sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

Endgame/Captain Marvel are original script. Having comic book events and characters doesn't negate them being an original film.

This is the weirdest distinction I've ever seen. The characters in those films aren't original; they're based on pre-existing text. Even outside of that one of them is the third sequel to a crossover film and the other is a prequel to a saga of films. Cliff Booth and Rick Dalton didn't exist until Tarantino wrote that script, so I don't see how it's not an original film just because it's set during a time that actually happened.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Disney characters and their reactions of the box office grosses of their live action movies:

Disney characters and their reactions to their live-action film:

Aladdin:

tumblr_o2iqd7ehMt1s2wio8o1_1280.gif

Lion King:

facepalm.jpg

Dumbo:

06_top10saddestkidsmovies.jpg?w=720&h=48

DISCLAIMER:

This is a joke.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Endgame/Captain Marvel are original script. Having comic book events and characters doesn't negate them being an original film.

But it’s part of a franchise, the former is a fourquel.

7 minutes ago, Alli said:

yeah, will smith had hits in crap movies. that's star power!!! selling crap and people still coming to see you. will smith is a loved celeb.

Imagine leo in aladdin! hahahahha

Yeah, the key to longevity in this business is knowing what isn't for you. Aladdin sin't for Leo so he isn't trying to butt in. I see no problem with that. 

• Like 4

Just now, Valonqar said:

Yeah, the key to longevity in this business is knowing what isn't for you. Aladdin sin't for Leo so he isn't trying to butt in. I see no problem with that. 

That IMO is because Leo didn't set that sort of image for himself. Just imagine post Titanic, he could have made a career out of romantic roles.

6 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I noticed tracking thread is more accurate without pulse than it was before or is it just me.

DE_FnB.gif

We switched off our targeting computer. :ph34r:

Spoiler

I think it's just you - that and we're getting a few more trackers now to help out. 👍

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Alli said:

yeah, will smith had hits in crap movies. that's star power!!! selling crap and people still coming to see you. will smith is a loved celeb.

Imagine leo in aladdin! hahahahha

Brillant idea they should now cast him in the king of theives as Cassim :ohmyzod:

Just now, Porthos said:

DE_FnB.gif

We switched off our targeting computer. :ph34r:

Reveal hidden contents

Porthos, at this point its obvious that Deadline, Variety and Forbes will try to infiltrate the tracking thread. If by some miracle their tracking numbers and early preview numbers will line up with our numbers in the future, we should take action. i. e. we should set up some fake numbers to try to make them confused while we will secretly use some sort of secret code to ensure we know the real numbers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

31 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

You act like me saying Hellboy 3 is better than Lion King is some extreme opinion I had when I gave them the same rating (1/5) and I slightly prefer one over the other.  But you do seem to quote it a lot anyway.  Not sure what's so controversial about thinking Booksmart is one of the best movies of the year too, considering that's what many other people seem to think (and I don't think it's the best, I'd put Us ahead of it).  It'd help if you didn't ooze insecurity every time you talked about my opinions on a film.

Since we're pulling the "it's your opinion" card, wouldn't it be your opinion that studios aren't putting out high quality product like Disney?  I think Aladdin is a shoddily made bore of a film, and yet that made truckloads of cash.  I could just as easily use it to "prove" that terrible movies make money all the time.  Or I could go with The Lion King, which was just the animated film done over again with nothing interesting added to it.  I don't think, though, that it's a stretch to say that A24 consistently makes great movies.  I used Under the Silver Lake as an example just because I love it and wanted to signal boost it, but I could've easily used Lady Bird, Hereditary, Ex Machina, Moonlight, Room, Eighth Grade, The Lobster, First Reformed, The Florida Project, or any of their other acclaimed films that made nowhere near as much compared to the newest Disney tentpole. 

A lot of these don't even have "narrow demographics," they were just limited because they're distributed by a studio that has nowhere near the marketing capability of the largest company in the film industry.  But even if you claim to only want to use "mass market" films as examples, then I can name quite a few.  First Man, Long Shot, Annihilation, Silence, Paddington 2, Widows, The Hate U Give, mother!, etc., all good/great movies in the last few years from major studios that either underperformed or outright bombed.  I can name a lot more, those just come to mind immediately.

Dear God you are extremely opinionated. Hell Boy 3 is one fo the most reviled films in years TLK is nowhere near. The GA loved Aladdin and it shows with incredible legs. I emphasized Booksmart because every one of your opinions is so extreme.

Long Shot horrible release date. First Man took away the US centric appeal of the film, Paddington 2 made close to the first did. Silence was a pretty limited release.

Plenty of nondisney films can be successful. There isn't some massive consipracy against them

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

That IMO is because Leo didn't set that sort of image for himself. Just imagine post Titanic, he could have made a career out of romantic roles.

or drive himself into the ground like MM who tried to be a romantic star. I don't get people around here who deny his star power just because he's good at picking roles and uses his privilege to work with the best to the fullest. I read somewhere that Nicole Kidman was in that position after her win but squandered it on several bad remakes. 

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Yeah, Kevin is underrated when it comes to Jumanji. It's really a team up that sells not just DJ.  

I don’t like his type of comedy, but the man does sell a lot movies, he doesn’t seem to get credit for. He even sells bad just like will smith once could. 

Just now, tawasal said:

I don’t like his type of comedy, but the man does sell a lot movies, he doesn’t seem to get credit for. He even sells bad just like will smith once could. 

yep. It's funny that he and Tyler Perry are always overlooked when boxoffice draws are debated wven though they are super consistent with their fanbase, which is much more than some often mentioned stars can claim. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

Dear God you are extremely opinionated. Hell Boy 3 is one fo the most reviled films in years TLK is nowhere near. The GA loved Aladdin and it shows with incredible legs. I emphasized Booksmart because every one of your opinions is so extreme.

Long Shot horrible release date. First Man took away the US centric appeal of the film, Paddington 2 made close to the first did. Silence was a pretty limited release.

Plenty of nondisney films can be successful. There isn't some massive consipracy against them

That’s his opinion though. I liked Suicide Squad and still think it’s the best CBM of 2016, and many members give me shit about it, and I easily understand why others don’t like it and the problems with it, but I don’t get in a funk because someone does it like it or if the audience does or doesn’t like it. I mean I thought Aladdin was going to be awful and it’s one of the few Disney remakes I like.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Going by early numbers I am seeing $50mn is completely off the table so don't get your expectations that high. I haven't looked up for comps and neither really wanna at this hour but $17-19mn Friday including Previews.

Isn't it extremely early to make any calculations?