sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

But best of the best doesn't guarantee big boxoffice or most movies in Top 10, 20, etc yearly and all time would have been directed by best of the best. Which they are not. Revenant may have been his big push for Oscar but it was curiously around him that turned it into 500M hit. replace him with Fassbender or Isaac or whatever other actor that Internet tried to make into a star and you get 500K. 

It does if the movies you do with them are quality movies. Leo is great actor and he can be attributed some of the draw for the GA, but the movies don’t die or live by him alone. 

Will smith for a decade had movies doing good just because of him with no other influence. 

12 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Yeah, that's a release schedule teeming with originality

SONY / COLUMBIA

FUTURE RELEASES

Movie Title (click to view) Studio Release Date
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood Sony / Columbia 7/26/19
The Angry Birds Movie 2 Sony / Columbia 8/14/19
Overcomer Sony / AFFIRM Films 8/23/19
Zombieland 2: Double Tap Sony / Columbia 10/18/19
Black and Blue Sony / Screen Gems 10/25/19
Charlie's Angels (2019) Sony / Columbia 11/15/19
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood Sony / Columbia 11/22/19
Jumanji: The Next Level Sony / Columbia 12/13/19
Little Women (2019) Sony / Columbia 12/25/19
Masters of the Universe (2020) Sony / Columbia 2020
The Grudge (2020) Sony / Columbia 1/3/20
Bad Boys for Life Sony / Columbia 1/17/20
Peter Rabbit 2 Sony / Columbia 2/7/20
Bloodshot Sony / Columbia 2/21/20
Blumhouse Fantasy Island Horror Sony / Columbia 2/28/20
Fatherhood Sony / Columbia 4/3/20
Untitled Affirm Films Coach Project Sony / AFFIRM Films 4/10/20
Greyhound Sony / Columbia 5/8/20
Untitled Ghostbusters Sony / Columbia 7/10/20
Sony/Marvel Morbius Columbia 7/31/20
Escape Room 2 Sony / Columbia 8/14/20
Monster Hunter Sony / Screen Gems 9/4/20
Untitled Lord and Miller Animation Sony / Columbia 9/18/20
Untitled Sony/Marvel Sequel (2020) Sony / Columbia 10/2/20
Vivo Sony / Columbia 11/6/20
Happiest Season TriStar 11/20/20
Uncharted Sony / Columbia 12/18/20
Cinderella (2021) Sony / Columbia 2/5/21
Hotel Transylvania 4 Sony / Columbia 12/22/21

I counted 11/29, whereas Disney excluding Fox has 5/25 through 2021, your point?

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TMP said:

If they only released Once Upon a Time in Hollywood this year they'd still be releasing more original films than Disney in 2018+2019 combined.

Penguins was original and what qualify as original iirc OUATIH is based on some real life event.

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

To be fair, that probably has as much to do with the concepts of his other films minus Leo. Both Dunkirk and Interstellar are less GA friendly than Inception. Still, Leo breaks down that barrier of credibility needed for a film like Inception.

I wouldn't call Interstellar less GA friendly. Inception was much more of a mind bender and WTF is going on than Interstellar. It was also a better movie. I do agree about Dunkirk as it wasn't a movie with a clear human protagonist which is tougher sell to GA and yet here we are. Nolan power. :bravo:

yeah, will smith had hits in crap movies. that's star power!!! selling crap and people still coming to see you. will smith is a loved celeb.

Imagine leo in aladdin! hahahahha

Edited by Alli
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

Leo is far bigger star than The Rock ffs. People overrate DJo like anything.

TBF Leo has been doing it longer than Dwayne Johnson and I think Johnson's star power is more akin to Tom Cruise where it has to be the right film. 

Penguins was original and what qualify as original iirc OUATIH is based on some real life event.

OUATIH is an original script. Having real life events and characters doesn't negate it being an original film.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Leo is far bigger star than The Rock ffs. People overrate DJo like anything.

I don’t care that much for him and Kevin Hart. But kevin is a more of a draw than DJ.

5 minutes ago, MrPink said:

To be fair, that probably has as much to do with the concepts of his other films minus Leo. Both Dunkirk and Interstellar are less GA friendly than Inception. Still, Leo breaks down that barrier of credibility needed for a film like Inception.

Inception is really when Nolan was confirmed as an A-list director in every sense of the word and Leo deserves a lot of credit for, as you say, lending credibility to the GA.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Minnale101 said:

I’m just glad Pixar for next 3-4 years will atleast be original and make some quality movies 

I am looking forward to Soul.

• Like 2

Just now, Valonqar said:

I wouldn't call Interstellar less GA friendly. Inception was much more of a mind bender and WTF is going on than Interstellar. It was also a better movie. I do agree about Dunkirk as it wasn't a movie with a clear human protagonist which is tougher sell to GA and yet here we are. Nolan power. :bravo:

Eh, I think it's easier to sell the image of something like fighting in zero gravity and bending cities than the power of love through bookshelves. 

Just saying 👀

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Original movie means its not based on some sort of preexisting source material i. e. other films, books, videogames etc. Real life events are something different though. Otherwise you would have to say that Dunkirk or Apocalypse Now arent original movies, but i think everyone would agree that they are.

1 minute ago, TMP said:

OUATIH is an original script. Having real life events and characters doesn't negate it being an original film.

Endgame/Captain Marvel are original script. Having comic book events and characters doesn't negate them being an original film.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Wouldn't having Harry Styles make Dunkirk more GA friendly or is that just in the UK?

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

TBF Leo has been doing it longer than Dwayne Johnson and I think Johnson's star power is more akin to Tom Cruise where it has to be the right film. 

Nah, that’s just outright wrong. Dwayne isn’t like Tom or even Kevin. He only has hits because of the people and the brand thats around him.