinds of franchises to visit and patronize... but that's not the same thing as keeping cinema alive really. What would really help in keeping that kind of cinema alive is not only eating at franchises and wanting everything you like to BECOME a franchise... but nobody really wants to do that... I'm just as guilty... 

But making everything a franchise and judging everything on the exploitability of its IP isn't how cinema gets saved...

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier
  • Like 2

Just now, maxalcamo said:

The even bigger disaster of american comedies is outside the Us. Will Smith, Eddie Murphy, Robin Williams, Adam Sandler, Ben Stiller were huge global names. Now there isn't any specifically comedy actor or actress around. 

Its tough for these actors nowadays indeed, when the biggest and most reliable american comedian is constantly on TV.

Also, regarding the "cinema" topic, i do think this forum is very US-centric on that question. While american films in the last 10 years do lack in originality outside the arthouse spectrum, Asian an European cinema is in a very healthy place right now. Id argue Asian and especially South Korean cinema is better than ever.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, john2000 said:

i dont understand fox some times , i mean did thy really think that the script was so good so they proceed ....

That was the problem with Fox and X-Men. They didn't have a choice on whether or not to proceed, especially after they had let Daredevil sit for so long that they scrambled to get something made, failed, and lost the rights for nothing. They had to keep making movies or risk the same thing happening with X-Men.

I'm just starting to learn about Hollywood accounting and yikes. Isn't that technically illegal? I know it's slimy and unethical, but is it even technically legal to basically lie your way out of having to pay someone what their contract says?

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Its tough for these actors nowadays indeed, when the biggest and most reliable american comedian is constantly on TV.

nowadays writers are more interesting to make comedies  to appeal their circle (same for almost every tv comedy) instead for a big audience so they sound culturally really incomprehensible for most americans and everyone outside the Us.

Edited by maxalcamo

27 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

The last time a live action comedy did $100M+ was Girls Trip In 2017, there were also a lot of good comedies like Long Shot and Booksmart as well. Hell, TOG said a long list of mid budget films with strong reception getting screwed.

Firstman made no sense to remove the flag scene. Booksmart had basically no marketing at all. Long shot Endgame.

As for comedies in general specifically R rated it does seem they have suffered. Not sure why and I doubt that is Disney's fault.

Netflix and streaming has really hurt medium films in box office more than Disney or anyone else. I think many who want to see those films are content to wait until it comes out in streaming.

Edited by cdsacken

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

Firstman made no sense to remove the flag scene. Booksmart had basically no marketing at all. Long shot Endgame.

As for comedies in general specifically R rated it does seem they have suffered. Not sure why and I doubt that is Disney's fault.

No one is blaming Disney as it has nothing to do with them, but there is a pattern of counterprogramming and especially of the comedy/drama variety even ones with good reviews flatlining.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

18 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Also, regarding the "cinema" topic, i do think this forum is very US-centric on that question. While american films in the last 10 years do lack in originality outside the arthouse spectrum, Asian an European cinema is in a very healthy place right now. Id argue Asian and especially South Korean cinema is better than ever.

There's also not as much of a distinction between arthouse and blockbuster outside the US. Both Parasite and Aladdin are blockbusters in South Korea and it's not weird.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, cannastop said:

yikes

Is watch almost anything he's a great actor.

27 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

But it’s not like other studios aren’t doing better as again a lot of studios do make strong films.

many big studios are making a ton of rehash/remakes but many are failing. How many original films in 2019 have been super successful?

2 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

The woman next to me said quite loud when TLK finished: "Thank God it's over" LMFAO. Can't blame her, it's the worst thing (it doesn't deserve to be labeled as a movie) that I watched for the past 3 years.

I feel the same way.

I was the first out when the credits rolled... only went because I watched the animation 30 times as a kid.. shoulda made it 31 instead saw Disney ruin something else I like

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

No one is blaming Disney as it has nothing to do with them, but there is a pattern of counterprogramming and especially of the comedy/drama variety even ones with good reviews flatlining.

Nah I think the people who like those films just don't have the urgency to see them in theaters. Heck even for me, there are several films I want to see but won't waste $$ on it in theaters. Unfortunately big spectacles matter with high costs.