Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

My beloved Everyman isn’t even showing The Last Duel this weekend!?!? I’m borderline about to go down there with pitchforks! 

There’s zero chance I’m seeing a no doubt beautifully photographed Ridley epic with dim projection anywhere else. 

Edited by wildphantom

The 12-screener I go to has this - 

Spoiler

Venom: Let There Be Carnage - 18 showings (Fri / Sat) / 17 showings (Sun) / 14 showings (Mon - Wed) / 9 showings (Thu)

No Time to Die - 11 showings (Fri - Sun) / 10 showings (Mon / Tue) / 11 showings (Wed) / 9 showings (Thu)

Dune - 11 showings (Thu)

Halloween Kills - 7 showings (Fri / Sat) / 6 showings (Sun) / 5 showings (Mon - Thu)

Ron's Gone Wrong - 7 showings (Fri - Sun) / 6 showings (Mon - Wed) / 3 showings (Thu)

The Addams Family 2 - 6 showings (Fri - Sun) / 5 showings (Mon - Wed) / 2 showings (Thu)

The Last Duel - 3 showings (Fri - Thu)

Paw Patrol: The Movie - 3 showings (Fri - Sun) / 1 showing (Mon)

The Croods: A New Age - 1 showing

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - 1 showing

Sat / Sun: Space Jam: A New Legacy - 1 showing

Mon: Dune - Limitless Screening - 1 showing

Tue: Juice + Recorded Q&A - 1 showing

The 5-screener near me hasn't even bothered with The Last Duel, Halloween Kills is on late night showings. With the addition of Dune it's just No Time to Die. The Addams Family (1 show), Venom 2, Halloween Kills (1 show). Honsla Rakh (1 show), Ron's Gone Wrong and Dune all with 3 or 4 showings unless otherwise stated.

This is going to be a very interesting weekend...

11 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

My beloved Everyman isn’t even showing The Last Duel this weekend!?!? I’m borderline about to go down there with pitchforks! 

There’s zero chance I’m seeing a no doubt beautifully photographed Ridley epic with dim projection anywhere else. 

Yeah, The Last Duel is getting just 3 screenings a day at my regular. Seems it has been forgotten about, I'm not surprised to be honest. Halloween Kills, Ron's Gone Wrong and Venom 2 are definitely safer bets this upcoming weekend. That's the one problem with a crowded market, some film is bound to be missed out.

1 minute ago, Mike Hunt said:

Yeah, The Last Duel is getting just 3 screenings a day at my regular. Seems it has been forgotten about, I'm not surprised to be honest. Halloween Kills, Ron's Gone Wrong and Venom 2 are definitely safer bets this upcoming weekend. That's the one problem with a crowded market, some film is bound to be missed out.

I might have to brave my local Odeon. Which is usually pretty good, but I have new high standards of projection I’m used to with Everyman :( 

My Everyman - Bond, Venom, Halloween, Ron, Addams 2

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Space Jam 2 beating Jungle Cruise despite opening £800k less and two weeks earlier with awful reviews. 

LeBron James is practically unknown here. Strength of the Space Jam name I guess.

guess that Disney+ PA played a little part in the end. 

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

It really does seem to be getting screwed, so unfair. I managed to get tickets for a nice sized room, but still. 

Although not as screwed as at your cinemas. At my two locals it has 7 and 9 screenings on Friday. Candyman only has one showing left at one of the cinemas. 

Could it be that they haven’t fully updated their showtimes yet?

Unfortunately not, they’re fully updated. To be fair, it is one of the biggest Cineworld’s with 20 screens, so it’s still getting 7 showings a day (plus one VIP), it’s just surprising that Candyman is still getting 6. I’m happy that Candyman is still doing decently enough to keep on though, I’m just surprised that Universal didn’t push for them to have more Halloween showings.

The BFI IMAX is not showing Venom 2 which isn't too surprising, I suspect NTTD had a three week clause since it's filmed in IMAX. Cineworld LS has it in IMAX for one evening showing with Bond taking the earlier showings, I'm surprised they didn't just put Venom in the Superscreen and have Bond in IMAX for another week. 

12 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Well, it definitely seems like Halloween Kills is getting screwed over in the UK. At my local Cineworld, it’s in the small/mid size screens and only has one more showing per day than Candyman is currently still getting. At The Light it’s got two showings per day in one of their smallest screens…

I know it’s up against Bond and Venom, but you’d have thought it’d have at least got one of the bigger screens on a Friday/Saturday night.

Same here in Denmark. Only a few evening screens in small rooms. JB and Venom are selling way to good

Edited by fmpro

13 hours ago, Mike Hunt said:

8 - 10 October 2021 - Screen Daily Numbers

1. No Time to Die - £15,200,000 (-27.6%) / £52,600,000 / Week 2
2. The Addams Family 2 - £2,000,000 / Week 1
3. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - £556,579 (-29%) / £20,500,000 / Week 6
4. The PAW Patrol Movie - £126,000 (-49.8%) / £8,300,000 / Week 9
5. The Many Saints of Newark - £125,000 (-47.3%) / £1,900,000 / Week 3
6. Free Guy - £108,567 (-59.8%) / £16,800,000 / Week 9

Candyman - £73,892 / £5,100,000
Deadly Cuts - £51,194 / 79 sites / Week 1
Respect - £41,828 / £2,100,000
The Croods 2: A New Age - £35,847 / £9,900,000
Boris Godunov - MET Opera 2021 - £29,679 / 81 sites / Week 1
Spirit Untamed - £28,458 / £3,400,000
Malignant - £24,000 / £1,450,000
Space Jam: A New Legacy - £20,000 / £12,860,000
Jungle Cruise - £19,024 / £12,500,000 (CLOSING OUT)
Cloudy Mountains - £8,286 (inc. previews) / Week 1
Romantic Road - £1,253 / 1 site / Week 1

So is it possible that NTTD gross more in UK than in USA??

I don’t see the issue with Halloween showtimes. It’s a horror, the majority of people won’t be going to watch this at 1 in the afternoon, and it’s not going to be getting multiple shows an hour like a big blockbuster, or even the biggest screen for that matter, especially when Bond and Venom are out. The showtimes it has are probably enough to meet demand. It’s getting 15 shows on Friday at Vue Westfield,  17 at Vue Westfield Stratford. That is pretty insane for a horror actually.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Heretic said:

I don’t see the issue with Halloween showtimes. It’s a horror, the majority of people won’t be going to watch this at 1 in the afternoon, and it’s not going to be getting multiple shows an hour like a big blockbuster, or even the biggest screen for that matter, especially when Bond and Venom are out. The showtimes it has are probably enough to meet demand. It’s getting 15 shows on Friday at Vue Westfield,  17 at Vue Westfield Stratford. That is pretty insane for a horror actually.

That's waaaaay more than similar sized cinemas in Odeon and Cineworld. My local Everyman isn't getting it outright. There's something to be said for it being a victim of the glut of new releases this weekend, maybe should have been held back a week. 

14 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

That's waaaaay more than similar sized cinemas in Odeon and Cineworld. My local Everyman isn't getting it outright. There's something to be said for it being a victim of the glut of new releases this weekend, maybe should have been held back a week. 

I don’t think any week this October would have been any better for it really, delay it a week and it’s going up against Dune, delay it two weeks and it has Halloween weekend mostly to itself, but then it’d die very quickly after the 31st. 

It does seem to be performing fairly well so far around me though despite the smaller screens. Vue is unexpectedly almost sold out for a couple of showings.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I don’t think any week this October would have been any better for it really, delay it a week and it’s going up against Dune, delay it two weeks and it has Halloween weekend mostly to itself, but then it’d die very quickly after the 31st. 

It does seem to be performing fairly well so far around me though despite the smaller screens. Vue is unexpectedly almost sold out for a couple of showings.

I think around me at least, if it released next week it would have a bit more of a chance on two counts:

The first, it's new competition is Dune, yes, but Dune is heavily focused on IMAX, Dolby and all the other PLF screens, they might have had a better shot at securing 1st or 2nd biggest standard screens

The second is that Venom won't be in its Opening Weekend, Last Duel will likely be getting dumped out of a good chunk of cinemas.

But, you're probably right, given the state of this October, there really wasn't a good weekend to release this once Venom moved. 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 10:03 PM, wildphantom said:

I’m running out of superlatives for NTTD’s performance in the U.K.  During a pandemic and doing these kind of numbers is one of the biggest box office stories of the last ten years, easily. 

I agree. James Bond is also extremely popular in Greece. 'Skyfall' was the second biggest Hollywood film of the last decade, behind 'Joker'. However, 'No Time to Die's' opening weekend was only half of 'Spectre'/'Skyfall'. NTtD's run in the UK is mind-boggling.

• Like 1

The most incredible thing is that Bond popularity has already last 60 years worldwide and still popular today

Nothing can popular forever,James Bond is popular in EVERY SINGLE COUNTRY in 1960s ,include Asia,Latin and some territories where Bond is not popular today

Pirates of Caribbean,Transformer,Harry Potter.......their popularity last over 10 years,and that is impressive,but Bond just doing far more greater than any of  them

Compare with the same feature,for instance,Mission Impossible series ,can anyone say it will still popular in Asia market in 2050/2060?But Bond will be still popular even 2100.

That's just a miracle for the film industry history,and obviously,Bond derseve that

Edited by Bruce

22 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Yeh I checked my local and Friday is selling really well. I’d imagine the night shows will all be sold out by tomorrow. 

I bet Universal aren’t happy though about losing all PLF’s. Halloween Kills had this release date before Venom 2, Dune and Bond. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh I checked my local and Friday is selling really well. I’d imagine the night shows will all be sold out by tomorrow. 

I bet Universal aren’t happy though about losing all PLF’s. Halloween Kills had this release date before Venom 2, Dune and Bond. 

NGL, I thought IMAX contracts were more strict than this, or at least they used to be