Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

On 1/21/2019 at 4:54 PM, SchumacherFTW said:

Anyone else feel like we're about to follow the US with Broly taking a win on Weds and Thursday? 

As I look out the window and see it's snowing, I have even less interest in going to the cinema than I previously did. Even knowing any movie I see will be free, I still have little to no interest in any of the current releases. Maybe Mary Queen of Scots, but not in a hurry. So I can see a very fanboy-driven event like this dominating.

1 hour ago, reddevil19 said:

As I look out the window and see it's snowing, I have even less interest in going to the cinema than I previously did. Even knowing any movie I see will be free, I still have little to no interest in any of the current releases. Maybe Mary Queen of Scots, but not in a hurry. So I can see a very fanboy-driven event like this dominating.

What's snow? We southern folk are not aware of this phenomenon. 

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 4:54 PM, SchumacherFTW said:

Anyone else feel like we're about to follow the US with Broly taking a win on Weds and Thursday? 

Looking at the local showings, yes possibly. I swear I looked last week and it wasn't busy. Lots of sellouts now. Sadly seems like everywhere is showing the dubbed version is that right? Or maybe that's normal for TV anime shows, I don't know. I would only want to watch a Japanese film with original language + subtitles.

14 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Looking at the local showings, yes possibly. I swear I looked last week and it wasn't busy. Lots of sellouts now. Sadly seems like everywhere is showing the dubbed version is that right? Or maybe that's normal for TV anime shows, I don't know. I would only want to watch a Japanese film with original language + subtitles.

DBZ is a different beast. I can't handle it in Japanese, but can't handle any other anime in English. 

It’s official – last year UK cinemas recorded their highest level of admissions since 1970.

Admissions reached 177,001,481 in 2018, an increaes of 3.7% on 2017 and the most since admissions hit 193,000,000 in 1970

The highest-grossing film of 2018 in the UK was Avengers: Infinity War, which took $96.6m (£74.8m) for Disney. The top five was also comprised of Universal’s Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again ($84.2m (£65.3m); Disney’s Incredibles 2 ($73.2m (£56.8m); Disney’s Black Panther ($70.6m (£57.4m); and 20th Century Fox’s Bohemian Rhapsody ($64.2m (£50m).

However, it was a tough year for non-studio distributors. In the overall UK top 50 highest-grossing films of 2018, only three were not distributed by studios, Studiocanal’s Early Man and eOne’s The Post and The House With A Clock In Its Walls.

Box office returns

Despite the rise in admissions, box office takings were flat year-on-year.

The overall 2018 total was £1,277,122,327, marginally below the number recorded in 2017, which was £1,277,878,351.

That means that the average ticket price, taken by dividing the total box office by admissions, fell to £7.22 in 2018. In a statement, the UK Cinema Association said that this reflected ”tactical discounting in the sector”.

https://www.screendaily.com/news/uk-cinema-admissions-officially-hit-highest-level-since-1970-with-177m-exclusive/5136025.article

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Fantastic news!

It has been such a strong year at the box office. Lots of huge films - as well as the ones quoted in that article above, there's Greatest Showman & Peter Rabbit, which both I believe grossed over £40 million this year.

As much as I'd personally like HTTYD3 to come #1 next weekend, I think Escape Room will pull an upset.

The preview screening tonight was... intense. Presales were only about 15 seats or so, then it sold out... It was a great atmosphere in there and lots of chatter afterwards.

I know 1 screening on a Saturday night in one cinema isn't much to go on, but yeah I've got a good feeling (or bad feeling, because I want HTTYD3 to win)

12 hours ago, feasby007 said:

As much as I'd personally like HTTYD3 to come #1 next weekend, I think Escape Room will pull an upset.

The preview screening tonight was... intense. Presales were only about 15 seats or so, then it sold out... It was a great atmosphere in there and lots of chatter afterwards.

I know 1 screening on a Saturday night in one cinema isn't much to go on, but yeah I've got a good feeling (or bad feeling, because I want HTTYD3 to win)

Are you kidding me? 

HTTY3 will win at 100%.

13 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Are you kidding me? 

HTTY3 will win at 100%.

Horror has been starved for a while, animation don't usually do that well compared to USA, and Half term is two weeks later.

Okay scratch that HTTYD3 will win thankfully. I just looked up what 1 and 2 did, apparently #2 opened to £7.7m, and that was in Summer with World Cup and Transformers opening to almost £12m.

I don't think Escape Room will go over £7m, I just didn't realise how well HTTYD does over here!

I am pleasantly surprised :)

Edited by feasby007
  • Like 1