sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

I will ignore all early estimates. This will play well late.

Or it wont? Or at least not as well as you are hoping. Even if it manages 20m 50 is off the table. Like, I know you want it well but it came nowhere close to the upper reaches of what your tracking indicated it could, which fits my argument that coastal areas are inflating it overall. And it still opened well. 

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

King of the Monsters also started at 4PM and had a very similar preview # (6.3M) and it did about 3.092

Considering how frontloaded the monster genre tend to be outside Jurassic Park, sequel, franchise and how bad that movie legs were going significantly under that for Hollywood sound quite terrible.

7 minutes ago, Barnack said:

16.5M friday with a 5.8 thursday sound low (2.844 multi).

JW 3: 22.6 from a 5.9M (3.837),

50 shades darker 18.4 from a 5.72M start (3.287),

Dunkirk 19.736 from a 5.5m start (4.285x multi),

Equalizer 2 (13.376 from a 3.1m start, 4.315x multi),

Mission Impossible fallout, 3.801.

4PM will do that but the example above were either franchise sequel or Nolan having a bit of a similar rush factor from fan, seem that like the thursday numbers this is getting played really safe by the pundits.

Tarantino fan rush

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=inglouriousbasterds.htm

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=grindhouse.htm

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=killbill2.htm

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

this is also a xerox copy of 150 posts you've made in the last week. we get it.

No wonder he loves those Disney remakes, he practically recycles every thing he posts on here

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Or it wont? Or at least not as well as you are hoping. Even if it manages 20m 50 is off the table. Like, I know you want it well but it came nowhere close to the upper reaches of what your tracking indicated it could, which fits my argument that coastal areas are inflating it overall. And it still opened well. 

20 mln Friday would definitely make 50 mln within the reach.

Edited by Firepower

The only Disney remake that I am actively hoping get made is Bambi but only if it’s a readaptation that’s closer to the original book it’s based on.

Which, knowing how safe Disney plays it, will never happen given how much darker it is than the animated film (which didn’t skimp out on some darker stuff mind you). 

DL updated again

Sony gets bragging rights for third place as well with Spider-Man: Far From Home in weekend 4 with an estimated $11M-$12M, and a running total by Sunday of $344M, which will rank as Sony’s fourth highest movie ever at the domestic B.O. 

Disney/Pixar’s Toy Story 4 is taking 4th place with around $9M, -43% in weekend 6 for a total by Sunday near $395M.

5th belongs to Paramount’s alligator horror pic Crawl with $3.3M in weekend 3, -46% for a running total of $30.7M.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Edgar Wright is one other with quite that phenomenon, but I am not sure how to read those link, is it the saturday from friday drop that are  big ?

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Considering how frontloaded the monster genre tend to be outside Jurassic Park, sequel, franchise and how bad that movie legs were going significantly under that for Hollywood sound quite terrible.

True, but the final number probably won't be that frontloaded, it's only mid-day.

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Edgar Wright is one other with quite that phenomenon, but I am not sure how to read those link, is it the saturday from friday drop that are  big ?

Copy & pasting from the Buzz thread

Going back to Inglorious Basterds which opened during the summer

2009-08-21  Inglourious Basterds   Friday    1.90 (Mid Previews)/    14.4 (OD)/  38.1 (OW)  /   20.0 (Midnights/OW Multi)

Minus previews which aren't very big and True Friday is $12.5  /$ 36.2 (minus previews) = 2.89x

Recent 4pm adult R rated films

2018-07-20  Equalizer 2        Friday    3.10 (4pm Previews)/    13.4 (OD)/  36.0 (OW)  / 11.6 (Midnights/OW Multi)

True Friday 10.3/  32.9 (mins previews) = 3.19x

Even with Thur previews opening at 4pm instead of midnight and 63% higher it's True Friday/OW (minus previews) is less front loaded by 10%

Grindhouse had a OD/OW - 2.3x multi in April while  Reaping (R Horror) opened the same w/ had a 2.65x

Kill Bill 2 - 2.33x multi  while Punisher (R) had a 2.68 the same w/e

So both of those about 15% more front loaded than other R rated films opening the same w/e. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Firepower said:

20 mln Friday would definitely make 50 mln within the reach.

Only with an unsual hold on Saturday and Sunday. 20m +14.5 Saturday (Previews coming off) makes it nearly impossible for 50 unless Sunday would increase. 

7 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

The only Disney remake that I am actively hoping get made is Bambi but only if it’s a readaptation that’s closer to the original book it’s based on.

Which, knowing how safe Disney plays it, will never happen given how much darker it is than the animated film (which didn’t skimp out on some darker stuff mind you). 

I'd love to see them try something new with the remakes, like for The Emperor's New Groove wouldn't work in live action so try the original pitch, Kingdom of the Sun which would work better in live action and be a musical.

Or take films that didn't work and improve on them, Atlantis: The Lost Empire and Treasure Planet and make them into PG-13 franchise starters as their fan base is very miniscule and would be cool with it, as well as the fact Disney can have some more remakes with actual longetivity. But knowing Disney, they'd rather do safe options that use nostalgia as their only tool would use the 2010s library in the 2030s. Hopefully people like Mulan enough that Disney can try something new with the remake.

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

I feel the same way.

I was the first out when the credits rolled... only went because I watched the animation 30 times as a kid..  made it 31 instead saw Disney ruin something else I like

If I were you , I would be more nervous now.  :ph34r:

*cough* Avatar 2 *cough*

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

this is also a xerox copy of 150 posts you've made in the last week. we get it.

People seem to have a very hard time to grasp the fact the word

original

is a VERY loose concept.

I personally see more originality in genre movies/blockbusters and all than in all the stale movies cinephiles fap to.

These movies, by design, want to show you things that don't exist in real life.

Not creative enough, uh ?

Blockbusters have books called the Art of and you have 300-400 pages full of amazing drawings (around 1000) by all the artists who design these movies, so much art and creativity you wouldn't believe it.

Plenty of sci fi props, machines, armors, powers, planets, characters, aliens you will never see in treal life.

I just don't understand the notion that, visually, blockbusters are safe and always the same while movies like Hollywood or The Favorite are the original ones.

Nolan is supposed to be the creative artist when he does superhero movies because he is filming New-York and Chicago while I can see a huge fight in a distant planet between Thanos and Dr Strange that required the work of 250 artists (previz artists, directors, designers, vfx artists) for one year.

I will never ever understand that mindset.

The search for "realism" and grittiness is, to me, in contradiction with human imagination.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

People seem to have a very hard time to grasp the fact the word

original

is a VERY loose concept.

I personally see more originality in genre movies/blockbusters and all than in all the stale movies cinephiles fap to.

These movies, by design, want to show you things that don't exist in real life.

Not creative enough, uh ?

Blockbusters have books called the Art of and you have 300-400 pages full of amazing drawings (around 1000) by all the artists who design these movies, so much art and creativity you wouldn't believe it.

Plenty of sci fi props, machines, armors, powers, planets, characters, aliens you will never see in treal life.

I just don't understand the notion that, visually, blockbusters are safe and always the same while movies like Hollywood or The Favorite are the original ones.

Nolan is supposed to be the creative artist when he does superhero movies because he is filming New-York and Chicago while I can see a huge fight in a distant planet between Thanos and Dr Strange that required the work of 250 artists (previz artists, directors, designers, vfx artists) for one year.

I will never ever understand that mindset.

The search for "realism" and grittiness is, to me, in contradiction with human imagination.

MistyImperturbableCapeghostfrog-size_res

• Haha 1

Saw an old man and his son coming out of OUATIH and they both agreed it was "one of the worst movies" they ever saw. What were they expecting? I mean you'd think people would know what they're getting with Tarantino by now, or did they just go see it because they're fans of old Hollywood?