Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

I do think this may be something of a symptom of the UK cinemagoing audience being generally more family-orientated and perhaps also more female compared to cinema going audiences in other countries. Does anyone know if there's anything to bear this out. 

I don't think there's any great manipulation going on here, just perhaps a mass contrived effort to make it a cultural 'moment' given that Mamma Mia and Bohemian Rhapsody have already managed to do that this year somewhat with only half the push. Spoken to my friend who's a manager for Odeon and from the sound of things they are all just legitimately convinced Mary Poppins is going to be ginormous. Reviews have been far more generous to it over here as well in general.

I think the other things with both Aquaman and Spiderverse is that I think British Joe Public has a slightly different definition of "just silly" than other places and that definition doesn't help those two films particularly. Or I may be speculating or retrofitting.

Given how huge musicals have been in the UK in 2018, I understand that many cinemas do not want to underestimate a potentially huge audience for a Christmas musical with brand appeal. Also, the DCEU hasn't exactly resonated deeply with audiences. If I'm not mistaken, Paddington 2 came extremely close to defeating Justice League on the latter's opening weekend last year (in fact, here in Ireland it actually DID beat it), and Wonder Woman didn't do the massive numbers it achieved in other territories. I can see why some are annoyed by the disparity in the number of screens but I also get that cinemas don't want to sacrifice the screens of a film that could possibly sell out its capacity for something that might only attract 10-20 customers.

Edited by gadd
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, maxalcamo said:

Why people are so negative about Mary Poppins run in the Uk 😱?. Because of the Us results? I mean who cares😂 It's gonna be huge. Not like star wars episode 7 but it's gonna beat infinity war for sure 

They're not happy about Poppins getting almost all the screens compared to their faves Aquaman and Bumblebee.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maxalcamo said:

Why people are so negative about Mary Poppins run in the Uk 😱?. Because of the Us results? I mean who cares😂 It's gonna be huge. Not like star wars episode 7 but it's gonna beat infinity war for sure 

I’ve just checked how MPR is performing at my local Cineworld (one of the biggest in the country, Sheffield) and a 4pm showtime in their biggest non-IMAX screen (a 550 seat auditorium) which is starting as I type this has barely 60 seats sold. That’s terrible for a family film on a Saturday afternoon. The 7:30pm show in the same screen has 36 presales. And they might as well not have even bothered putting this in IMAX as it’s a ghost town for both evening shows (comparatively, Bohemian Rhapsody in IMAX was at least 75% full for all of its evening shows during its opening weekend).

I think they’ve seriously overestimated the demand for this film. Even with holiday legs, it’s not going to sniff Infinity War’s numbers.

• Thanks 2

It isn't exclusively about Aquaman or Bumblebee by any means. Nativity Rocks, a specific family-orientated movie in direct competition in theory with MPR for the schoolchildren market - has been banished entirely from screens just as schools come out and so has been screwed even worse than those two. Ralph has been underserved. Creed 2 has been completely yanked despite doing pretty well over here. BR could clearly still be bringing in some money. There is little or no counter programming available. It is wall to wall MPR with only the other major players getting scraps.

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

I think they’ve seriously overestimated the demand for this film. Even with holiday legs, it’s not going to sniff Infinity War’s numbers.

this. overestimated demand and belief that aggressive marketing and theater monopoly would beef up the attendance. Wrong. 

27 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Wow, what a failure that would be - not making more than $96.6m from the UK.

It's not about saying it won't be successful or that it doesn't deserve the most screens. It's the sheer dominance of screens that it has been given at most cinemas. A dominance that is only ever reserved for Star Wars and IW. Not for Mamma Mia, not for HP, not for Bond, not for any other Marvel has there been this level of monopolisation of screens. 

Yeah, Mary Poppins is doing well but it doesn’t look crazy busy. I don’t know if that’s just because there are so many showtimes, or it’s the holidays so BO will be more spread out. I didn’t expect this to have such a huge opening anyway because it’s likely it’ll do big business throughout the entire holiday period. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

It isn't exclusively about Aquaman or Bumblebee by any means. Nativity Rocks, a specific family-orientated movie in direct competition in theory with MPR for the schoolchildren market - has been banished entirely from screens just as schools come out and so has been screwed even worse than those two. Ralph has been underserved. Creed 2 has been completely yanked despite doing pretty well over here. BR could clearly still be bringing in some money. There is little or no counter programming available. It is wall to wall MPR with only the other major players getting scraps.

Nativity is gone because those movies are turds. Not because of competition. The amount of cash it was bringing in was negligible 

• Like 1

I hope this means they cut Mary Poppings Imax so i can watch Aquaman in Imax.. 

38 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Aquaman seems to have made 1.8 mil this Friday. Is that good?

pretty sure its higher then last friday? 

They really damn overestimated MP and underrated Aquaman. 

Edited by Wotad