Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

5 hours ago, MadGoose said:

One thing to keep in mind is that TSoD just can't open as high as CoG did even pre pandemic. As long as the film does 500 million + (I can see that, take out Russia, China mostly, and then account for realistic pandemic setting), that's a win I'd think. 

Franchise films have largely been unaffected by the pandemic since Bond came out last October. The Harry Potter series is arguably one of the biggest in the UK, so if Fantastic Beasts drops from its predecessor, it won’t have anything to do with the pandemic, and everything to do with diminishing returns after two middlingly received prior entries.

• Disbelief 1

It’s incredible how much the Beasts franchise has disintegrated into being effectively just another Turtles sequel to audiences. Take it or leave it. 

whilst I think Harry Potter itself is still as popular as ever, general audiences are really not that bothered about rushing out to see Beasts 3. They don’t really watch the first two on repeat at all. They know this is coming out and are fine to catch up with it down the road. 

That’s what happens when you make an ambivalent instalment with no real story people are excited to see conclude, and no characters they really care about. 

I mean, I’ll be there this weekend. I love the wizarding world and regardless of what I thought of Grindelwald, I’m there just for the craft - these films look great and are so well made. But other than the true hardcore I feel like walk-ups are no more likely to pick it over Sonic. 

I hope I’m wrong and Dumbledore does great, but it doesn’t feel like it at all. I feel zero anticipation in the zeitgeist for it whatsoever. 

You’ve got a real problem when a franchise so associated with kids doesn’t appeal to them. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

17 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Why not? Sonic opened 5% higher than the last one and that was juuuust pre pandemic. 

The films making more than 600 million in pandemic times are super rare. I have no doubt The Batman and most of the big films releasing now (and especially earlier in the pandemic) would make more in regular times. And let's not even talk about China which is going to be dead for a while with the zero covid policy. That alone means remove 30 million+ probably from the CoG gross, remove Russia, etc. 

7 hours ago, Mr Roark said:

So it looks like NWH won’t be able to top NTTD. Is the UK the only market where Spidey is not the #1 film of 2021?

Apart from Japan, I think Germany and some Nordic countries where Bond was also top. Then China obviously

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

James Bond // 007

26 minutes ago, SupermanLego said:

Batman I thought. Bond is on a whole new level compared to both of them.

Bond is not a SH though.

As for Spidey and Batman, the Raimi movies outgrossed Batman begins but then TDK established Batman as the biggest SH and I would say it remained that way till recently. But The Batman 2022 is unlikely to out gross FFH and then there is NWH which is a special case. I'd say for now its a toss. But anyways lets not get into this subjective debate, better stick to UK BO

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Bond is not a SH though.

As for Spidey and Batman, the Raimi movies outgrossed Batman begins but then TDK established Batman as the biggest SH and I would say it remained that way till recently. But The Batman 2022 is unlikely to out gross FFH and then there is NWH which is a special case. I'd say for now its a toss. But anyways lets not get into this subjective debate, better stick to UK BO

The Batman has already outgrossed FFH in the UK. It should do 40M+ its at 38M now. 

6 hours ago, MadGoose said:

The films making more than 600 million in pandemic times are super rare. I have no doubt The Batman and most of the big films releasing now (and especially earlier in the pandemic) would make more in regular times. And let's not even talk about China which is going to be dead for a while with the zero covid policy. That alone means remove 30 million+ probably from the CoG gross, remove Russia, etc. 

Oh yes, sorry I was talking about in the UK. If Sonic 2 increased, so can Fantastic Beasts (market condition wise).

5 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

I was taking numbers from Mojo and that had TB at 43m and FFH at 50. Different conversion rates perhaps

Always stick with local currency. 

29 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Oh yes, sorry I was talking about in the UK. If Sonic 2 increased, so can Fantastic Beasts (market condition wise).

Always stick with local currency. 

That would be ideal but easier said than done. I don't know of any website like Mojo that gives grosses in local currency for UK. Is there any?