Eric Prime

Hobbs & Shaw Weekend Thread: 60.8M OW (6th-best August debut), 180.8M WW | TLK 38.2, OUATIH 20, FFH 7.7, TS4 7.1, Farewell 2.4

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Playmobil just got bumped back from Labor Day weekend so now nothing is opening there. Blinded by the Light should blink to that date now but they won't.

Don't Let Go is opening that weekend. It doesn't actually look too bad.

As for Blinded By the Light, it was originally slated for a Wednesday August 14 release so it appeared like Warner Bros. was treat it like this year's Crazy Rich Asians. That is to say they probably to get those last few weeks of summer in to maximize grosses.

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, since it's a "don't take it seriously" movie opening weekend with H&S, I decided to let my boys pick any movie they wanted that we would watch together tonight...

And wouldn't you know - I lobbied for Gremlins, but that would be "too scary". so my boys did the 100% appropriate thing and picked an "August dump" movie back from 1989 with major stars like Howie Mandel, Fred Savage, Ben Savage, and Daniel Stern...and it was a movie I LITERALLY had never heard of, let alone ever seen in the theater...

See, I should see who is a google fiend or who actually was one of the under 100K people who actually saw this 1st run in theater on that lowly Aug 25-27 weekend back in 1989...or who has made it their mission to watch every old movie released onto Netflix.

Anyway...now, that you had a chance to look:)...it was Little Monsters...and it was bizarre...but not bad...I mean, not good, either, but that creative and crazy (Howie had to have been on something for some of his scenes) that really appeals to kids.  My boys liked it, with one even saying he thinks that this movie inspired Monsters, Inc.  And you know, there are some pretty on point elements...not saying Pixar made a copy, but boy, if I'd have seen this movie 1st, I'd have recognized a lot of tropes Pixar used in their Monster movies:).

But, all in all, a worthwhile night to celebrate the "dumps of August."  I may have to do this again next weekend, b/c my boys can seem to find these movies that I never knew ever saw the light of day:)...

I haven’t heard anyone mention that movie in years! I was 9 years old at the time that’s movie came out.  I begged my dad to rent it when the video store finally got it in and ended up being too scared to watch it by myself. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, since it's a "don't take it seriously" movie opening weekend with H&S, I decided to let my boys pick any movie they wanted that we would watch together tonight...

And wouldn't you know - I lobbied for Gremlins, but that would be "too scary". so my boys did the 100% appropriate thing and picked an "August dump" movie back from 1989 with major stars like Howie Mandel, Fred Savage, Ben Savage, and Daniel Stern...and it was a movie I LITERALLY had never heard of, let alone ever seen in the theater...

See, I should see who is a google fiend or who actually was one of the under 100K people who actually saw this 1st run in theater on that lowly Aug 25-27 weekend back in 1989...or who has made it their mission to watch every old movie released onto Netflix.

Anyway...now, that you had a chance to look:)...it was Little Monsters...and it was bizarre...but not bad...I mean, not good, either, but that creative and crazy (Howie had to have been on something for some of his scenes) that really appeals to kids.  My boys liked it, with one even saying he thinks that this movie inspired Monsters, Inc.  And you know, there are some pretty on point elements...not saying Pixar made a copy, but boy, if I'd have seen this movie 1st, I'd have recognized a lot of tropes Pixar used in their Monster movies:).

But, all in all, a worthwhile night to celebrate the "dumps of August."  I may have to do this again next weekend, b/c my boys can seem to find these movies that I never knew ever saw the light of day:)...

My birthday weekend is legit in the tenderloin of the dumps of August    In fact no movie that opened around my birthday ever opened over 40 million 

Edited by DAR
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

They would have probably made more in July b/c of the lack of screen crunch.  Look at the movies holding on now with thousands of screens with low PTAs.   Just take 4 of those August titles coming out in the next 2 weeks and place one a week over the last 4 weekends.  They'd do better a bit as would those remaining in August.  Though one or even two of the larger May or June titles should have moved into Aug.

Movie scheduling was just so weird this year.  I realize at least some of the commentary is hindsight bias, as well as not quite seeing how great/terrible some expected tentpoles would perform.  But even so, it's weird how, for instance, films poured into May (only to get steamrolled by Endgame [with the exception of Wick 3 and even then it's still "just" a mid-sized hit in the grand scheme of the box office]) and then dump a bunch of uninspiring films into June, while leaving July pretty barren.

It's like they ran scared from TLK and decided to pick a fight with Endgame while at the same time treating June like a glorified January or February dump month. 

I suppose if EG had acted more like IW and (picks a film at random) Aladdin played more like Solo, things could have worked out better for those other films.  But we all know how KotM was received (once again, apologies kaiju fans) and Pika Pika proved to be the most over-hyped film in recent memory.

And that's not even getting into Shazam!  Still not quite sure when it could have released, even with perfect hindsight knowledge.  But there should have been some point where it wouldn't have been overlooked between CM and EG.

Just an odd year all the way around. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Movie scheduling was just so weird this year.  I realize at least some of the commentary is hindsight bias, as well as not quite seeing how great/terrible some expected tentpoles would perform.  But even so, it's weird how, for instance, films poured into May (only to get steamrolled by Endgame [with the exception of Wick 3 and even then it's still "just" a mid-sized hit in the grand scheme of the box office]) and then dump a bunch of uninspiring films into June, while leaving July pretty barren.

It's like they ran scared from TLK and decided to pick a fight with Endgame while at the same time treating June like a glorified January or February dump month. 

I suppose if EG had acted more like IW and (picks a film at random) Aladdin played more like Solo, things could have worked out better for those other films.  But we all know how KotM was received (once again, apologies kaiju fans) and Pika Pika proved to be the most over-hyped film in recent memory.

And that's not even getting into Shazam!  Still not quite sure when it could have released, even with perfect hindsight knowledge.  But there should have been some point where it wouldn't have been overlooked between CM and EG.

Just an odd year all the way around. 

That's the thing. Studios really did run away from TLK, didn't they? I mean, I can't say they were wrong in their thinking from the standpoint that TLK would be giant (just think of how much bigger it could have been if reception was much better!), but they were wrong in thinking that at least a couple more small to mid-sized movies couldn't co-exist just fine, regardless of how big TLK was.

OR....

I'm wrong and they were right to fear TLK but it just wasn't quite as big as they thought. I think those here who thought this would be record breaking weren't alone. I think studios anticipated that as well. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I'm wrong and they were right to fear TLK but it just wasn't quite as big as they thought. I think those here who thought this would be record breaking weren't alone. I think studios anticipated that as well. 

Well, see, that's what I meant about hindsight bias.  I was more noting the irony of the situation that they collectively decided they could co-exist with EG (since DP2 did well enough last May with IW and Solo should done better) but couldn't co-exist with TLK (the buzz from that film was astronomical).

Even WB bet that Shazam! could be a supersized version of Rampage or Ready Player One in that gap between CM and EG.

Whoops all the way around.  In retrospect, at least.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Well, see, that's what I meant about hindsight bias.  I was more noting the irony of the situation that they collectively decided they could co-exist with EG (since DP2 did well enough last May with IW and Solo should done better) but couldn't co-exist with TLK (the buzz from that film was astronomical).

Even WB bet that Shazam! could be a supersized version of Rampage or Ready Player One in that gap between CM and EG.

I do want to add that hindsight only goes so far, of course.  Shazam! should never have been placed between CM and EG, so not only was it a bad bet, it was a shortsighted one.

Their own logic about being able to co-exist with EG (hey, it'll prob do 650-750, we can live with that after a couple of weeks) should have applied to TLK, even if they drank the Kool-Aid and pegged it at 650+.

All of the above doesn't explain why they dumped a bunch of movies into Prime Summer Timein June where they just wilted and died.  I suppose they didn't expect Aladdin to beast the way it did, and to be fair very few people did.  But even if one knocks Aladdin all the way down to 175-250, it's not like the other films would have really benefitted.  Only one I could see being helped is SLOP2, as that does seem to have found something of an audience.

So, let's call it... uninspired scheduling, bordering on negligent, plus a two bad bets paying off in the worst way possible (three if you count the unexpected hit nature of Aladdin). 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I do want to add that hindsight only goes so far, of course.  Shazam! should never have been placed between CM and EG, so not only was it a bad bet, it was a shortsighted one.

Where should they have put Shazam! then?

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Oh yeah, I agree with that point too. I mean, no matter how big TLK was going to get, was it for sure going to be bigger than EG??? I don't think so. Like you said, a bizarre tactic indeed.

Avengers films are truly untouchable. I would have said Star Wars, though they're next on the list in terms of being untouchable, but we all know the message sent by Jumanji to Star Wars a couple years ago. 

18 hours ago, baumer said:

You have to have seen another movie in order to get the joke.

Reminds me about Fellowship, as Boromir cut his finger at the broken sword, saying still sharp....

Got loud laughter in at least some of the UK and also in Eire cinemas, and also by me and my son.

There is a reason Sean Bean is the person to advertise for those things in the eyes instead of glasses (forgot the term)

The Sharpe TV movie series

Love it (and he does not die in it)