Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Harry Potter fan fiction is the place on the internet where you simultanously want and DONT want to be.

And yes, even the ones where Neville is Voldemorts son and Ron eats Hermiones parents are better than Crimes of Grindelwald.

56 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

It's not for lack of trying, it's been trailered like crazy, I constantly see ads on TV at the gym, there's billboards all over my town, people are aware and uncaring. 

I'm against it because I viscerally despised Crimes of Grindelwald like I didn't know was possible, and revel in the fact that it's paying for its sins. I've go no interest in watching anything further in this fan fiction series. 

You're still against it when this movie took the time to improve on CoG?

Seems like more is going on with you with this film than just CoG with reactions this passionate...so visceral. 

6 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Harry Potter fan fiction is the place on the internet where you simultanously want and DONT want to be.

And yes, even the ones where Neville is Voldemorts son and Ron eats Hermiones parents are better than Crimes of Grindelwald.

Holy shit, I need links to this stuff! 

9 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Holy shit, I need links to this stuff! 

Ive read that years ago so i woudnt find those 2 specifically anymore sorry. BUT i can give you the inspiration for the second one:

Just now, Immortal said:

That's an AI generated book not fanfiction

Yes i know but one line there is something like "Ron eats Hermiones family" and that inspired a (bad) fanfiction ive read some time ago.

2 hours ago, MadGoose said:

I've seen some (in the UK I guess) say they felt marketing wasn't pushed as strongly there. I can't say really, not sure how you would even go about measuring that. 

I feel like that’s just denial and soul searching after the surprising opening weekend results. I’ve seen the trailer in UK cinemas before pretty much every film since at least No Time to Die last October. Outside cinemas it’s been pushed very hard over the last month too, with billboards, bus ads, bus stop ads and TV spots everywhere. I was down in London a couple of weeks ago too and it was everywhere.

The last film undeniably poisoned the well, there’s no other explanation for it cratering like this in a Harry Potter stronghold like the UK.

What are we all thinking about the Northman?

Just looked at my local Odeon and it's only getting 3/40 screenings this weekend and immediately dropping to 2 showings on the Sunday.

Fantastic Beasts and Sonic are holding on to most of the screens and The Lost City/Operation Mincemeat also release this weekend in the UK. Feels like it will struggle to find an audience with those odds but I've seen a fair amount of advertising around, a few TV spots and a lot more bus ads than I expected. 

1 minute ago, FilmFincher said:

What are we all thinking about the Northman?

Just looked at my local Odeon and it's only getting 3/40 screenings this weekend and immediately dropping to 2 showings on the Sunday.

Fantastic Beasts and Sonic are holding on to most of the screens and The Lost City/Operation Mincemeat also release this weekend in the UK. Feels like it will struggle to find an audience with those odds but I've seen a fair amount of advertising around, a few TV spots and a lot more bus ads than I expected. 

I'm not expecting much tbh, if it can get close to £1m that's probably a success. My local has it on awful small screens during the day, awful mid sized screens in the evening, gonna try and catch a dolby show on the west end in the next week

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I actually think TSOD underperforming is possibly a good thing in the long term because the franchise needs new blood going forward. 

Doesn't need any new blood. Most audiences and fans are loving the film, calling it the best of the three. 

40 minutes ago, MadGoose said:

Doesn't need any new blood. Most audiences and fans are loving the film, calling it the best of the three. 

Regardless, if they want to stop the audience haemorrhaging and bring back the general audiences that have abandoned it between CoG and TSoD, they’ll need to freshen it up somehow for the next one (if they move forward with it). There’s only so far you can coast relying on the core fans to show up.

Edited by SnokesLegs

45 minutes ago, MadGoose said:

I really liked TSoD, but the Wizarding World needs a new creative team and director now. Yates has done some great things, but it’s time for someone new.